Archived on 6/5/2022

Last day to register to vote in May 5 elections is today

oakr
14 Apr '22

From the council’s weekly email:

Vote in the May local elections – last day to register!

On Thursday 5 May 2022 you can vote to decide the Mayor of Lewisham and councillors to represent your ward. All people on the electoral register are eligible to vote in the local elections, except for British citizens living overseas.

A referendum on the Crofton Park and Honor Oak Park Neighbourhood Plan will also take place on 5 May. All people registered to vote in the Crofton Park neighbourhood forum area will be able to vote in this. Find more information on our website.

Today is the last day you can register to vote. If you have recently moved to Lewisham, have moved since you last registered to vote or haven’t registered to vote before, you must register before the deadline which is 11:59pm tonight (Thursday 14 April).

For more information please visit the Council’s website.

As far as I can tell there are, other than one independent councillor, only essentially labour representatives, no green, lib dem or conservative etc. Enjoy democracy!

List here:
https://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/mgMemberIndex.aspx?FN=PARTY&VW=LIST&PIC=0

ForestHull
14 Apr '22

I think you’ve got the list of current councillors. You need to look here to find those you can vote for: https://lewisham.gov.uk/-/media/elections/elections-22-local--statement-of-persons-nominated-and-notice-of-poll.ashx

oakr
14 Apr '22

Absolutely, was just highlighting the current status quo. I’ve always wondered why the green part, despite all the enthusiastic support for green / anti-pollution type measures seems to get nowhere in Lewisham.

Here is the Crofton Park list of candidates for thos in HOP:

ForestHull
14 Apr '22

I wonder why other parties make the tactical error of putting up multiple candidates and dilute their votes and so don’t really complete.

In 2018, if all the Lib Dem votes could have been consolidated under a single LD candidate in Forest Hill, they would have beaten everyone else and got a Councillor with 2697 votes:

oakr
14 Apr '22

Good point, but as they say ‘it’s the hope that kills you!’

starman
14 Apr '22

Im not sure that works. You vote for three candidates. Not one. So it is likely a voter who voted Lib Dem voted for all 3 LD candidates. If there was only 1 LD candidate, they’d still only poll around 900.

Right?

ForestHull
15 Apr '22

I don’t believe it is invalid to vote for less, but yes, my simple sum overestimates what a result could look like as people who voted for 2 or 3 LD Councillors in 2018 would only be able to cast one LD vote if a single candidate has been provided, making a smaller overall total.

It does show the unfairness of the voting system though. A different way to look at it is that about 48% of all votes cast in Forest Hill 2018 were _not _ for Labour and yet we have only Labour councillors. The voting system sucks.

Absolutely this!