Archived on 6/5/2022

Lewisham Hustings for Mayoral Candidates - on Education

Michael
17 Aug '17

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/parent-engage-lewisham-hustings-for-mayoral-candidates-on-education-tickets-37073552995

The event will be run in the style of Question Time with pre-determined questions (these have been put together by Parent ENGage) for some or all candidates to answer. Questions will be shared with candidates before the event, and audience participation is also welcomed.

Note that candidates from all parties will be invited to take part.

Fri 1 September 2017, 7:30pm

starman
17 Aug '17

Cool. Though isn’t the Labour Candidate be chosen at the end of September?

Michael
30 Aug '17

This event has been cancelled:

Londondrz
31 Aug '17

Don’t worry, they will make a u turn on the decision shortly.

MajaHilton
31 Aug '17

Can I just point out that I don’t know if the Lib Dems have already made their selection for the Mayoral Candidate. Seems that the Tories have. The Labour Party is in the process of selecting our candidate. I would suggest that anyone who is not a Labour Party member will have plenty of opportunity to engage with our Mayoral Candidate when we select them.

Would it be fair to have 5 representatives from the Labour Party if such meeting was to take place?

Michael
31 Aug '17

It was always an odd choice to have a hustings event before all parties had selected candidates and well before the campaigning had begun. But it is even more odd to agree to attend and then to cancel it with less than a week to go at the request of one party.

My sympathies are with the event organisers. I know from experience how hard it is to organise any type of hustings. And I suspect that next year I’ll try to organise one for mayoral candidates (which isn’t something I really look forward to, as it is far more complicated than one would think).