Archived on 6/5/2022

Lewisham Recycling Centre

Luke30
15 Oct '17

Ripped up some laminate and sanded the floorboards. Now just need to dispose of the laminate flooring. Does lewisham accept laminate flooring ? They aren’t picking up the phone - don’t want to drive there to be told no so if anyone has taken anything like that would be appreciated

Thanks

Hollow
16 Oct '17

https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/wasterecycle/Pages/landmann-way.aspx

Reading this, probably won’t accept it because it would be classified as “DIY” waste / construction waste.

Probably have to pay someone to come get it OR find a skip on your street, knock on their door, ask them to use it. Maybe offer some beer or cash :slight_smile:

Dave
17 Oct '17

I genuinely don’t know what the Landmann Way centre is for if you’re not allowed to take DIY waste there.

I’ve considered taking a few things to Bromley - their recycling centre is apparently open to non-residents for a £3 per visit fee. And even if your waste is classified as “trade” type, you can pay (at £23 for 120kgs). This seems like a much more sensible approach.

http://www.bromley.gov.uk/info/531/civic_amenity_and_recycling_sites/81/waldo_road_reuse_and_recycling_centre

dlf75
18 Oct '17

We have taken a carload of ripped up parquet wooden flooring to Landmann Way with no issues. Smashed up wooden pallets etc. They will take pretty much anything we have found. If it’s not recyclable they have a “non-combustible househould waste” skip to put it in. I think it’s stuff like rubble and plasterboard they’re not keen on?
They have a “combustible household waste” skip that would probably take the laminate if it’s not classed as wood.

Woe betide anyone who doesn’t listen to the instructions from the operatives though… saw quite a hairy incident with a man wheelspinning out of there after parking in the wrong place and giving it the “I’m not taking orders from someone in a high vis vest” routine.

Luke30
19 Oct '17

Thanks for your replies. I managed to use a friends skip in the end.

From an ex Southwark resident who used the centre on old Kent road - that takes everything diy it was a bit disappointing. It’s a bit tough when you have just enough to fill a car but not enough to get a full skip.
It just means those without a moral compass just fly tip which isn’t great - there seems lots on my road now.

starman
19 Oct '17

Ex Southwark resident here too from 18 months ago. Love this new area but miss Southwark’s waste and recycling services which seem gold standard compared to Lewisham.

HannahM
19 Oct '17

That’s true!

Can you walk up to the Landsman Way centre or do you need to drive in? I have a few things I can carry but don’t fit in our bin or normal recycling collections.