Archived on 6/5/2022

Kitchen Wall tiles disposal

Emak5
21 May '19

Hello all, I’ve read about many of you having difficultly navigating Lewisham’s ridiculous restrictive policy of not receiving “DIY Household Waste”. I have 5 bags of kitchen tiles, each about 10kgs I need rid of, they’re not fit for giving away and there’s not enough to hire a skip or even a hippo bag.

I’ve read people have had luck at the Bromley centres, did you not have to prove you’re a resident of the borough?

Nivag
21 May '19

Seems stupid they don’t allow DIY waste, it’ll just mean more people will flytip.
Shame Lewisham residents can’t use Southwark’s facility, which is just around the corner. They are setup well for all types of waste.

Can you not put a few at a time in your black bin over a few weeks.

pattrembath
21 May '19

You might check out Bromley’s Churchfield Rd depot. For £3 they will accept small car loads from outside the borough

Anotherjohn
21 May '19

Unfortunately, they also run a no-DIY waste policy but you might get through depending on who’s checking what’s in your car (one or two of the staff are pretty anal).

Andy
21 May '19

Agree with this 100%. It’s so short sighted how the Council deals with waste. So many people must use their household waste for garden waste or DIY waste (double bagged and in the middle of the bin so it’s not obvious).

I believe recycling rates are based on either weighing rubbish or volume of trucks, so it’s no wonder Lewisham rates are 13 per cent lower than the London average.

PV
22 May '19

Where about are you? We have a skip at the moment that I don’t expect to fill if you can walk them by!