Archived on 6/5/2022

Kilmorie Primary- site for weekend farmers market?

Pea
9 Dec '17

I’ve been mulling this over and wondered other people’s thoughts… having just had the Kilmorie Christmas Fair, is the school car park not a great spot for a weekly farmers market? This could be a little earner for the school and a great way to start the weekend and get the community together.

I don’t have any connection to the school but I’m sure if people think it’s a good idea we could share it with them. When I used to live in SW London, the clapham farmers market and balham market used to use a primary school for this and were great successes.

AmandaSE23
10 Dec '17

I can’t contribute anything either but as a local I would support this! I have connections to some markets traders if it helps

Michael
10 Dec '17

For a successful farmers market you really need a location with good footfall. Town centre locations or parks tend to be most successful. The best traders won’t want to come to a location that does not have the appropriate footfall and shoppers don’t want to go to a market that doesn’t have good traders.

However, according to my logic Brockley Market shouldn’t be a success, but it is (the lack of anything else to do in Brockley probably saves it). I don’t know about Clapham or Balham - are they close to town centres or parks?

Pea
10 Dec '17

Helpful info. Thanks Michale.

Clapham and Balham markets are away from the main stations- Clapham market is about 0.6 miles from Clapham South but has many houses nearby that clearly support something like this with their feet. The Balham one was a bit closer- perhaps a 5 min walk.

I think there are so many houses and families near Kilmorie that would support something like this.

The purpose of my post is to canvas opinion and if there is a good response from those locally suggest to the school as I’d love to see it happen.

AmandaSE23
11 Dec '17

Have to start somewhere, I remember Brockley when it was just starting. However you would need to invest money into canvassing the area 1-2miles around , through letter box leaflets, posters, social media, special launch market to get interest.

starman
11 Dec '17

One of the best farmer’s markets I’ve been to is the one in my old 'hood - Oval Farmer’s Market. It had a great selection of fresh food (fishmonger, butcher, cheese, veg) as well as a few foodie type stalls (sauces, jams), crafts and a few food trucks.

Opposite Oval station in grounds of a church it wasn’t in a town centre or a popular park. But it drew in the crowds every Saturday. I think if you get quality people will get to it.

Oval Farmer’s Market was organised by City and Country Farmer’s Markets. I think that was the reason for success as organisations like them have great relationships with a variety of producers.

Ed
11 Dec '17

I think that was the reason for success as organisations like them have great relationships with a variety of producers.

Very true.

That being said, local support is the most essential agreement. I used to do a CCFM market in Streatham but that died after a year or so. They had some good stallholders, but it wasn’t quite the right location (despite being in a place with a decent level of footfall), and the bottom line was that there just wasn’t enough local support.

With so many local markets these days, stallholders need to be able to count on a good turnout every week, otherwise there are plenty of other events to try.

Daffodil
11 Dec '17

Just a minor point but the school doesn’t have a car park…!

Pea
11 Dec '17

You’re right. I think I meant the courtyard area / playground

Nadia
12 Dec '17

I remember the Oval one @starman, it was great. Felt local, even though in the middle of a very busy road.
I like the idea of one at Kilmorie. Of course it depends on local support but what I think is a great pull is that the whole perry vale north/ not quite forest hill/ not quite honor oak area doesn’t have a very close local event like this, yet such a big residential area. I’m not a fan of the Horniman one to be honest, it’s too much of a mission for not a good variety of accessible produce. If Kilmorie could do that, I’d go there all the time.

system
10 Feb '18

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.