Archived on 6/5/2022

Jewish in Forest Hill?

Lemur
23 Jun '17

Hi all, apologies for the appallingly late notice but I’m hosting a garden shabbat service at 6.30 tonight (Friday), together with some others from South London Liberal Synagogue in Streatham, we’ve discovered there’s a little cluster of us in SE23. It’ll be laid back, with singing and tea & cake afterwards. Get in touch if you’d like to attend and i can send you the address. There are some other garden shabbatot scheduled so if you can’t make tonight but are interested, I can send you details.

Shabbat shalom

Lianna

FaeryCatmother
23 Jun '17

Shalom!

I’ve been wondering if there was a Jewish community around here. Excuse me for the slightly off-topic reply - I’m not Jewish but I’ve been trying to track down (a) a good recipe for challah and (b) somewhere in London I can buy chicken schmaltz. If you can help with either I’d be grateful!

Londondrz
23 Jun '17

I cant help on the Challah but Sainsburys sell (or used to sell) schmaltz in the Bell Green store.

Einat
23 Jun '17

Hi Lianna

Can’t be there tonight but would love to be notified of future events. Thanks, Einat

appletree
24 Jun '17

Hi Lianna, we would be interested if you can let me know about future events. Thanks!

appletree
24 Jun '17

I have a great challah recipe. I can DM it to you once I have found it.

maxrocks
25 Jun '17

I’d be interested-I’m a lapsed jew can’t read hebrew I’m afraid but would still love to have a connection to the religion I was born into.
And attend the occasional shabbat service
Its hard to go to services for things like Yom Kippur etc when you’re not a member of a synagogue

Lemur
26 Jun '17

Hello all,

@FaeryCatmother, my partner uses this challah recipe and it is AMAZING: https://smittenkitchen.com/2008/09/best-challah-egg-bread/

@Einat / @Maxrocks / @Appletree - hi! Can you please DM me your email addresses and I can let you know of future shabbat get togethers? Sometimes we do a garden service, sometimes we just have a bring and share meal and kiddush.

Ruchamajb
26 Jun '17

Hi, I was out of town this weekend but would also love to be know about future events.

appletree
26 Jun '17

Really sorry but I don’t know how to DM on this site and can’t find any info in the instructions.

Londondrz
26 Jun '17

Hi Appletree, click on the person you want to DM’s icon and this will open up their profile. On there is the option to DM.

appletree
26 Jun '17

Thanks!

maxrocks
27 Jun '17

I’m confused I clicked on the icon and all I got was a ‘message’ logo didn’t know if it was a DM or if I’d be posting my email for all and sundry on the forum to see.
Is the envelope message sign the DM one???

Londondrz
28 Jun '17

I will get Chris to have a look at this for you. My setup is slightly different. Can I also suggest you look I’m the FAQ section which will have an ‘how to pm’ section. John

anon5422159
28 Jun '17

@maxrocks and @appletree, sorry for the lack of information on how to PM. I’ll add a guide to this.

In summary, click on the person you’d like to PM - this should bring up a box (or new page if you’re on smartphone). Click the Message button. This will be a private message that only the recipient can see.

RachaelDunlop
28 Jun '17

You’ll also know it’s a message rather than a forum post because it will look more like an email - there will be a box at the top showing who the message is going to, and then a subject line. The blue box to send the message will say ‘message’ rather than ‘reply’.

system
27 Aug '17

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.