Archived on 6/5/2022

Il Mirto [Closed in August 2018]

Ed
13 Oct '16

Stumbled upon this listing on Gumtree. Looks like Il Mirto is looking for a new owner…

Italian del- ice-cream parlour for sale.
Very good long term investment in an up and coming area.
Possibility to increase sales.
Please contact for details about price

RachaelDunlop
13 Oct '16

Funnily enough, I was walking past yesterday and looked in. Nothing I wanted to buy, a very mixed selection. I think it could do well with a bit more focus, but at the moment it doesn’t really offer anything that existing established businesses don’t already offer.

starman
13 Oct '16

I love this place and couldn’t disagree more with @RachaelDunlop. It is my source for wonderful dried pastas particularly fregola. They have the most wonderful sweet Italian fennel sausage. Their homemade canoli (not the smaller ones) are among the nicest I’ve had. They have an amazing selection of Italian/Sardinian meats such as a great mortadella. Plus I’ve gotten used to using superior tinned tomatoes from Italy. And I love the few fresh items them bring in from Sardinia like their basil and sweet onions.

And I get a free ice cream with every shop. I for one would miss them.

Simon
13 Oct '16

I think it is a great little place and have bought some lovely northern Italian wine from them in recent weeks. Would certainly be sad to see them go.

The marketing side of things doesn’t help them however, as Rachael says, mixed messages and odd layout. They do need a make-over.

starman
13 Oct '16

That I agree. And service can be terribly slow.

Dan
13 Oct '16

I’m a massive fan of this place.

Speck ham, Burrata, DECENT Olives and fresh Arancini are not things you come across easily.

Maybe they are having troubles keeping this place and the restaurant in East Dulwich going at the same time?

Would be really disappointed to see these guys leave!

Ed
13 Oct '16

They always seem busy enough to me so guess its not an issue with lack of business. As @Dan says, perhaps the effort of keeping two places going is proving too much.

If I remember rightly, when they first took on that unit they wanted to turn it into a pizza restaurant but were refused planning permission. Must be pretty tough for them to see Bona doing so well.

RachaelDunlop
13 Oct '16

Well, there you go, I’m glad to be proved wrong!

Is it normal to advertise going concern businesses in Gumtree?

starman
13 Oct '16

Restaurant?

Anotherjohn
13 Oct '16

Hi Rachel
Not that I’ve ever advertised an ongoing business on Gumtree, but I have successfully let a few vacant shops through them. In fact, I received way more contact from Gumtree than Rightmove and Zoopla etc so it’s clear that business people are being tuned-in - maybe via a Google search?
The beauty of Gumtree is that it’s free (compared with the £000s that agents charge) and, by dealing directly with the applicant, you get the opportunity to really get a feel for what they’re all about.
In this instance though, the existing business owner will need to propose the applicant to the Landlord, who will have the final say as to whether they’re acceptable or not.
In my experience, as a shopkeeper (not Landlord), it can be a long and drawn-out nightmare.
I hope everything works out for the best here.

RachaelDunlop
13 Oct '16

Thanks for that info, @Anotherjohn. very interesting.

Pauline
13 Oct '16

I don’t think asking for a premium to take on a lease in FH will be easy, so this may well be as @Anotherjohn said a very long process.

As far as I know accounts will probably have to be shown to justify a premium and most would probably expect a 5 year history, so even more difficult for a newish business.

I know of a few businesses in FH that wanted a premium for their lease but ended up passing on the lease without the premium to move on.

Whatever the case it probably won’t be easy.

I don’t know the situation or the reasons why but If the owners really want/need to move on I would say the best bet would be to speak to the landlord and ask if they can leave the contract early if that is what they need to do. Depending on the clauses they may or may not be able to do this.

We don’t know what the rent and overheads are before a profit is made, so can’t really judge on this without knowing.

I only know a bit about this as I almost took on a second shop premises in Hoxton a couple of years ago &'when others started showing an interest after my initial interest (which had no premium) the landlord added a premium last minute which put me off straight away so it made me very wary.

Sorry boss has to be said here @Anotherjohn is a local shop landlord and you couldn’t find a better and fairer shop landlord than him in FH!

His advice on this thread is probably invaluable :slight_smile:

appletree
16 Oct '16

Wow, Italian fennel sausage! I love it. Will stop in and get some.

Pauline
21 Jan '17

I now know the asking premium to take on this lease is 25k.

BirdinHand
8 Apr '18

Dear All, just a note to say that we had the most fabulous three course dinner with wine at Il Mirto Forest Hill. The tiramisu is to die for! On a wet and drizzly Sunday evening it was just what we needed. We are delighted to have this little piece of Italian sunshine in our neighbourhood and will return again soon.

starman
8 Apr '18

Do Il Morto serve meals?

BirdinHand
8 Apr '18

Yes they do. They only have inside seating for about six people, plus a few more outside for when the weather is good. They’re also fully licensed. So best to ring ahead to book.

Pauline
14 Aug '18

Looks like it closed down today, lots of equipment was removed and the shop was closed while it was being cleared out though the owner was inside clearing things out.

starman
14 Aug '18

This saddens me greatly. Twas an excellent source of pastas, Italian deli products and proper Italian tomatoes.

ThorNogson
14 Aug '18

Sorry to see this go - guess my periodic purchases of fennel sausages and cannoli were not enough in the end. Will have to start auditions for a new supplier…

natalieh101
14 Aug '18

No!!! Great place :sob: Please not another nail bar!

starman
14 Aug '18

Their fennel sausage was the closest I could find to a North American style Italian sausage. At least when I was last in I bought 3kg for freezing.

Dan
14 Aug '18

That’s really disappointing.

Pauline
14 Aug '18

Really hope it won’t be a nail bar, hairdressers, or Estate Agents. Though didn’t think it was my place to ask today.

Another load went out in a van this evening.

Gem
14 Aug '18

Ah what a shame! And also won’t be so good to have another empty shop unit on the street :frowning:

Anotherjohn
15 Aug '18

The ‘natural’ outcome for this premises would be for Aga’s Little Deli to expand sideways into it.
Aga has evolved her business from a one-off stall at the monthly station market a few years ago and she has stuck to her guns and made a real niche for herself in the town.
To be honest, I was gutted for the when Il Mirto opened a deli right next door, but diligent hard work, persistence and character kept her in the game and I’m so happy that she’s gone from strength to strength.
Fo me, this lady has what it takes to succeed with the additional premises and I would be the first one to help with a crowdfunder if she needed a bit of dosh to get it off the ground.

starman
15 Aug '18

Extra tables at Aga’s would be great. Nothing hurts my heart more is when I visit for the World’s Best cheese toastie to find no table available.

Though I never saw Aga’s Little Deli and Il Mirto as competitors, particularly with Il Mirto’s focus on Italian and Sicilian meats, cheese and other products. If anything I thought they complimented each other. Some may travel to Dartmouth Road for one, but more makes the trip much more attractive. I gather there was some grief between Il Mirto and other traders, but that predates my residency in FH.

I’d join you on the crowdfunder to, if only to ensure a seat for my cheese toastie, and to help get over the loss of the best fennel sausage in town.

Pauline
15 Aug '18

Someone has alreadt taken on the shop lease, but I don’t know who or what yet.

I know this because another D Rd trader wanted to expand and asked for the landlords details & was told that someone had taken it on already.

Anotherjohn
15 Aug '18

I think you’re right on that; and there was room for the Italian produce, which is why I hope Aga takes on this other shop where she could expand her range of offerings to fill the vacuum.

One caveat though. The Small Business Rates Relief scheme only applies to one premises per business, which would mean that the combined rent and rates on the second shop might make it unsustainable. So, perhaps, a way around that could be if the new bit was operated by a Ltd Co with Aga as a director?

I’ve just thought - here we are planning moves for Aga’s business but she’s probably totally happy with things as they are!

(Sorry Aga)

rbmartin
15 Aug '18

A massive shame, right next to the new bus stop too.

starman
15 Aug '18

Maybe a separation of the retail deli and the cafe?

Perhaps we can both discuss this with her and she can give us cheese toasties as thanks.

Anotherjohn
15 Aug '18

Yeh, anything for one of her cheese toasties.
She’ll more than likely whack me 'round the head with a sour dough baguette for interfering though!

bigmacca1
16 Aug '18

I wonder if the chaos of the never ending road refurb was the nail in the coffin ?

Anotherjohn
16 Aug '18

No, bigmacca1, I don’t.

No disrespect to Il Mirto, but I my understanding was that they took on the premises with the intention of running a restaurant, similar to their other one in Dulwich, but they hit some restriction or other and were forced into radically changing their business model. In my opinion, it never really took off. It reminded me of a little shop that I rented-out in about 1990 running as an Italian deli & coffee bar called Enzo. The guy was authentic and passionate about his trade, like the chap at Il Mirto, but it was a bit hap-hazard and it never quite worked. The other thing was that Enzo (like Il Mirto) also had another business interest, wholesaling his own range of fresh pastas, jarred porchini mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes and olives etc so the shop wasn’t the be-all and end-all as far as he was concerned.

weepy
17 Aug '18

They were expecting to be able to sell pizza. But they were not allowed by the council. Obviously a big shift. They actually have been trying to sell the lease since almost they opened.
Inyetesting to find out what’s coming next !

Hollow
17 Aug '18

I’m really naive to this sort of stuff. But why wouldn’t you be allowed? Is it something to do with kitchen exhaust extraction? Or is it a different licence or something.

starman
17 Aug '18

I had no idea that this was an offshoot of a restaurant business in East Dulwich. I wonder if that business will take back some of the retail operations.

I presume the premises are currently classed A1 for retail use. To use as a restaurant the council would need to approve a change of class to A3 for restaurants.

From Lewisham planning I can see there was an effort to do this back in 2008, but nothing since. Has Il Mirto been there that long?

jonfrewin
17 Aug '18

No they’ve only been around a few years. If I remember correctly, after they’d signed the lease on the shop, they took soundings from Lewisham’s planning team, and were advised that an attempt to switch to A3 was likely to fail, so they never bothered even applying for permission to do that.

Anotherjohn
17 Aug '18

I know that the years fly by when you get to my age, but I’d be shocked if they’ve been there that long!
I’d’ve thought more like 2014/15-ish.

ThorNogson
17 Aug '18

the fennel sausage crisis might be over- Il Mirto must surely sell them in their East Dulwich deli, just round the corner from ED station. never been there and will have a look next time I’m up that way.
http://ilmirto.co.uk/italian-deli-gelato/

starman
17 Aug '18

Do they have a deli there? The website seemed to suggest that was just a restaurant/wine bar and the retail unit (deli) was here in Forest Hill. I suppose one could just call bu that is just so old fashioned.

Last time I bought them I bought the whole pack so it may have the producer on the label. If there, I’ll send you a PM.

ThorNogson
17 Aug '18

oh yes - I see what you mean

Brett
17 Aug '18

Gennaro’s in Lewisham sell an amazing fennel sausage from Tuscany. That’s been my source for years.

starman
17 Aug '18

Would it now be called Antonio’s?

appletree
17 Aug '18

Really sorry to lose Il Mirto, not least for the fennel sausage. I couldn’t understand why they didn’t try to take in the lease of e.g. Dartmouth Tandoori, since they wanted to open a restaurant here. It’s not like there aren’t premises.

Every time there’s a step forward in the area it feels like there’s a step back. Il Mirto, Montage, Fig and Pistachio, Perry Vale… Why can’t good places stay?

maxrocks
17 Aug '18

I LOVED montage!
I really miss it tbh!

Brett
18 Aug '18

So it would seem. You gave me a start there as was worried it had changed hands.

Renamed after the owner. One of the best deli’s in London IMO.

Pauline
22 Aug '18

Apparently Chinese people have taken on the lease, and I’ve been told by the builders it will be a Fusion Cafe or a Tea Shop.

Not quite sure what it means though.

topofthehill
22 Aug '18

Chinese people used to own a fusion place in Dartmouth Road on the left going up from Forest Hill Station.
Food was good, but restaurant didn’t last for long as far as I remember.

Pauline
26 Aug '18

Latest I have heard is a Japanese Cafe!

If it’s good it could be great for the area :slight_smile:

jonfrewin
5 Oct '18

It’s interesting that Il Mirto is to become a restaurant, as they originally hoped to open as a pizza restaurant, but were informally advised by the council that a change of planning consent would likely not be forthcoming, so they switched strategy to become a gelateria and deli.

Martine78
5 Oct '18

Yes surprising and a bit disappointing as it would be nice to have a new type of business to what’s already available. The owner confirmed it will be a Chinese Fusion restaurant when I went over to ask the builders.

starman
8 Oct '18

But Chinese fused with what I wonder? I’d love a Chinese-Mexican restaurant. These are becoming quite popular across the pond.