Archived on 6/5/2022

How to get covered in parakeets in London

Andy
1 Feb '18

The Londonist video is from Kensington Gardens, but will our little green flying Hornimen eat apple from our hands? Is One Tree Hill the best place to try?

RachaelDunlop
1 Feb '18

There is a huge flock in Beckenham Place Park.

Will
2 Feb '18

They are also nesting in the tower of the old fire station on corner of perry vale / woolstone road. Although probably not the most accessible place to get up close.

starman
2 Feb '18

I so enjoy watching them fly between the trees in my back garden. I’d love to coax them down to ground level if I could. Is there any particular feed that parakeets like?

ThorNogson
2 Feb '18

They seem to like the pears in my garden

InTheNightGarden
5 Feb '18

There are a family of them return to the tree in my garden year after year. I leave cut fruit for them on the garden table. They love melon!

starman
5 Feb '18

Thanks for the tips of fruit to bring the parakeets down from the canopy. I’d of though that the other critters might also be tempted by the fruit though.

Smallprintbooks
8 Feb '18

For anyone who is a fan of these colourful feathered friends we have the authors of ‘Parrots Don’t Live in the City’ coming to Smallprint to do a storytelling and parroty puppet making session on the 10th March! It’s self-published title which is def worth supporting and one of the authors lives in Herne Hill so guess where the idea for the book came from…

ThorNogson
8 Feb '18

Yes foxes eat windfall fruits on the ground. So the challenge is fruit too high and difficult for foxes but low enough so you can still see the parrots. Good luck.