Archived on 6/5/2022

Horniman Butterfly House - Now Open

anon5422159
13 Aug '17
RachaelDunlop
23 Aug '17

We went today - it was lovely. Very warm and humid in the butterfly house, so dress appropriately! Apart from the many butterflies flying around, I saw several laying eggs which I’ve not seen before (in the slightly blurry photo you can see the body curved up to deposit the egg on the leaf). And there is a pupae cabinet with pupae at various stages of development. We were watching one butterfly trying to emerge, but it looked like it might take a while!

Well worth a visit.

Foresthillnick
23 Aug '17

Is it just a turn up and go or do you need to book in for a session?

RachaelDunlop
23 Aug '17

We booked online, but I think there were people buying tickets on the spot as well.

starman
23 Aug '17

They seem to be pushing pre-booking but so does any attraction. I’m guessing its really busy during the school holidays?

RachaelDunlop
23 Aug '17

It was pretty busy this afternoon and they were letting people in in small batches, but it only takes 20-30 minutes maximum to visit, so turnover is pretty quick.

Daffodil
23 Aug '17

During the school holidays it is busier, we had to wait for a slot for about an hour, but that was fine as we got an ice-cream and walked around the amazing pumpkin patch and the gardens until it was our time. You don’t need to queue as they give you a slot and a ticket and then you go back later.

I do think the annual membership is worth it as it gives access to exhibitions, aquarium and butterfly house, with the children I usually visit most school holidays so it works out cheaper to be a member.

Foresthillnick
2 Nov '17

I went yesterday and was surprised how long a stayed - about an hour I think. Worth the entrance fee.!Here are a couple of shots from my trip