How was your commute?

trains

Yeah it all good - just a silly old codger cycling in the rain! It’s still better than taking train by the sounds of some posts here though!

Awful. Back to the old ‘tin’ trains with less coaches peak times. Feels like it’s back to the days before East London Line - packed, old trains. Horsham/Gatwick service used to stop at New Cross Gate, handy for when Southern decides to run fast from London Bridge to Crystal Palace, so it was good to change for Overground at Nxg. Now that’s gone. 8.09am to Victoria super slow and takes about 10min at Crystal Palace. Also noticed that trains into London Bridge are slow and have to wait much longer for a free platform. Massive downgrade. Maybe this new timetable works for some, somehow I feel majority of commuters are let down by it.

Every time!!!

I’d only just discovered that Horsham train interchange at NXG recently - such a shame it’s gone.

I went into the office early today and no bike has have to go out to Berks later. Jumped on a 185 and there’s now only two Victoria trains between 7&8 from Denmark Hill. So I stayed on the bus and got there at the same time.

All I can say the 17;10 to Sutton stopping at forest hill is great

And for the morning instead getting the 07:52 I get the 07:43 so don’t really understand the problem

For anyone suffering the new timetable, cancellations and delays, there’s a petition gaining signatures here:

While i don’t think nationalisation is the answer, the current management don’t seem to realise how critical this infrastructure is to so many people and businesses as are just playing with the railway in my opinion.

Interesting to see that the new timetable has even got Thameslink in trouble with Poundland!

The rescheduled 06.45 to 06.43 (which has never been on time since the new timetable started) was cancelled this morning… I couldn’t be bothered waiting until the 06.58 so got on the Overground to CW and changed onto the Jubilee Line to Waterloo… which reminded me why I never take this route in the morning… I cannot believe how busy that route is even at that time in the morning.

Yes. The Overground is a victim of its own success. It started with only 4 carriage trains. Now it has 5 per train. I can get on them now, but there is no chance of a seat. I find it peculiar that that the Overground has more carriages than some mainline trains!Personally, I think we should give up with the mainline trains, increase the number of Overground trains and restrict the stopping lines to the Overground.

I don’t think that Canada Water northbound overground platform would cope with the increased number of commuters. The westbound jubilee line trains would also not have capacity.

EDIT: Crossrail may change how people use the overground / jubilee line, so I hopefully stand to be corrected.

I would love to see an overground service terminating at London Bridge; however, I don’t expect that will happen in my lifetime.

I’ve only been commuting this week, twice in the morning from FOH to london bridge where the train has had to wait outside LBG for a platform. That part of the journey therefore takes much longer than it used to. Other morning services to canada water seem much as usual. The real shame for me is the change in time of the morning service via crystal palace to Victoria - if it was on time i could get a seat and get to work on the 8.06 just by 9am, but the new later departure time makes it unsuitable.

Though GTR are culpable, the DfT and the Secretary of State are ultimately responsible:

I preferred it when we had mainline trains every ten minutes from Forest Hill to London Bridge and the occasional train to Charing Cross.

I would suggest Overground trains from Crystal Palace to Canada Water only. They could come in on the southbound platform, which has greater passenger capacity.

I think we are blessed to have both and glad to have a choice so I can avoid the overground

Amen!

I couldn’t go back to how it was, even if the every 10 min service to London Bridge was good. Forest Hill station wouldn’t have seen the investment it received if it wasn’t for the ELL extension and is now a real turn up and go station (well at least from Platform 1).

I also like the fact I can travel to other parts of London for £1.50 such as Stratford instead of some of the expensive prices if only using National Rail services or a mix of NR and the tube.

preferred it when we had mainline trains every ten minutes from Forest Hill to London Bridge and the occasional train to Charing Cross.

I would suggest Overground trains from Crystal Palace to Canada Water only. They could come in on the southbound platform, which has greater passenger capacity.

Blockquote
I think this is a brilliant idea! and they should axe the stupid New Cross train as its only a 3 min walk to New X gate and the trains run empty from Canada water and are utterly pointless.

06.43 cancelled again this morning. 06.58 running late.

And I’ve yet to see any of the newer trains on our routes - what about these?