Archived on 6/5/2022

High Street Shop Work

anon27836993
6 Jun '20

A friend of mine has had enough including there neighbours with constant banging and drilling etc.
The walls are thin and no sound proofing at all trust me I have heard this myself and wow. I appreciate the stress it can cause even when the loud music happened. Though the residents do appreciate they need to make there shops look nice and have been accommodating to there needs.
They push there luck every-time and don’t like it when they are told straight. They have apparently taken this up with the council and made complaints to the landlord. The selfishness and stress it has caused a few residents is not fair. When will the shop owners, landlords and council take responsibility and action. Especially when it goes into weekend!!
It’s very inconsiderate to not appreciate or respect what is being heard and lies told to residents face to get out of the matter just to get the job done regardless. It shouldn’t have to be like that!!

starman
6 Jun '20

Is the neighbour a retail unit? Are they doing building work and renovations?

anon27836993
6 Jun '20

Hi, yes indeed!!

Lj
6 Jun '20

You haven’t provided much detail with regards to the type of unit and works…

Is this a retail unit who are possibly doing adaptions to be compliant with social distancing when they re-open?

Are they doing it during anti-social hours? Unfortunately construction works can operate during the day. You can find out what working hours has been granted by the council, but usually it is permitted Mon-Fri 08.00-18.00hrs and Saturdays 08.00-13.00.

marymck
7 Jun '20

One of the unexpected and unwelcome side effects of the Covid-19 crisis is that developers can apply for extended hours to building works Mon-Sat till 21.00 hrs. They have to have Council permission to do so and this only applies to works that have required planning permission.

Unfortunately a lot of unneighbourly changes are sliding in under the radar. Lewisham Council are using the excuse of Covid-19 to propose to remove a lot of neighbour’s rights to a Planning Committee hearing prior to planning approval. I shall post a link about this on a separate thread, as I don’t want to derail this one.

Lj
7 Jun '20

Yes, I’m aware of this I work in construction.