Archived on 6/5/2022

Lifts at stations

GillB
20 Oct '21

Does anybody know if Surrey Quays overground station has a lift & if so is it in working order?
I’m asking as I’m picking my grandson up from my daughter in the morning from Clapham Junction & was going to come back that way. If not, I’ll go to Denmark Hill.

HannahM
20 Oct '21

No it doesn’t. It isn’t very deep so there are only a few steps to surface level, but I imagine not very easy to navigate with a pram.

GillB
20 Oct '21

Thanks Hannah. I’ll just go that way then to meet her, & come back via Denmark Hill.
My husband didn’t think it had, but thought I would check as it is the first time I’m taking charge of the pram!
The lift at Denmark Hill wasn’t working a few weeks ago., so she asked station staff to help her. I imagine I will be asking a lot of people for help tomorrow getting on & off the trains!

ontheedge
20 Oct '21

Canada Water has a lift, so you could change there

GillB
20 Oct '21

Yes I know, but I don’t think the train from Clapham Junction stops there though. It

Beige
20 Oct '21

I’m pretty sure all the trains from Clapham junction to Surrey quays go on to Canada water.

ChrisR
20 Oct '21

Gill - The London Overground service from Clapham Junction stops at all stations to Dalston Junction so does stop at Canada Water. However depending on the time of travel there may be other options such as taking a train to East Croydon and then changing onto the stopping service to London Bridge. There are lifts for each platform at East Croydon.

There is another issue though that may affect you in that Network Rail have just started several months of lift maintenance at Clapham Junction this week which will mean one lift will be taken out of service for 2 weeks at a time. The first lift taken out of service is the one serving platforms 1 and 2 and it is platform 2 that the London Overground to Canada Water operates from!. However on the website for this work it also says “Step-free access is still available to Platform 1 and 2 for Arriva Rail London trains. Access is via Brighton Yard entrance when Platform 1 and 2 lift is out of service”. As the London Overground service is operated by Arriva Rail then I presume this means there is a route you can use with the pram. I would however recommend you calling TfL on 0343 222 1234 to verify.

GillB
20 Oct '21

Yes I looked that up already about the works being doing & the lift for the platform I will use was out of order on the 18th, so will be ok.

GillB
20 Oct '21

Thanks all for your advice. I’ll check if the train from CJ does in fact go to Canada Water.

GillB
20 Oct '21

The train doesn’t stop at Canada Water, so I’ll get it to Denmark Hill. No doubt the lift I’ll want will be out of order, but I’ll sort that out when I get there.

ChrisR
20 Oct '21

The London Overground service from Clapham Junction to Dalston Junction definitely stops at Canada Water Gill - I double checked it on both TfL and National Rail websites!

GillB
21 Oct '21

Morning Chris, yes my husband said the same thing last night, so that is what I am going to do.
Thank you everyone! :grinning: