Archived on 6/5/2022

Leaf and Groove [Closing]

leafandgroove
22 Feb '17

Hi SE23. We are Leaf & Groove, we hope to be bringing books & vinyl to 57 Dartmouth Road to bring sustainable support for Forest Hill Library.

Please help us by pledging to our Space Hive crowdfunder.

https://www.spacehive.com/leafandgroove

Pauline
22 Feb '17

If everyone could just pledge a couple of quid (£1-£5) to this it would show massive community support for this project to support & give extra funds to our library!

Told ya something special was coming to D Rd soon & you can all help us do this :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

What’s not to love about books & vinyl! :books: & vinyl :heart:

@Simon @Michael @JohnRussell @V22Collection

Pauline
22 Feb '17

Thanks so much @anon5422159 for your very generous pledge & to Claire Dow too, who’s one of my customers & follower on twitter after sharing this tonight.

Seriously everyone that just pledges a couple of pounds can help a lot with this, we all seem to be pledging ourselves on this one too.

pledging £2 really helps with this venture :slight_smile:

DickWynne
23 Feb '17

Haha you kept this quiet! I might still have some vinyl prog rock in the attic…

Nav_Kiani
23 Feb '17

Hey guys sounds great and really looking forward to seeing you here - I wanted to ask if you need some vinyl donations? I have some that could be interesting - various genres - please let me know as I live in Forest Hill and could pop them over,

Simon
23 Feb '17

For the sake of clarification and to reassure any of those who are concerned that the library service might suffer if this project does not work, please note:

Leaf and Groove is independent from the library. I am setting it up with Charlotte, who many of you may already know from @WatersSE23 and @FHGinClub and we are doing so at our own risk. I will be signing the lease on the building and ensuring the work is carried out and the shop opens. All profits from the sales of donated books and vinyl will then go to the library. There is no support required from the library and should the whole project fail now or down the line then it will have no impact on the library whatsoever.

Support for the library has been amazing, we are inundated with volunteers and donations, but we can not keep going back to the generous people of SE23 every year cap-in-hand, we need a sustainable income to keep the library open and add to the wealth of services we provide. Give a man a fish etc

Leaf and Groove will not look like a charity shop, it will be a supercool* book and record shop with all sorts of other great stuff going on. The Space Hive platform is not like other crowdfunding platforms, we are hoping to raise funds through it by getting grants from some of the bodies who use Space Hive to fund community projects. So please do donate (and thanks to those who already have) but if you can’t do that, then feel free to like and share the page as widely as possible, as the funding bodies will look at the level of community support when making their decisions.

*the fact I am using ‘supercool’ as a superlative should not be taken as an indication of how supercool it will be, and, also, coolness is subjective.

Simon
23 Feb '17

Yes please, very much so! They can be taken to the library or dropped at The Archie Parker if easier. Many thanks.

starman
23 Feb '17

So happy to support this.

Vinyl is a bit narrow in terms of offering. Will you sell CDs as well? I have so many to donate somewhere.

Simon
23 Feb '17

Yes, I have no doubt CDs will make an appearance, probably some DVDs too, but the main focus is always likely to be the books. Thanks

Londondrz
23 Feb '17

Brilliant venture, good luck to you all.

RachaelDunlop
23 Feb '17

Have you missed the memo? Vinyl is supercool (or uber-cool if we want to be really cool about it). Vinyl sales are way up. By contrast, the resale market for CDs is virtually nil.

Best of luck with this venture, guys. I may have some vinyl to donate. 80s stuff mainly. We have duplicates from when me and OH merged our collection.

Foresthillnick
23 Feb '17

Blimey - Amazing that you (and others) find the time and energy to do all these things.

Londondrz
23 Feb '17

Let me know when you drop them off so I can snaffle them up with the proceeds to a good cause. Sadly all my vinyl has gone in the many many moves I have made over the years. I miss my 80’s collection, and eyeliner. :relaxed:

starman
23 Feb '17

I watched the Brits last night shouting: Who? Who? at the screen. So yep. Probably missed the memo. At the least didn’t see it posted at the cafe.

Guyliner.

anon5422159
23 Feb '17

16 posts were split to a new topic: The Dazzling 1980s

TomAngel
23 Feb '17

HI there - I’ve donated some money for it. I love the idea.

I’m a local writer - who’s debut novel The Life Assistance Agency has been chosen as part of WHSmith’s 2017 Fresh Talent - so I’m always happy to find local shop aiming at that well-read market.

The very best of luck. And I have a few books I’ll put aside to donate.

Tom Hocknell

My Idle Blogs of an Idle Fellow is here - https://tomhocknell.wordpress.com

wineisallforme
23 Feb '17

I’m loving the sound of this. I’ve only just joined the forum, and recently moved into Forest Hill from Derby. I’d be up for volunteering some time if I’m ever free and you need something doing.

If I’d only known about this a few months back, I would have had a ton of books to donate post move! I may still have some to hand over, although I’ve already downsized the collection quite extensively

Cara
23 Feb '17

Shared! Great idea.

anon5422159
23 Feb '17

Welcome to Forest Hill, and to SE23.life, @wineisallforme :thumbsup:

Regarding volunteering:

Pauline
23 Feb '17

Massive thanks to everyone that’s backed this, it’s now gone past the 12k mark :+1::+1::+1:

AndyS
23 Feb '17

Pauline’s in danger of exploding again. Stand back, everyone. Maintain a safe distance.

RachaelDunlop
23 Feb '17

Just had a look at the fundraising page and am rather intrigued by the donation of £5K from ‘The People of Forest Hill’.

Simon
23 Feb '17

Yes, odd. When you fill these things out you don’t quite know how they will appear on the page - there was an explanation to go with, but it didn’t materialise. Essentially though, I estimate the library has been donated around £5k worth of books, effectively we could open a shop tomorrow and have more than enough books to stock it. It should say that rather than looking like a cash payment. Ho hum.

Pauline
23 Feb '17

Rachael it’s the value of the books & records that have already been donated from peeps in FH including @HornimanMuseum :slight_smile:

Simon
23 Feb '17

Actually it isn’t. Those have yet to be added. Update to follow at the weekend when finalised.

Pauline
23 Feb '17

Even better then :ok_hand::ok_hand:

anon5422159
23 Feb '17

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Dazzling 1980s or “As you were”

RachaelDunlop
23 Feb '17

Thanks for the explanation, I didn’t think it would turn out to be something shady, but it certainly looks odd!

starman
23 Feb '17

I got that Spacehive included in kind contributions. But that does hugely skew the amount raised towards in kind contributions. In kind is often the easiest to get. So how much cash do you need to make this work? Happy to push this out of course onto other social media.

Simon
23 Feb '17

The balance you see is what needs to be generated in cash (currently almost £8k) We hope that support will come from one of the funding bodies, possibly two, but unless the cash is fully funded then the whole project is dead in the water.

We know we have the books, the people to help decorate, some furniture, some vinyl and people to contribute content when we’re up and running, what we need now is the cash to turn a long disused building into something viable. As you can see from the images, there is much to be done to the structure, even before we’ve fitted book cases, signage etc.

TomAngel
23 Feb '17

and for a moment there I thought you were super cool :wink:

Simon
23 Feb '17

I was briefly vaguely-cool around 1993, but only for a couple of weeks. Of course these days I’m neither cool nor hot, I am super-tepid.

leafandgroove
23 Feb '17

Thank you to everyone who has already donated.

Sorry I haven’t been around to respond, I’ve been up to my elbows in squid for @FowlMouths.

Really appreciate all the support, retweets, shares offers of books and pledges.

I shan’t be sharing any dodgy 80’s pics. I was 1.

TomAngel
23 Feb '17

I think I was cool for a similar length of time at the sam time. We must have coincided.

starman
23 Feb '17

Youre still too cool for skool Tom.

Pauline
23 Feb '17

I think @TomAngel kids are much cooler than him, sorry Tom!

I love the amazing dinosaurs facts Herbie tells me about, & Barnaby is just too cute :+1:

PaulL
23 Feb '17

Hi there, what a great idea. I have some AV equipment, speakers, cables etc that you may be able to use. How do I get in contact with you? R

anon5422159
23 Feb '17

Hi Paul, that’s a kind offer. I have enabled private messaging for you, so click on @leafandgroove, then click “Message”

PaulL
23 Feb '17

Thanks

fabiodebe
24 Feb '17

I’ve just donated and I’ve shared on Twitter… hopefully all the funding will come through! Good luck guys.

leafandgroove
25 Feb '17

Shameless bump

Help us secure funding we need to create a sustainable income for Forest Hill Library & a new hub for the community.

https://www.spacehive.com/leafandgroove

Londondrz
25 Feb '17

Two minds of this as it is sort of a charity to keep the library running. Exemption for charity possibly?

leafandgroove
25 Feb '17

Sorry, I’m guessing that wasn’t allowed?

Londondrz
25 Feb '17

Hi L&G, ordinarily not. However I think we, the mods, need to have a chat as your offering is a community benefit. I will put it to the mods. John

Simon
25 Feb '17

I’ve reprimanded her, we’ll have no more of that. (this is totally untrue, she never listens to a thing I say, but she does at least now understand the thread etiquette)

anon5422159
25 Feb '17

Ah, no harm done here but as John noted we do generally discourage people bumping their own topics. L&G has good karma though, from my point of view.

Pauline
25 Feb '17

If anyone’s on twitter please follow @leafandgroove and help spread the word by retweeting :+1::+1:

Pauline
25 Feb '17

This has gone a bit quiet today!

So spread the word, tell your friends & let’s hit that target!

Remember this is helping our library!

Every pound donated counts, so please all donate one or two quid to make a difference!

Pauline

anon5422159
25 Feb '17

Weekends are always a quiet time for the forum in general - don’t be disheartened :thumbsup:

:cop: Request to all: Please avoid bumping unless your post adds some value to readers of the topic (with more information about the project, the people behind it etc).

If we maintain a high signal-to-noise ratio on the forum, we’ll keep our large local audience engaged, which will benefit future good causes like Leaf and Groove.

Pauline
25 Feb '17

YAY, I think a website will be available tomorrow’ :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

leafandgroove
26 Feb '17

We’ve got a little update.

RachaelDunlop
26 Feb '17

That’s fab news! Big thanks to @HornimanMuseum for all they do to support FH.

Londondrz
26 Feb '17

Wow, that is very good news. Fantastic community spirit.

leafandgroove
26 Feb '17

Our website is now live.

Test your music knowledge with our near impossible quiz.

Please do let us know if there is anything glaringly wrong with it (the google map we know about and has made me want to throw the laptop at the wall so please don’t mention it).

www.leafandgroove.com

Pauline
26 Feb '17

, funny :joy::joy::rofl::rofl::rofl: laptop, wall, now for the quiz…

Pauline
26 Feb '17

Well I was pretty crap at that quiz, hope others do better :joy::joy:

Pauline
26 Feb '17

It’s moving again, thanks @RachaelDunlop for
Pledging​:ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:

Pauline
27 Feb '17

A milestone hit!

50 backers :tada::tada::tada:

DickWynne
27 Feb '17

Did I read correctly that blues harmonica nights may be planned? I’ll have to dust off my armoury of them, it’s been 15 years or so since I was last accused of strangling a cat…

leafandgroove
27 Feb '17

Yes very much so. We’ll have the RSPCA on standby.

Pauline
2 Mar '17

13k hit today :tada::tada::tada:

Please keep pledging if you can & sharing, every £1 helps loads with this!

anon5422159
4 Mar '17

Nice write-up on @leafandgroove by local author and blogger @JimB :

Help make this cracking project a reality, either by sharing information and/or by donating:

Pauline
4 Mar '17

Thanks guys for spreading the @leafandgroove word :heart:

JimB
4 Mar '17

Many thanks Chris. I hope my post will play at least a small part in persuading people to pledge money to make this exciting project happen.

Kind regards
Jim
Former Chair of the Circle of Wine Writers
Ex-editor of Circle Update, newsletter of the Circle of Wine Writers (1991-2015 for 122 issues) : http://www.circleofwinewriters.org
www.investdrinks.org: dubious wine investment schemes
Also: investdrinks-blog – http://investdrinks-blog.blogspot.com/

Jim’s Loire: http://jimsloire.blogspot.com/
The Loire: the vineyards, the producers and their wines.

Les 5 du Vin: http://les5duvin.wordpress.com

Twitter: @jymbudd

#winelover

fourstar
4 Mar '17

Have chipped in on Spacehive - books and vinyl very important in my life! Good luck…

Pauline
4 Mar '17

Thank you so much, I noticed your very generous pledge :+1:

Pauline
5 Mar '17

Fundraiser date for your diary @TheArchieParker for @leafandgroove

This coming Saturday evening 11th March.

Exact info will be posted soon probably by @leafandgroove @TheArchieParker or @Simon or possibly myself as they’re probably mega busy organising this last minute :slight_smile:

Tickets will be £15 and will include an alcoholic beverage & unlimited chilli (vege option will be available too), board games and more!

So please save the date if you don’t have plans already :+1::+1:

Pauline
5 Mar '17

I’m working for free on the night, so could be cleaning your table, serving your food, telling you bad jokes, doing the washing up, checking out some vinyl to be played, or anything else I’m told to do!

If nothing else you will get a right laugh at me being told what work to do, and I shall do it - but I’m thinking I might give Manuel from Faulty Towers a run for his money - Geez what have I let myself in for :joy::joy:

Pauline
6 Mar '17

Article will be in South London Press this Friday :+1::+1::+1:

ETA

leafandgroove
6 Mar '17

Tickets to @TheArchieParker’s fundraising event are here.

http://www.thearchieparker.com/2017/03/06/leaf-and-groove-fundraiser/

Matthew_Benney
7 Mar '17

Do you need some branding created for this project? I do a bit of hand lettering and would happily donate some time to create a logo.

Londondrz
7 Mar '17

What a brilliant offer!

leafandgroove
7 Mar '17

Yes please! If you email us on contact@leafandgroove.com that’d be great!

Anotherjohn
7 Mar '17

What a lovely gesture!

Scorpion
7 Mar '17

Hi DickWynne,
If you DO still have some Progressive Rock vinyl there, I would LOVE to see it first as it is one of my favourite.genres!
Regards
Sue

Scorpion
7 Mar '17

Hi all,
Sounds like a wonderful night! I love old school games such as Scrabble and Monopoly & more modern kinds such as Trivial Pursuit so hope that this might become a venue for such events, in the future. I would like to attend such an evening as a guest but, in this instance, as someone with past history in catering I am happy to offer my services on the day/night, as Kitchen Porter/Food Prep, Waitress or general “Do Person”. Feel free to contact me via email scorpy_sue@yahoo.co.uk or on Mobile (evenings after 6pm) 07806 854513
:slight_smile:
Regards
Sue

DickWynne
7 Mar '17

I’ll have a look but there wasn’t much, first albums by The Nice and King
Crimson I recall, and much later (forgive me!) Sky – but my attic is not
easily searched!

leafandgroove
8 Mar '17

Hi, Thank you for the kind offer but we’re all set for servers. Hope to see you there as a guest. :slight_smile:

Pauline
8 Mar '17

It’s past the 14k mark :tada::tada::tada::tada:

Thank you Mike Wood whoever you are for pledging £500 this morning :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Pauline
8 Mar '17

The Best of Lewisham has now pledged £250 :tada::tada::tada:

They popped by mine yesterday to give me a sticker for my window & to get a pic for their website (less said about the pic the better :joy:) they love the community spirit in FH & I hope I didn’t talk the ears off them too much :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s creeping towards the 15k mark quite quickly today :ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:

ETA

Pauline
8 Mar '17

@faultythinking if you were the one that pledged this morning thank you so so much :+1:

faultythinking
8 Mar '17

Sorry, it wasn’t me today…

Londondrz
8 Mar '17

:blush: I may have popped a couple of quid in the box, so to speak.

Pauline
10 Mar '17

100 backers hit :tada::tada::tada::tada::tada:

Pauline
10 Mar '17

Thanks @brencud & @Satchers for pledging xx

I was pledging the 6 quid to take it to 15k while you were probably both pledging!

thanks both 16k here we come :clap::clap::clap:

Pauline
14 Mar '17

Article in South London Press today :clap::clap::clap:

Please keep pledging Forest Hill, only 13 days left!

anon5422159
14 Mar '17

Amazing! Well done @Pauline, @Simon, @leafandgroove and co!

leafandgroove
15 Mar '17

@Matthew_Benney has very kindly donated his time and talent to create some logo designs for us. We’ve whittled it down to 2 choices and now we want to hand it over to you. This poll is also running on Twitter but we thought we’d better add it here too. [poll type=multiple min=1 max=2]

• Logo 1
  • Logo 2
    [/poll]

anon5422159
15 Mar '17

Those are both brilliant - good work @Matthew_Benney :thumbsup: I admire people that can hand-draw text as beautifully as this.

I marginally prefer the second design as logos that fit in squares are more social-media friendly

Matthew_Benney
15 Mar '17

Just to caveat these are still quite rough and the winner will have a lot more love :slight_smile:

Pauline
16 Mar '17

Just picked up an email that says the article is also in “The Mercury” this week too :+1::+1:

hillwalker
17 Mar '17

What happens if you don’t meet the funding target? Are there other avenues to proceed with?

Simon
17 Mar '17

Sadly if we don’t hit the full funding then that’s the end of Leaf & Groove. We’ll have to sell the books we have had so far (not sure exactly how yet, that will be a management board decision) and so the donations we’ve had will not be wasted, but we’re still hopeful, a couple of fairly hefty donations in the pipeline… or at least we’ve got our fingers crossed!

Londondrz
17 Mar '17

Any way of doing a money to target countdown so people have an idea of how much is needed, very much like Pauline did for the Library?

anon5422159
17 Mar '17

We’ll pin a topic on SE23.life for the last 48 hours of the fundraiser.

Hopefully, just like the library crowdfunder, there will be a last minute rush of donations as people see the goal approaching.

Reminder to all - this is the crowdfunder page:

Londondrz
17 Mar '17

Thanks @anon5422159

Simon
17 Mar '17

A countdown of sorts has begun on twitter and I think we’ll be pushing that. As Chris points out, when I did the one for the library it pretty much all came in at the end. It was a flying start then a rush at the end that pushed us up and away.

I’ve certainly got no doubt Pauline will be reminding everyone as it counts down!

Simon
17 Mar '17

oh and I promise, after this one is successfully in place, no more crowdfunders for anything in Forest Hill from me!

Pauline
17 Mar '17

I sure damn will be :100:

hillwalker
17 Mar '17

I’ve already donated but I’ll spread the word. Fingers crossed!

anon5422159
17 Mar '17

:thumbsup: Anonymous person!

Also :thumbsup: @TheArchieParker who donated £200 a couple of days ago!

hillwalker
17 Mar '17

Can’t take credit for that one!

Pauline
17 Mar '17

Quite a few flyers went from my shop today & I’ll do more when I open the library tomorrow morning :+1::+1::+1:

@Simon the Library Management Board made a decision that we want donated books that can’t be added to the stock to go to @leafandgroove SO…

Everyone please donate if you can & please spread the word!

10 DAYS TO GO!
16k hit :tada::tada::tada:

Come on Forest Hill we can do this :books::books::books:

AndyS
17 Mar '17

Have you tried tapping major local businesses that sometimes make donations to local charities as part of their CSR (corporate social responsibility) programme? I’m thinking Sainsbury’s at the moment…

leafandgroove
18 Mar '17

That’s the plan for the coming week. Although @Pauline hounded the big businesses for the library crowdfunder I don’t think she has much luck. So not holding out much hope.

Pauline
18 Mar '17

Had a very interesting conversation today!

Yesterday one of my customers who brings her grandkids in on Fridays took a flyer & said she would pledge last night - Her husband came in earlier today (specifically to ask about the crowdfunder) to say he checked out the crowdfunder last night & was asking how the big backers worked on Spacehive & would they definitely pledge etc…

#FingersCrossed :+1:

Pauline
18 Mar '17

Just added a new piece of furniture to D Rd for the countdown :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Pauline
18 Mar '17

SO, as a countdown was mentioned I’ll start it now :books::heart:

9 days to go
£16,547 hit :tada::tada::tada:
£19,826 needed :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:
Just £3,279 to go!

Come on Forest Hill, let’s do this as we won’t get a chance to do this again - spread the word far and wide & please pledge what you can!

Pauline
18 Mar '17

I did,& yup no luck with the big businesses- but Superdrug is coming new to the area so well worth a try I think.

I’ve been a bit cheeky…

leafandgroove
19 Mar '17

We’ve had another massive £500 donation! Just over £2,500 to go now!

Pauline
19 Mar '17

£660 pledged so far today :tada::tada::tada:
143 backers
Just £2591 left to hit the target :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

And a few authors have retweeted today, so hopefully 150 backers can be hit by the end of the day!

COME ON FH PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD & PLEDGE IF YOU CAN!

Pauline
19 Mar '17

147 backers now :tada::tada::tada:

150 by midnight please :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

Pauline
20 Mar '17

151 Backers!

£17,487 pledged :tada::tada::tada:

£2330 to go :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

LETS DO THIS FOREST HILL, ONLY 7 days to go!

COME ON!

ETA https://www.spacehive.com/leafandgroove

Pauline
20 Mar '17

You just pledged Sue @Scorpion thank you xx

Yoms
21 Mar '17

Hi there, what’s the best way of connecting with you guys? Best Y

leafandgroove
21 Mar '17

Sorry for the late reply. Glad you’ve now managed to get in touch with us with your very generous off for our music collection. Someone will call you later. :blush:

starman
21 Mar '17

Just got an email that this project is now 90% committed. GO LEAF AND GROOVE!

leafandgroove
21 Mar '17

91% now! It’s been another amazing day. Nearly there.

Pauline
21 Mar '17

Woohoo it’s gone past 18k :tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada:

£18,005
Just £1793 to hit the target :+1::+1::+1:

Keep pledging & spreading the word please :hugs::hugs:

starman
21 Mar '17

Just bumped it back up on my FB feed.

Londondrz
21 Mar '17

Ditto!

RachaelDunlop
21 Mar '17

Ditto ditto.

Pauline
21 Mar '17

I apologise now to anyone that comes across any of my social media posts regarding this - it will stop when the target is hit :slight_smile:

And like @Simon has said if this is successful we won’t need to bug anyone again for a while with crowdfunder’s - I’m not ever saying never on this but definitely not in a long while.

Pauline
21 Mar '17

:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers: crossed for a great pledging day tomorrow!

Good night fellow Forest Hill peeps :ok_hand:

AndyS
22 Mar '17

Less than £1,500 to go.

Could someone get a mop, a bucket and some ear defenders for when @Pauline explodes again, please?

starman
22 Mar '17

What? I can’t hear you. I am wearing ear defenders.

Londondrz
22 Mar '17

Did someone say something??

Pauline
22 Mar '17

Woohoo!

180 backers :+1::+1:
5 days to go :+1:
Just £1295 until the target is hit :tada::tada::tada::tada::tada:

Let’s smash that target lovely peeps of Forest Hill, please keep sharing & pledging if you can :hugs::hugs:

Simon
22 Mar '17

I’ve not posted in this thread for a while, but things are coming very close to the end now and it looks very positive and it is heartwarming and amazing that so many people have supported this project by donating time, money, books and social media sharing.

Thank you so much for all your support. We’re not quite there yet, but to get this close without any grants coming through is just incredible.

Londondrz
23 Mar '17

Brilliant news Simon, fingers crossed and ear defenders at the ready for when Pauline explodes :slight_smile:

Anotherjohn
23 Mar '17

Your brilliant concept was what caught peoples imagination because it offers on so many levels.
And then there’s our Atom Ant rinsing everyone dry for the cause - and rightly so!

leafandgroove
23 Mar '17

We are now only £903 away from being funded!!

Pauline
23 Mar '17

WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

190 backers :ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:
AND JUST £903 to hit the target :tada::tada::tada:

Come on everyone, jump on this groovy train :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

@TimLund thank you for pledging today & for your blog :+1:
@Foresthillnick thank you to you & your OH for pledging today :+1:

Please share & pledge if you can & thank you so much to everyone that’s pledged so far :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Go @leafandgroove :books::heart:

ETA

starman
24 Mar '17

Forest Hill Society are engaging their members to get this over the finish line. Just got this in my inbox. Good work @Michael

Pauline
24 Mar '17

Just £73 to hit target :tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada:

Michael
24 Mar '17

Wow. That email seemed to do the trick. £50 to go.

Please clear Dartmouth Road and surrounding streets - a warning has been issued for Exploding Confectioners.

Michael
24 Mar '17

I think we’ve done it.
Well done to everybody who has been part of this.

Standby for an over-the-top message from @Pauline

Londondrz
24 Mar '17

Ear plugs in! Eye protection on!

Go for it Pauline!! :joy:

Foresthillnick
24 Mar '17

I’m In Dulwich and I think I can hear her from here.
Massive congrats and respect to @Simon, @Pauline, @Michael and @leafandgroove for this.

Simon
24 Mar '17

You’ve just got to love the good folk of Forest Hill. I am speechless. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Now, about those records you’ve all got hidden away in the attic…

Foresthillnick
24 Mar '17

OH will go nuts when I start buying records from you instead of giving you my old vinyl! (I know your lurking darling!)

So what happens next? I’m excited and I not even involved!

Pauline
24 Mar '17

Woohoo :tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada:

I :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: YOU FOREST HILL!

AFRO - check SHADES - check LETS GO :hugs::hugs::hugs:

DickWynne
24 Mar '17

Incidentally do you need a (floor-standing but can be wall mounted) variable-width wide-format projector screen and a digital projector? Both new and unused. I am working my way through the attic.

Somewhere up there are a guillotine and a card-folding machine…

Londondrz
24 Mar '17

There she blows!! :volcano:

starman
24 Mar '17

I was secretly hoping for another nail bar.

:smiling_imp:

Anotherjohn
24 Mar '17

Congratulations you guys!

That was an amazing effort and a great achievement - and it’s going to be a fantastic asset for the town.

Well done and thank you!

leafandgroove
24 Mar '17

Thank you so much everyone for all your support and sharing and pledging.

We’ve already had a few people asking about donating now that the Spacehive is over so we’ve set up a donate button on our website should anyone be interested.

starman
24 Mar '17

So looking forward to hearing of your next steps.

TomAngel
28 Mar '17

What skool is this exactly?!

TomAngel
28 Mar '17

I am accruing a pile of vinyl that I no longer play. So i hope it will be of some use.

Pauline
28 Mar '17

Thanks Tom, you’re a star,. Bag of sour raspberry berries on me for you, Herbie, & Barnaby when you drop them off :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Pauline
29 Mar '17

Hahaha!

Guess I owe SLP a big bag of blue bonbons :slight_smile:

Too funny :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

divya_m
12 Apr '17

Could they apply for this funding from the mayor? https://www.london.gov.uk/what-we-do/regeneration/funding-opportunities/crowdfund-london/about#acc-i-47068

Pauline
12 Apr '17

Funding target was hit, @Simon of @leafandgroove has now signed the lease & keys should come any day with all builders etc waiting on standby to go - should be up and running in around 8 weeks :+1:

appletree
13 Apr '17

Where will the shop be? Apologies if this has been mentioned before.

Anotherjohn
13 Apr '17

It’s at 57 Dartmouth Road - right next door to Archie Parker.

appletree
13 Apr '17

Thanks! Will donate some books and no doubt buy many others.

Bruceshire
14 Apr '17

You can drop off any books you have at Forest Hill Library anytime. If you also have any vinyl you wish to donate, you can drop them off at The Archie Parker before the shop opens.

appletree
14 Apr '17

Great, will do.

Pauline
14 Apr '17

Thanks @Bruceshire for your post :slight_smile:

Londondrz
18 Apr '17

Brilliant news!! Sorry, bit late to the party as ever!

Emma22
18 Apr '17

I have a crate of books we need to get rid of this week - can we just bring them to the library?

Pauline
18 Apr '17

You can either drop the books off at the library (which is overflowing now, so preferably not), my shop, or @TheArchieParker :slight_smile:

Thank you :+1:

Scorpion
26 Apr '17

As a library volunteer & as much as I love books/paper, I am/my fingers are, seriously itching/twitching in anticipation at the thought of flicking through the vinyl donations once Leaf & Groove are open! I love many genres of music but will be particularly curious as to what might be on offer in the genres of Progressive and Symphonic Rock & Metal. If you have donated anything within these genres or are thinking about doing so, please let me know! Old, new, British or UK, other European, US or other, send me a message please. If your tastes run near to Pink Floyd, Rush, Yes, Genesis etc but go off way elsewhere, LET ME KNOW! Just SOME of my favourites & what IS wonderful music, within these genres, IMHO (are, Ayreon, Pendragon, Jorn Lande, Savage, Dream Theater, Riverside, For Absent Friends, Threshold, Symphony X and many more) I used to be an online DJ who played Independent Artists (unsigned to major labels) and most were available to Download free and there was/is some fantastic stuff out there. I am interested in Vinyl, CD’s and DVD’s. Just let me know what you have and how much you are looking for. Thank you very much for reading :bow:
Scorpy Sue

leafandgroove
28 Apr '17

Look what we’ve got! :key::old_key::eyes:

[edit] Photo removed because apparently keys can be copied. :roll_eyes:

AndyS
28 Apr '17

I hope that’s a stock photo and not the actual keys that a clever burglar could copy :wink:

leafandgroove
28 Apr '17

If a clever burglar wants to break in and do all the refurb work for us that’d be great!

Pauline
29 Apr '17

And the work has begun as of 8am this morning :hugs::hugs:

TomAngel
3 May '17

I’ve got some books and records - shall I pop them into yours Pauline?

AndyS
3 May '17

Gordon Bennett! You sure you raised enough money??? :flushed:

Pauline
3 May '17

Yep Tom, drop them in anytime :slight_smile:

Pauline
3 May '17

I’m sure @leafandgroove did & the main builder is brilliant :+1::+1:

starman
8 Jun '17

Its been a month. Any fabulous updates?

leafandgroove
9 Jun '17

There is no fabulous update. Things are slowly progressing. We are waiting for word back from Spacehive and we will then send an email update out to all pledgers.

JonF
15 Jun '17

Have a decent amount of decent books and graphic novels to be dropped off somewhere ideally Sat - best place if still collecting?! Cheers, Jonathan

Pauline
15 Jun '17

Can drop them off at me for safe keeping :+1:

starman
28 Aug '17

Any new update? Last one through Spacehive and about the stairwell and damp was June 30.

leafandgroove
28 Aug '17

Actually there has a been a little bit of movement. We hope to have a bit worthwhile news later this week.

leafandgroove
9 Sep '17

We promised worthwhile news and here it is!

Pauline
15 Sep '17

Saw Fred in there, Woohoo it will be done in no time!

He’s the best by far, but attention to detail is his thing, so may take a little longer to get perfection I think - sounding bloody brilliant to me.

Love it & all the best

Simon
26 Oct '17

Just a quick update. The builder’s last day is tomorrow, the electrician has been and tested everything and only needs to do a small amount of cosmetic work, so decorating can start next week, I hope, hope, for the sake of my sanity and my safety (various leaning towers of books currently being dodged in my office), to be open in November and getting some of that Christmas trade through the door!

starman
26 Oct '17

Hi Simon… I’m away for a few weeks and then when I’m back I’ve got to do a clear out of cooking books. I’m a bit of an addict. Would you be interested in these?

Simon
26 Oct '17

Most kind sir, indeed we will gladly take them. Cheers

RachaelDunlop
26 Oct '17

I was just thinking about this - maybe when you’re in and have your stock sorted you could put out a call for things you’d like, or requests for ‘Please no more Dan Brown’.

anon5422159
26 Oct '17

Yes - @leafandgroove - please do use the forum to the max and let me know if I can help with anything. A wiki-topic for book requests would work nicely I’m sure.

Pauline
27 Oct '17

I saw the finished building work today!

Superb!:hugs::hugs:

All books & vinyls shall leave my shop soon.

Lol @Simon yes I have more, stock is looking good mate :wink::wink:

Bruceshire
31 Oct '17

A very kind lady brought four bags of books on the subject of trains into the library this afternoon. These included a carousel for a slide projector. I didn’t have time to check if there were any slides in there too!

RachaelDunlop
28 Nov '17

Are either @leafandgroove or the library accepting donations of books at the moment? I have a box of decent ones I’d like to get out of the house before Christmas.

Foresthillnick
28 Nov '17

Me too - I need to clear my Dad’s house shortly and he has a ton of pop science bocks and other non fiction that will need a home…

Simon
28 Nov '17

I am currently burning candle at all ends trying to get open next week. So if you can hold those thoughts for a week or so then the answer is very much yes please!

RachaelDunlop
28 Nov '17

Cool. I’ll tuck my box of books away somewhere until you’re ready for them. Good luck with the final stages of preparations!

AndyS
28 Nov '17

Anything astronomy-related? I have a stack of such books but am always on the look-out for authors/specific subjects I don’t already have. Happy to make a small donation to an appropriate book-related organisation (eg @leafandgroove, FH Library) to compensate!

Foresthillnick
29 Nov '17

Ill make a note to give you a holler when I get down to the house to have a look…

Michael
4 Dec '17

I got a sneak preview today. Still lots to do but @Simon is a master of achieving small miracles to open libraries in impossible timeframes!

What struck me most was the quality of the stock. After a year of collecting books they have built up an impressive collection. So get in early to get a really great range of books.

Sadly the toll of running a bookshop is already beginning to show on Simon:

leafandgroove
4 Dec '17

Thank you so much for your patience over the last few months. We are very pleased to announce that Leaf and Groove will open for business this Saturday, December 9th, at noon.

We look forward to seeing some of you then!

wineisallforme
4 Dec '17

Where is it exactly? Want to be outside waiting :smiley:

Adz
4 Dec '17

any sneaky hints at the records you got available on opening day?

leafandgroove
4 Dec '17

57 Dartmouth Road

anon5422159
4 Dec '17
wineisallforme
4 Dec '17

Perfect. Rearranging my day to make sure I can get there

wineisallforme
4 Dec '17

Curious, what kind of vinyl are we expecting to see in L&G? Some choice cuts, or Max Bygraves and James Last LP’s?

starman
4 Dec '17

Oi. Nought wrong with Max Bygraves. Superhero of suave.

Adz
4 Dec '17

you can have first dibs on the Bygraves @starman - I’ll happily take any old Dinosaur Jr, Sebadoh, Pavement, XTC, Throwing Muses, Black Flag, Velvet Underground, Buzzcocks, Bad Brains etc etc that’s left lying around after the Gilbert O Sullivan has been purged.

starman
4 Dec '17

Please please please let there be Daniel O’Donnell.

leafandgroove
5 Dec '17
Adz
6 Dec '17

Jim Davidson for you @wineisallforme

Love Rank - I’ll be after that.

wineisallforme
6 Dec '17

I’ll add it to the pile

Michael
6 Dec '17

Perfect gifts for Secret Santa.
What could be better than an album nobody likes, on a format that nobody can play, and a size that is appropriately inconvenient to carry home.

Pauline
7 Dec '17

Shhh don’t tell everyone, but I spotted Breakedance 2 Electric Boogaloo on vinyl in there last night :notes::notes:

anon5422159
8 Dec '17
Adz
9 Dec '17

Good haul of Smiths, Dylan, Nick Cave, JJ Cale vinyl between myself and @wineisallforme - impeccable condition. Still some gems to be had.

Michael
9 Dec '17

Great shelving with all the ‘chick lit’ in one place - including SQL, C++, and physics. Of course men can read ‘chick lit’ too!

starman
9 Dec '17

I popped in for a gander but it was rather busy. Good for them. Not for me. I’ll look forward to perusing the cooking books in the very near future… some of which I’m going to donate myself.

wineisallforme
10 Dec '17

Also grabbed a Siouxsie & The Banshees live double album

Will be going back soon

anon5422159
10 Dec '17

Popped in today to drop off some books (they are accepting donations). @Simon and co. have done an amazing job - fully-stocked shelves after yesterday’s rush, and plenty of great books going for bargain prices. Check it out!

RachaelDunlop
10 Dec '17

I’ll be popping in with a box of books this week and no doubt leaving with more.

Opening hours, for those interested:

Monday 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tuesday 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wednesday Closed
Thursday 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Friday 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Saturday 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sunday 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
DevonishForester
10 Dec '17

I’ve never been in favour of literature segregated on grounds of gender.

leafandgroove
14 Dec '17

When did you want to pick this up?

starman
14 Dec '17

I’ve already got that one.

leafandgroove
18 Jan '18

WHst about this one?

starman
18 Jan '18

You tease.

klairlouise
28 Jan '18

I popped into leaf and groove yesterday for the first time. What a fantastic addition to forest hill. I spent ages in there. It is literally a book lovers paradise!

leafandgroove
28 Jan '18

Thank you! :blush:

Pea
28 Jan '18

I agree. Popped in on the week and the guy working there was lovely, the ambience of the shop was great. If only I didn’t have a whingey little baby I’d have spent all day in there. Well done.

klairlouise
5 Feb '18

If you get any more books by Nicci French in, could you let me know please?

leafandgroove
5 Feb '18

Pop an email over to contact@leafandgroove.com and we will be in touch if anything appears.

klairlouise
5 Feb '18

Thank you

leafandgroove
2 May '18

Some of you may remember Paul Ian Cross, a local children’s author, coming to Leaf and Groove to do a reading and signing of two of his books during our Pocket Money Picks week. Paul also donated a huge stack of new copies of his book to us during our Spacehive campaign.

He is currently running a Kickstarter campaign details of which can be found here

It looks to be a really beautiful book and well worth getting behind.

Twitter
27 Apr '19
Gem
22 Jul '19

Hi! Does anyone know if there is somewhere taking donations for Leaf and Groove while they are on holiday? We are moving away this week and I didn’t realise they would be shut and have quite a few books in need of a new home.

Thank you,

oakr
22 Jul '19

Maybe Forest Hill library - @Pauline @Bruceshire do you know?

leafandgroove
22 Jul '19

Donations can be taken to the library if not too huge. We’ll be back on Monday 29th.

Gem
22 Jul '19

Perfect, thank you!

jonfrewin
25 Mar '22

I’ve just seen the sad news on Facebook that Leaf and Groove is to close on April 2nd, citing rising rents and energy costs meaning that the original purpose of providing funds to the library is no longer tenable.

Fran_487
25 Mar '22

Oh no! This is so so sad. What a gem of a shop.

Nivag
26 Mar '22

Damn that’s a shame

maxrocks
26 Mar '22

so sad…I used to love it when they had the bar open underneath.
Its shops like that that made me love living here and hopefully it wont be yet another empty shop or nail bar/hairdressers/estate agent/charity shop/takeaway.