Archived on 6/5/2022

Kilmorie closed [Reopen on Monday]

ForestHull
5 Nov '20

Received by parents this morning:

ForestHull
5 Nov '20

Wowzers. The timing of this is quite unfortunate, but the official line from Kilmorie is:

I really really hope they get back open, noting they didn’t manage to reopen before the summer holidays after the previous closure :frowning:

Dave
5 Nov '20

As another Kilmorie parent, I have seen the same comms.

Today’s situation is rapidly-developing and obviously worrying / distressing.

It’s worth noting that Kilmorie never actually closed - from the start of the pandemic through the Easter, half-term and summer holidays the school was providing care for the most vulnerable pupils and for the children of key workers. This was done on the premises while the staff were providing remote support and pastoral care (and developing this along the way) for those who were doing home learning.

ForestHull
5 Nov '20

While this is semantically true, for a great many families the school was effectively closed as their children were unable to attend and receive the same quality education.

Having 6 staff potentially exposed is a nightmare for any organisation though, and I hope they are all okay.

Fingers crossed for good news soon :crossed_fingers:

Dave
5 Nov '20

Fair point - and we were in the same boat. Thankfully this seems like a very different situation.

anonymous13
5 Nov '20

I read the staff shortage was caused by a member of premises staff testing positive causing 5 other members of staff to have to isolate. This is the second adult I have heard about testing positive at the school.

Zoe estimates 6000 cases per million in Lewisham, it’s very unlucky to have 2 of them work at one school.

It makes me wonder if people in these positions (with a large number of others somehow dependent on them not catching the virus) follow the rules/guidance accordingly. Am I terrible for wondering that?

ForestHull
6 Nov '20

There’s nothing terrible in using data to question what’s being presented…

ForestHull
6 Nov '20

Well good news from Kilmorie for Monday, fingers crossed:

I was actually thinking that there must be a lots of adults that used to run clubs or activities for children which have all now been shut for a long time - some permanently closed too. These folk are probably already CRB / DBS checked and could possibly be employed as additional help and assistants in schools to help fill in where staff are absent. That’s got to be more useful - and rewarding - than paying furlough.