Archived on 6/5/2022

Lewisham wins £37.7m “from Sadiq Khan” for new homes

anon51837532
24 Oct '18

Is this new news ?

The new homes will form part of the council’s commitment to build 1000 new social homes by 2022.

This is on top of the 500 new council homes Lewisham Council promised by 2018 – with 500 homes either complete, in the planning process or being built.

anon5422159
24 Oct '18

This money actually comes from the central government’s multi-billion-pound cash injection for affordable and social housing:

Predictably, Labour councils and NewsShopper (with its anti-Tory editor Simon Bull) neglect to mention this today.

Khan did, however, mention the Tories’ record-breaking investment back in 2016:

Forethugel
24 Oct '18

Great news, but what I find shocking is the last sentence of the article - 2000 homeless families(!) in Lewisham alone, and that’s only counting those in temporary accommodation! Wow - just wow…

anon5422159
24 Oct '18

I’d be cautious about the definition of “homeless” here - it can be used to describe families in Assured Shorthold Tenancies. Families living in rental property aren’t really homeless IMHO.

Hollow
25 Oct '18

The definition of “homeless” in the UK is absurd. Its anyone who is in temporary accommodation / waiting list. Actual people sleeping on the streets is 10,000 for the whole country.

Anotherjohn
25 Oct '18

Just to define ‘Assured Shorthold Tenancy’ for many people who wouldn’t know -

An AST is the legal standard form of letting agreement for all houses and flats, which, whilst it is for a minimum certain term of 6 months, many of my tenants have been with me for over 10 years (and counting!).

So, as @anon5422159 and others have commented, to define these people as ‘homeless’ is misleading and headline-grabbing nonsense.

Forethugel
25 Oct '18

Thank you. Just to understand this correctly, if this AST is the standard form of letting agreement, does this imply that only 2000 families in Lewisham are renting on that basis? Surely that can’t be correct either so I wonder where the number comes from.

Anotherjohn
25 Oct '18

I’m afraid I don’t know about that particular statistic. My post was more to do with the definition of ‘homeless’ in dialogue between @anon5422159 and Shelter.

HOPcrossbun
25 Oct '18

Agree that it can’t be right that all those who are renters (i.e. on AST) are classified as “homeless”. So people on this forum should stop using this to undermine the fact that there is a huge problem of homelessness in Lewisham.