Archived on 6/5/2022

Hummingbirds?

FaeryCatmother
21 Apr '18

I swear I just saw a hummingbird in our garden. I’ve never seen one before and it was too quick for me to take a photo. Is this likely, or do I need to lay off the turps?

anon51837532
21 Apr '18

On walks down the Ribbon Park, I have seen many interesting bird species and a few humming birds.

So looks like your consumption levels are ok - although my prefs would be g@t.for the summer.

ThorNogson
21 Apr '18

I’ve never heard of hummingbirds in London - wonder if what has been seen is the hummingbird hawk moth which looks uncannily like a bird but is a type of moth which definitely does visit the UK.

RachaelDunlop
21 Apr '18

Not a hummingbird, no.

anon51837532
21 Apr '18

oops - is this my should have gone to Specsavers moment ?

RachaelDunlop
21 Apr '18

Should have gone to Google, maybe.

anon51837532
21 Apr '18

It’s all Attenboroughs’s fault.

Can never take a walk in a park but I hear his mellifluous tone in my head.

Never mind - I have never encountered gorillas either it would seem.

starman
21 Apr '18

I’ve seen bears. But usually around Vauxhall and parts of Soho.

ThorNogson
21 Apr '18

Gorillas- Maybe keep off those g&ts while out walking. In all seriousness though I would be excited to see a hummingbird hawk moth locally. There is a butterfly conservation website that asks you to record sightings. Meanwhile we are seeing bats in the garden these warm evenings and looking forward to stag beetle season soon to come.

anon51837532
21 Apr '18

Following a tip on here from @Rebecca_Headd - I have installed a bat detector on my phone - haven’t had the chance to use it yet.

FaeryCatmother
21 Apr '18

It definitely wasn’t a hummingbird hawk moth. I’ve seen those before. It was a different colour for a start.

Julia_Minnear
21 Apr '18

Could be goldcrest as they can hover like hummingbirds for a time.

Mike_Acord
27 Apr '18

I was about to suggest the same thing. I flatly refuse to believe humming birds are in London. If it was a small fast bird, it could’ve been a wren…

jonfrewin
27 Apr '18

When we travel to Minnesota in the summer, which we do frequently, we spend a lot of time around hummingbirds. They are just amazing to watch, and many people have a hummingbird feeder hanging somewhere around their homes. It’s filled with just a mixture of sugar and water, and the ensuing fights between birds are a joy to behold!

Brett
27 Apr '18

indeed. Humming Birds are a New World species.

starman
27 Apr '18

As are parakeets.

Brett
27 Apr '18

I thought those parakeets came from Africa, but happy to be corrected.

ETA: probably Asia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose-ringed_parakeet