Archived on 6/5/2022

Lewisham Foodbank responds to criticism

ForestHull
27 Jun '20

Continuing the discussion from Lewisham Food Bank needs carrier bags and Lewisham Foodbank needs new drivers :

News Shopper has an article in support of the Forest Hill foodbank which was recently (mildly) criticised via Twitter for some of the suggested donations in its shopping lists:

It is heartwarming to see the foodbank’s kind response to criticism, and the outpouring of support too.

For information on donation or volunteering, please see: https://lewisham.foodbank.org.uk/give-help/

starman
27 Jun '20

Thank you for posting

Rosered
28 Jun '20

Everyone needs a treat from time to
time. In my view as well as all the main disadvantages that poverty can bring, I imagine that lesser spoken of one must be the grinding feeling of never ever being able to have anything nice. I’ve done one stint volunteering at a different food bank (pre COVID-19) and they had the same approach as Lewisham. If they were only giving out crisps and chocolate then obviously that would be a health problem, but they aren’t. When I give donations I always give sensible wholesome things and a few treats for exactly this purpose.

clausy
28 Jun '20

I would suggest that anyone who has time to criticise foodbanks has time to volunteer to help pack or distribute food at foodbanks. File under ‘what is wrong with some people’

ForestHull
28 Jun '20

I dug into the tweets before posting the article (and decided not to link to them), and to be honest I think the original critic did volunteer, but at a different foodbank, and probably only had good intentions regarding nutrition. The criticism seemed quite minor, though Twitter being Twitter…

Anyway, a nice response from Lewisham Foodbank all the same :slight_smile:

applespider
28 Jun '20

It is although I’m not sure it will change the mind of those who believe that a food bank should only be handing out absolute necessities because why should those in poverty deserve anything else. :roll_eyes:

People forget that there are families and kids like a mini bag of Haribo or animal shaped crisps - and if you are stuck inside every evening, a bag of popcorn to share on the sofa might just make it feel more like a date night. The majority of stuff I put in a collection box will be sensible food stuff or toiletries but a little bit of something ‘naughty’ can just put a little bit of normality back into people’s lives.