Archived on 6/5/2022

Kitchen Pop Ups at The All Inn One Pub

AllInnOne
19 Jul '17

Hello lovely people of SE23 :slight_smile:
Continuing our run of brilliant pop ups from around the world, the deliciously local @FowlMouths are back with us for July.

The popular Forest Hill-based outfit, renowned for their Japanese comfort food, has brought back some of their much-loved classics from their February stint here, alongside new beauties.
Teriyaki Chilli Wings, Kara-age Chicken and Miso Aubergine join newbies Ponzu Steak Skewers and delicious Chargrilled Tenderstem Broccoli with Sesame and Soy.

They’re serving Tuesday - Saturday 5-9.30pm, as well as lunch on Saturday, 12-3. No need to book a table we have ample of seating in or outside but it would help if you are a large group, so we hope to see you soon!

Londondrz
19 Jul '17

Would you mind posting us some to Norfolk please :slight_smile:

AllInnOne
19 Jul '17

:joy: Ha, ha, I’ll speak to Melissa I’m sure she can come up with something Uber, Deliveroo …hope you guys are ok

Stephen
19 Jul '17

It’d be great if you did delivery (tho just to SE23 mind!), little’un precludes evenings out without babysitter but love the food.

anon5422159
21 Jul '17

Thanks for supporting SE23.life, @AllInnOne :+1:

Londondrz
21 Jul '17

All good but missing your great hospitality!

Howdo
21 Jul '17

Bit confused after reading these reviews.We took the kids here for an end of term treat off the back of recommendations like these and those posted earlier in the year.

We stood at the bar for 3 or 4 minutes and were eventually acknowledged by one of the 4 or 5 bar staff gathered around the till. They were lovely and friendly once we were served. We asked for a menu and were handed a cumpled one from which we ordered all the small plates. The steak skewers were off though so we ordered double chicken wings. The edamame would have been better hot, but that might be personal preference and the squid and broccolli were passable but nothing more. The wings were ridiculously, crazily spicy. We thought we were spice fiends but these were off the scoville scale, They were inedible so we sent them back but they were returned to us with a message from the chef to say they were spicy, just as the menu said.

Refund refused we left hungry and £45 lighter and took the kids to the chippy. Shame.

It’s back to Sapporo in Catford for us next time.

anon5422159
21 Jul '17

Sad to hear about your experience @howdo.

Without wishing to challenge your review, I really enjoyed @FowlMouths - by far my favourite pop up so far. Zingy flavours, crisp, beautifully cooked.

More reviews here from the last time Fowl Mouths came to All Inn One: Fowl Mouths pop up at the All Inn One

Foresthillnick
22 Jul '17

Yeah me too - loved it the first time around. Wings were spicy but not challenging and I will be back before the end of the month for another go.
I guess everyone has an off day but I can honestly say that I have enjoyed all the pop-ups enormously…

RachaelDunlop
22 Jul '17

It’s horses for courses. I wasn’t as wowed as some people here were the first time round, although it was all tasty and definitely not inedible! I certainly didn’t leave hungry and would have their spicy fries again in a heartbeat.

Service was painfully slow the night we went, I think we waited more than half an hour between starters and mains, but I made allowances for a pop-up in an unfamiliar kitchen.

FowlMouths
22 Jul '17

Thanks for your feedback Howdo.
Edamame are often served at room temperature.
The Teriyaki Chilli Wings are one of our best-sellers and as the inclusion “chilli” in the title suggests, they’re supposed to have a kick.
I appreciate some hot foods are rendered inedible by the amount of spice used, and that heat tolerance varies greatly between individuals, but your comments to the team and on here are so at odds to other customers’ feedback.
Some guests ask the waiting staff for guidance on the heat level before ordering and a decision is made on that basis. I checked & was told you didn’t do this.
On Wednesday a 10yo boy asked about them & was given a sample. He then ordered a portion (full disclosure: he did succumb to a glass of a milk towards the end, but happily finished the lot…)
And as your waitress explained to you, she’s very sensitive to heat & had avoided the wings, only to try them this week & go on to order some on 2 successive days. If I’d had similar feedback to yours I would investigate and amend the recipe if appropriate. And I probably would have refunded yours - after all, I want my customers to enjoy eating with us. But on this occasion I didn’t feel it was fair.

That’s a shame Rachel - I recall you giving us lovely feedback when you ate with us.

Thanks to all for the kind comments. It’s good to be back in FH :heart:

RachaelDunlop
22 Jul '17

I certainly did give you lovely feedback on the bits that were lovely (like those spicy fries, yum!) and as you have so many delighted customers, I suspect it was just a matter of taste on my part that the overall experience for me didn’t quite live up to the rave reviews. The slow service I put down to you being victims of your success!

It’s great to get dialogue going between pop-ups and local customers here, long may it continue.

anon51837532
22 Jul '17

Linda and I returned on Saturday evening for our third sampling of the Fowl Mouths pop-up at All Inn One.

The menu is short and is very precise.

Any questions we may have had were fully answered by staff who have had both sampled the food and had clear insight as to how “hot” they found individual dishes.

There is nothing mysterious or deceptive in the menu narrative - the chicken wings are clearly described - Teriyaki Chilli Wings.

Given I am no chilli-hound, I found them hot but certainly not off any scale that may or may not apply.

So another visit and another good quality experience.

We visited after the two night madness of school break-ups that mean pubs and restaurants are flooded by teachers and staff celebrating end of term and I suspect we benefited from that (no criticism - these are generally very jolly in every sense).

No problems about having different accounts of our individual experiences and enjoyment - or otherwise.

It is very healthy after all.

Pauline
22 Jul '17

I too thought that Rachael, I thought your previous comments were that you thought the food was amazing!

Anyway I complete stick by my comments as @FowlMouths is completely amazing in my opinion

Pauline
22 Jul '17

Must say @RachaelDunlop both your comments/recommendations were the complete opposite.

Does anyone moderate you, guess I’m asking a question most want to ask in general.

Though will say I think you do a brilliant job, but you can be harsh sometimes.

Sorry xx

topofthehill
23 Jul '17

Can’t see why Rachael’'s comments need moderating. She gave her honest, balanced opinion, liking some things, others not being to her taste.

FowlMouths
23 Jul '17

I agree - great to get dialogue going. It’s useful for both parties.
The reason I was confused was because your initial feedback read:

"Had a really great meal with Fowl Mouths last night. Top tip, though - don’t stick your finger in your eye after eating the spicy fries!

Delicious food, fresh and hot and so tasty."

Which seems very different in tone to the above comment & didn’t suggest anything wasn’t to your liking (apart from Togarashi Eye, which isn’t nice for anyone!).

Glad you enjoyed @anon51837532 - it was brilliantly busy with all the teachers & the Haribo they left were a bonus.

And thanks for the kind words @Pauline :blush:

Looking forward to a couple of days R&R before our last week. This month has flown by.

RachaelDunlop
23 Jul '17

That was my fault, @FowlMouths. I didn’t mention the negatives in my first review as I wanted to be encouraging and they were both minor and probably down to personal taste. I should have mentioned them then or not at all (including now).

The point of my comments above (which I didn’t express very well) was that even as someone not as bowled over as others, I still couldn’t imagine leaving hungry.

Tracy
11 Aug '17

Oh wow just had a lovely dinner with the new Greek Pop up. Absolutely delicious. Would highly recommend. Well worth a try

Foresthillnick
11 Aug '17

Good to know as thinking of popping by next week…

AllInnOne
12 Aug '17

Thank you, Tracy, for eating with us and glad you enjoyed the food, we had great feedback from people. @Thelofood is with us this month Tuesday to Saturday cooking some gorgeous Greek food so hope to see many of forest hillers trying it. :slight_smile:

AllInnOne
12 Aug '17

See you soon Foresthillnick, we have some awesome beer on tap and some new Gins too :slight_smile:

Stix
12 Aug '17

I have to agree once again with those who have posted about the Greek at allinone, excellent value for the size of portion, if the Boys at the Bar are struggling to finish, you know it’s good!

Pauline
12 Aug '17

Is there spanakopita pie :yum::yum:

AllInnOne
12 Aug '17

Oh… is there just… @Pauline that was the first item on the menu to sell out of tonight. We had customers order the spanako-pita as tak -away too, it is soo good :slight_smile: a must try on our menu together with “The Original Greek Souvlaki (choose from Pork, Chicken, Beefteki or Vegetarian) in a Greek Pita Bread wrap with Tomato, Tzatziki,Onions and Chips.” £7

Pauline
12 Aug '17

Oh my, Take away too - Can’t resist a visit :yum::yum:

Stix
13 Aug '17

That’s odd, when I asked I was told there wasn’t a takeaway option. ?

starman
13 Aug '17

Id like a takeaway option.

AllInnOne
13 Aug '17

Hello @Stix, :slight_smile: we don’t really encourage the take away option for obvious reasons, we do like people to enjoy a drink or two in the pub but saying that we have done take aways for people that have had lunch or dinner and enjoyed something very much and wanted to take some more food home.
I’m sure we can do a Souvlaki Wrap to take away next time you pop in just let us know.

topofthehill
13 Aug '17

Can thoroughly recommend the hot cheese starter. Endorse earlier comments that portions are enormous!

AllInnOne
5 Oct '17

Another month another Pop - Up Kitchen at the All Inn One.
This time we welcome back “Eastern Bloc Peckham” - Peckham-inspired Eastern European street food with a twist.
They had some very successful Pop Ups at various Pubs in Peckham, Clapham and Soho so we hope the people of Forest Hill will pop in and try their quirky, tasty food. They are with us for the next 6 weeks, Tuesday to Saturday evenings & Saturday lunchtime. Eastern Bloc 1st week Menu .pdf (170.9 KB)

Foresthillnick
5 Oct '17

Menu looks great - we’ll pop down next week I hope!

AllInnOne
5 Oct '17

Hi Nick,
It will be nice to see you again, we had great feedback so far, very tasty food :slight_smile:

See you soon
Julia
All Inn One
53 Perry Vale, London, SE23 2NE
Phone 020 8699 3311
Email info@allinnone.org.uk mailto:info@allinnone.org.uk
www.allinnone.org.uk http://www.allinnone.org.uk/

divya_m
10 Oct '17

Tried the Eastern Bloc pop-up last weekend. Was excellent!

Foresthillnick
10 Oct '17

Good - going tonight and looking froward to it…
Anything you would recommend??

divya_m
10 Oct '17

We had the cauliflower tacos and chicken Shawarma, both of which were excellent. Also tried the baba ganoush – not my favourite but OH loved it. The dessert was a hit with everyone.

Foresthillnick
10 Oct '17

Cheers … I’m in here now trying to decide. The shawarma looks fab so far

anon5422159
10 Oct '17

Pics or it didn’t happen! :grin:

Foresthillnick
11 Oct '17

No pIcs - OH’s Birthday so I was told to put the phone away!
Really nice food and i’ll be back before the end of the month to try the pork belly.

wattsicle
15 Nov '17

Hi @AllInnOne is this eastern bloc’s last week with you, will they be there this Friday?

AllInnOne
15 Nov '17

Good Morning Laura,

Eastern Bloc finished the residency last Saturday, sorry :frowning: ….but we have the lovely @MaltPepperLDN with us to the end of December with an amazing menu, London’s first truly beer led, food concept, pop in and try them out.

All the best
Julia

All Inn One
53 Perry Vale, London, SE23 2NE
Phone 020 8699 3311
Email info@allinnone.org.uk mailto:info@allinnone.org.uk
www.allinnone.org.uk http://www.allinnone.org.uk/

MaltPepperLDN
15 Nov '17

Hello SE23, how’s it going?

Just wanted to drop by and introduce ourselves as the new residency @AllInnOne , we kicked off yesterday and will be with the guys there until the end of the year – including a Christmas menu. (SALES PITCH ALERT: if you haven’t organised your Christmas gathering yet, and why would you have? It’s mid November! Drop Julia a line and she can ping you a copy across). We’ll be serving food Monday - Saturday.

We’re a couple of South London lads, and occasionally a Brazlian lass, who were inspired by the abundance of amazing beer available in the UK and big, hearty plates of food, so we put the two together! I suppose you’d define our cuisine as British/ European with a boozy twist (though we like to pretend we’ve created a new cuisine.) Our signature dishes include stout braised pork belly, slow cooked cherry sour pork ribs and our really naughty dirty fries.

We’ve come straight from The Bear in Camberwell, and are looking forward to seeing out the rest of 2017 in Forest Hill. You’ll probably find one (or both) of us scouting out exciting beers in @ClaptonCraft to turn into desserts, I’m ALWAYS experimenting with desserts.

We look forward to feeding you,

Dan & John (and sometimes Camilla)

www.maltandpepper.london
Give us a follow on: Twitter & Instagram

anon51837532
17 Nov '17

On one of our regular visits on Wednesday evening we got the first opportunity to view the new Malt & Pepper pop-up menu.

Promptly changed our plans and decided dive in and test the waters.

Excellent menu choices - amongst the best we have seen so far. Their menu was varied and had an interesting effect - our mouths began to water immediately and a sufficiently broad selection to pick from too.

Chicken wings and pulled ham hock croquettes arrived and were simply unctious.

Beef burger and blue cheese and fish cake with poached egg followed - simply great food on a plate.

If anything we over ordered on the whole meal as the first round were snacks - not starters - but we all learn.

Met Dan and John - nice guys and very seriously into their food.

There remains a lot of choice we will have to work our way through.

Front of house staff as usual were impeccable.

Positive comments from those eating at the bar always a good sign too.

This one runs until Christmas and we have seen a Christmas offering coming soon.

divya_m
17 Nov '17

Sounds great – might pop by for lunch tomorrow. Where can I find a menu, just want to check if there are enough choices for vegetarians.

anon51837532
17 Nov '17

Link to menu here…

MaltPepperLDN
19 Nov '17

Thank you for the lovely review @anon51837532, we’re super chuffed that you enjoyed your visit and can’t wait for you to work your way through the rest of the menu! We’re going to try and keep it fresh and moving with at least a couple of changes each week, so hopefully they’ll be plenty to keep your interest.

We’re going to have a little play with the top half of the menu and add a couple of starter sized portions and some new dishes, we don’t want you to be full before the main event! We’ll be updating the menu on our website every Monday (https://maltandpepper.co.uk/all-inn-one/) so you know what to expect before heading on down, @divya_m, keep your eyes peeled on this, the vegetarian section is going to be my focus during our time in Forest Hill. There are some experimental dishes in the pipeline.

We’ve had a fantastic first week, so thank you to everybody who came down and dined with us.

See you all soon,

John

Foresthillnick
26 Nov '17

I read this and still order 10 wings between us!
The wings were great. Big, served very hot and still really juicy. My only compliant was that the Hot Sauce wasn’t very hot (spicy) but that is personal preference I guess.

My belly pork was tasty too - veg on the side were done to perfection, the dauphinoise potatoes were lovely but too much for me. My wife had the ribs and they were huge too - had to doggy bag them - but very good although more sauce would have been welcome.

All in all great winter food but be hungry or go easy on the starters/snacks or you might struggle to get through the mains!

anon51837532
26 Nov '17

Snap. I suspect we were in AIO at the same time - were you the family in the window seat perhaps.

We ramped down our selection to five wings - superb.

But they got revenge on us by serving the largest and most tender of belly of pork. Doggie bag for us too.

Would go back just for the dauphinois and Linda thought her ribs were the best she has had in sometime.

Foresthillnick
27 Nov '17

Just the two of us there - my wife and I - so probably not us. We were tucked away in the corner…
10 wings between two of us was way too much - 5 is much more sensible.

MaltPepperLDN
27 Nov '17

Happy Monday SE23,

“Revenge is a dish best served tender” as the famous saying goes, @anon51837532

@Foresthillnick, 10 wings as a starter was extremely ambitious of you, hats off to you for giving it a go though.

Glad you’re enjoying the food! Portion size is top of the agenda for this week, we just don’t want you to leave hungry! There’s some new dishes making an appearance later in the week, keep an eye on the twitter for a sneaky peak (www.twitter.com/MaltPepperLDN).

Have a great week,

John

Foresthillnick
27 Nov '17

I almost ordered 20!

divya_m
2 Dec '17

Went in today, tried the cannelloni, veg pie and crumble - was delicious and portion sizes were good. And service was impeccable as always.

anon51837532
2 Dec '17

Interesting change in the team make-up in the kitchen.

Tonight we had Camilla and Kim in charge.

Quality of food was at its now accustomed high standard.

Wings (strictly five) and burger with blue cheese were excellent btw Linda says the onion rings were heavenly pillows of delight.

Very subtle variation in the fish cake with poached egg and hollandaise sauce - fish cake was a gentler softer presentation - equally superb.

Great to see the team’s qualities in depth - very enjoyable evening.

Thank you to all at @AllInnOne

HOPcrossbun
3 Dec '17

I don’t normally leave reviews about places (often because I think a lot of local places mentioned on here are tired and a bit overrated) but we absolutely loved the food at the current pop up Malt + Pepper. Simple British pub food done to a very high standard - full of flavour and could tell was using only high quality ingredients. So much so have gone twice in last week!

MaltPepperLDN
5 Dec '17

Thank you all for your lovely comments!

We’re super lucky to have a very talented team who are happy to wildly experiment with beers and flavours, and we’re all chuffed to bits that you’re enjoying the food.

We’re trying something new this week, with smaller plates aimed around sharing, as always a copy of the menu is available here > https://maltandpepper.co.uk/all-inn-one/.

Let us know what you think,

John :v:t3:

MaltPepperLDN
22 Dec '17

Hello SE23,

Just a quick note to say “Merry Christmas” from Dan, Camilla and I! We’re coming to the end of our stay here @AllInnOne, and we’ve had an absolute blast! The feedback has been overwhelmingly positive and incredibly forthcoming, so thank you!

We’re serving food until 9.30pm today and tomorrow, before taking a few days off with our families, we’ll be back on 28th & 29th December from 5pm until 9.30pm. Saturday, 30th is our last day here (:sob::sob::sob:) and we’ll be open from midday through until 9.30pm.

Have a fabulous Christmas, and hopefully we’ll see you on the flip side!

Cheers,

John, Dan and Camilla x
www.maltandpepper.london

Foresthillnick
4 Oct '19

Pop ups are back!

Chris_Hesketh_Hesky
4 Oct '19

I tried the food tonight and boy was it good. What a great idea. I love getting literally “street food” and eating it in the pub. Such a great idea. I’ll be coming back for the next 3 Fridays whilst they are here as its soooooo good

tonyf
7 Oct '19

Perhaps the naysayers will pop in and support a community asset.Doubt it though

Foresthillnick
7 Oct '19

It was actually quite busy in there on Friday - nice to see.
I’m not sure who you are referring to by naysayers - oddly a lot of people supporting the sale were\are regulars who wanted to see Julia and Richard happy. A lot of the people who opposed the sale\hotel never set foot in the place.
I hope all of us go and spend a local pound or ten in the place so we can help to keep it going.
The pop up is there for the next two weeks…

Londondrz
7 Oct '19

I agree, the pop ups were great and Julia/Richard are great host and the accommodation was superb. I still wished them well with the sale as they have worked bloody hard.

tonyf
8 Oct '19

Hi Nick, yes it was good to see the pub busy, I am off course referring to the opposers, those you have never set foot in the place, yet felt that the development would mean the loss of a public house. My actual point is that to prevent the loss of local pubs people actually have to use them, whether or not they are listed as " community assets" or not. All businesses have to have make a satisfactory return on the investments in both time and money made by the owners, otherwise they will close.