Archived on 6/5/2022

How to source a 70’s item

Gillipops
20 Aug '18

Hiya. When on a mission, I know how to research an item via the web to within an inch of my life…but I’m stumped for this one, as I don’t know what to ‘type into the subject header/description’ in order to find it!!!

It was a 70’s piece of livingroom decor…it didn’t serve any purpose - just was groovy and very of its’ time. Stem black, black wire bendy/moving/waving around arms… And at the end of each bending black wire arm - a silver ball. An utterly pointless gizmo - but utterly groovy.

I’m trying to find one. It doesn’t need to be from the 70’s - there are plenty of brand new ‘retro styled items’ from that era i.e. lava lamps, Newton’s cradle etc. But this item was just a cheepy bit of fun for the house in the 70’s and I can’t find the wording for it, in order to search for its modern repro counterpart!!!

armadillo
20 Aug '18

Do you mean a kinetic ball sculpture? Looks like originals go for some serious money…

https://www.1stdibs.co.uk/furniture/decorative-objects/sculptures/mobiles-kinetic-sculptures/1960s-kinetic-ball-sculpture/id-f_10454623/?utm_content=test&currency=gbp&gclid=CjwKCAjwzenbBRB3EiwAItS-u5pcelTPuAejkpXJVtS9RaQqDDtuCnTe7HCuHg9K2jKfMkyCXDEtJRoCVAsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

anon22025233
20 Aug '18

Fun to make though I reckon

ForestHull
20 Aug '18

There are cheaper similar things on Etsy e.g.

(I searched for ‘kinetic ball sculpture’, but ‘ball tree’ may yield more results too)

armadillo
20 Aug '18

My wife just reminded me that a friend of ours has a similarly styled table lamp from IKEA

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/lighting/table-lamps/hovnäs-table-lamp-art-70388856/

Gillipops
22 Aug '18

I can’t believe how expensive some of them are! Thanks for all your replies!

Gillipops
30 Jan '21

I’ve just had a hankering to find one of these again… so, it’s called a Kinetic ball sculpture eh? Sadly, 2.5 years after I raised this original topic - a chrome kinetic ball sculpture seems to be even more expensive and rarer to find than a Dodo. It’s so sad when I think of all the 1970’s things that were around my house when I was a child, and yet have disappeared. My mum was never a ‘throw away’ person - and yet they just seem to have gone, and now I’d love to have them back on display.