Archived on 6/5/2022

Lewisham day burning Street Lights

Jon_Robinson
27 Jun '18

So I noticed on Monday at about 11am that the street lights on our street were on, and then realised that they were on around the the whole area (De Frene, Adamsrill, Mayow, Thorpes, Sydenham Road, etc) I can’t recall now where they stopped being on, but assumed it was some kind of lighting test, as they were not on later when I returned.
This morning, leaving the house at 7.30am there are a lot on, so have reported it to Lewisham/Skanska street light reporting page, but I had to specify a single lamp column (and in the notes I added that it was multiple streets).
Can I get replies on here as to how wide this issues is?
and if possible, please can you report your nearest ‘day burner’?

you can do it here:

or here:
https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/transport/roads-and-pavements/Pages/Report-street-lighting-fault.aspx

Many Thanks

Jerry
27 Jun '18

Noticed the same thing on Garthorne Road at around about the same time, Jon…

Will
27 Jun '18

Same here… All streetlights blazing on Allenby Road / top end of perry rise

Sherwood
27 Jun '18

Last time this happened I was told that it was a control centre problem.

japesylarue
27 Jun '18

Ours in Winsford Road SE6 were on all day together with surrounding roads.

Jimsthename
28 Jun '18

Same thing happened last Summer, got sorted but took a week

AndyS
28 Jun '18

Sunderland Road :bulb:

Jon_Robinson
29 Jun '18

a friend of mine who works in highways asset management systems thinks that there is probably an issue which has reset a central control system to default settings. individual lamps don’t have photocell sensors anymore, so they won’t go on/off dependent on light levels, but they are linked in batches of 256 to control centres, each of those linked to a main computer system somewhere. it’s possible that one of those local systems has reset somehow. maybe a local power outage at an odd time of day reset the time settings, and now the lights are going on/off at odd times of day.

This apparently the system that Skanska/Lewisham use

anon5422159
29 Jun '18

Hat tip to @WeAreSE23