Archived on 6/5/2022

Live: Sink hole near Forest Hill affecting Southern Trains to London Bridge

Baboonery
18 Jul '16

Oh boy.

anon5422159
18 Jul '16

do you have any other sources for this? I’ve had a quick look and can’t see anything that substantiates this.

Baboonery
18 Jul '16

Well there’s this…

Which doesn’t mention a sink hole by name…but is serious-sounding.

And this, which is more so.

anon5422159
18 Jul '16

Thanks @Baboonery. I have moved this to the Local Services category and elaborated the title.

Baboonery
18 Jul '16

And we now have it in so many words :grinning:

Satchers
18 Jul '16

I can confirm there are NO trains at the moment between New Cross Gate and Forest Hill and woeful information. This needs to be bumped so people planning their journey home can avoid it!

anon5422159
18 Jul '16

I’ve shared on our social media accounts.

Looks like Mother Nature just took an executive decision on the Southern Rail franchise…

system
18 Jul '16

from CrawleyNews.co.uk:

system
18 Jul '16
anon5422159
18 Jul '16
Londondrz
18 Jul '16

Oh bugger!

Oddbob
18 Jul '16

Are overground trains affected too?

system
18 Jul '16

anon5422159
18 Jul '16

Liz_Hall
18 Jul '16

Not looking forward to tonight’s commute home. Although perhaps it’s a good excuse to pub crawl home from New Cross Gate :+1:

Londondrz
18 Jul '16

Love the twitter comments. For me, on the 521 to Waterloo now then 176 home.

anon5422159
18 Jul '16

Londondrz
18 Jul '16

Also, that’s not a hole, that’s a small divot. No doubt six weeks at a cost of a few million. Maybe the conductors and management can fill it?

LiseOfFH
18 Jul '16

I saw this link on another forum
Warning - sink hole in forest hill. Two tracks closed. Consider your journey home carefully. http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/14626048.More_misery_for_south_London_rail_passengers_after__sinkhole__opens_up_on_line_at_Forest_Hill/

Then heard about the hole being measured at 50ft deep…

Either way not a quick fix and turmoil for all local commuters. :cold_sweat:

AndyS
18 Jul '16

Where actually is this hole?

And is Southern Rail looking into it? Boom boom.

armadillo
18 Jul '16

In all seriousness though - has anyone seen anything about how long the disruption is likely to last. I realise that its probably a little early to give an accurate estimate, but do you think we are looking at hours, days or weeks?

AndyS
18 Jul '16

Found this in Twitterland…

Londondrz
18 Jul '16

As someone now on a 176 to FH, I hope it is soon. It is 42 degrees on the bus.

squashst
18 Jul '16

Southern website says this is likely to affect services all day. Currently no trains running between London Bridge and East Croydon.

Alternative routes are to New Cross (whether by train or Overground) then the 171 or 122. I live in HOP so that works for me, but the 171 is not bad if you are FHill. Other alternatives are train Blackfrairs to Crofton Park or to Lewisham/Ladywell and P4/122. May be a good day to leave work early…

fran
18 Jul '16

Or peckham and the p12 or 63.

Londondrz
18 Jul '16

DLR to Lewisham then 185 or Waterloo and 176.

Chiccaroline
18 Jul '16

Denmark Hill and the 176 or 185 for me tonight. Tomorrow will drive to Peckham Rye and get the train from there.

Michael
18 Jul '16

I’ve been out the country for two days and the place starts to fall apart!

#Brexitbritain

AndyS
18 Jul '16

Better photos on itv.com
http://www.itv.com/news/london/2016-07-18/large-sinkhole-causing-major-disruption-to-rail-services-in-south-london/

FRanAH
18 Jul '16

London Bridge to catford bridge then a bus up to Forest hill. Quicker than bus in this heat.

Phil
18 Jul '16

Wow! Air conditioning wasn’t doing so well at work this morning, so I decided to spend the afternoon working from home. Looks like I dodged a bullet…

Perhaps this is a good excuse for the rest of the week! :grin:

Londondrz
18 Jul '16

Victoria to Denmark Hill then either 176 or 185 to FH.

AndyS
18 Jul '16

Mornington Crescent!

rbmartin
18 Jul '16

Overground to Peckham Rye, then 197 or Denmark Hill, then 176 or 185. There’s also the P12 from Canada Water, Surrey Quays or Peckham Rye to HOP.

It’s also worth noting that the London Bridge to Victoria Southern trains are diverting via Peckham Rye and are calling at East Dulwich (176, 185) and North Dulwich (P4).

Moto_Hodder
18 Jul '16

I had a lovely walk to the station on my way to my 2pm meeting only to arrive to see a nice man directing everyone to the bus.

I rushed home and jumped on my motorcycle and arrived at my meeting just off the Strand only 10 minutes late.

Motorcycle 1-0 Public Transport.

Londondrz
18 Jul '16

The reason I had mine. Still miss it.

Emily
18 Jul '16

This is going to last weeks if not months isn’t it…

rbmartin
18 Jul '16

The plan is for ballast to fill in the sink hole tonight, then tests will be carried out to see if will fill in the hole without sinking. Then they’ll test the track with trains to see if it’s safe to use. If so, the line will re-open, if not, it may be tomorrow or Wednesday.

rbmartin
18 Jul '16

Network Rail engineers hard at work as seen on ITV London Tonight.

Emily
18 Jul '16

Oh wow. I never had imagined there would be a speedy and efficient response to the hole! I thought all of SE23 would just gently be sucked into it over the next few months…

rbmartin
18 Jul '16

News report on ITV News earlier.

rbmartin
18 Jul '16

Hearing from sources elsewhere that there is a water main at the end of the sinkhole. Thames Water are investigating to see if it’s a live or dormant main.

If all goes to plan, work will commence filling the hole at 10pm.

AndyS
18 Jul '16

All’s well that ends well.

squashst
18 Jul '16

The Forest Hill hole is an entry point into an alternative happier world where Southern Trains always run on time (and that’s why there aren’t many Southern Trains in this world) and all cats grin like the Cheshire Cat.

rbmartin
18 Jul '16

And they’re still looking at the hole!

Baboonery
18 Jul '16

We need a webcam

anon5422159
18 Jul '16
faultythinking
18 Jul '16

The latest (just from Southern’s main page, at http://www.southernrailway.com/) is not good:

We are not currently able to estimate when the lines will reopen however
we will continue to keep you updated as and when information is
available.

rbmartin
19 Jul '16

It appears the plan for later this morning is to reopen the southbound lines. However, it appears Southern will only reinstate the two trains per hour service to Caterham, with Victoria services continued to be diverted via Peckham Rye and Tulse Hill.

Northbound services from Caterham will divert from Norwood Junction via Crystal Palace and Peckham Rye to London Bridge.

London Overground won’t be able to reinstate services south of New Cross Gate until the northbound lines reopen which is looking likely to be Wednesday.

rbmartin
19 Jul '16

Scrap that, Network Rail have decided to close the whole line for all of Tuesday.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/143905.aspx

Phil
19 Jul '16

Scrap that then - I’m staying at home! :relaxed:

Probably a good excuse to try Jamii Cafe…

anon5422159
19 Jul '16

Or @No41Coffee at 41 Brockley Rise (they’re able to verify your SE23.life profile if you add a profile photo).

Phil
19 Jul '16

Good tip, thanks! Do you know if they have decent wifi?

anon5422159
19 Jul '16

Ah I’m not sure actually, when I was in there last time I think my laptop joined one of the BT wifi spots. Hopefully No 41 are watching their mentions on the forum and will get back to you here :slight_smile:

comoed
19 Jul '16

My Jammi Cafe is very good if you dont though. Also very reasonably priced.

system
19 Jul '16

Update from Southern:

AndyS
19 Jul '16

Clearly a very complicated business, this hole-filling thing. High-tech shovels and trained, skilled operatives are involved.

Londondrz
19 Jul '16

Not sure why they cant operate a shuttle service between FH and LB given the hole is on the FH downline??

AndyS
19 Jul '16

That’s far too clever an idea.

Baboonery
19 Jul '16

Little matter of powering the trains.

AndyS
19 Jul '16

Good point. I might have to retract my smart-a**e comment above!

jonfrewin
19 Jul '16

I swung past just now. They’ve started filling it in, but it looks like it will be a pretty slow process.

AndyS
19 Jul '16

Collapsed sewer, apparently.

RachaelDunlop
19 Jul '16

That link’s not working, @AndyS.

AndyS
19 Jul '16

Thanks. Think I fixed it. Try again.

Londondrz
19 Jul '16

Having just got the 176 from FH to Waterloo I hope they fix it soon, those busses are boiling.

Watershed
19 Jul '16

They just started using something that may speed things up a bit…

Londondrz
19 Jul '16

Can’t see a firing squad for management and conductor’s so assume it’s gravel.

Jimsthename
19 Jul '16

Dear sinkhole sufferers, please be overjoyed by the news that there are DELAYS through LEWISHAM this evening (Tue 29th).

Forest Hill is a nice walk from West Dulwich / Penge East…

rbmartin
19 Jul '16

TfL are finally providing replacement buses between New Cross Gate and Anerley, along with extra buses on routes 122 and 171.

https://tfl.gov.uk/status-updates/major-works-and-events/forest-hill-track-closure

Londondrz
19 Jul '16

And on other news, Weight Watchers report a 50% drop in trade as people flock to use the new bus saunas.

Pauline
19 Jul '16

And it may be on #LondonLive soon!

Sorry about the late response to the tweet guys, I was logged into @ForestHillArts account & not the shops today!

rbmartin
19 Jul '16

@Pauline It’ll be the first time London Live have viewers!

rbmartin
19 Jul '16

ITV News report.

rbmartin
19 Jul '16

BBC News.

squashst
19 Jul '16

From another forum:
Just walked home, past the station, and am sorry to say it’s not looking too positive for a train service in the morning.

There are three pumping tankers and a load of heavy duty pipes on Dartmouth Road and the workman at the underpass I spoke to had a pretty grim look on his face when he said it wasn’t going to be a quick fix. Several workman were also looking closely at the wall of the underpass and they’re currently building some scaffolding by WH Smith.

Looks like they need to divert the sewer in order to rebuild it…so spare a thought; there’s always a worse job than yours.

Fingers crossed.

Watershed
19 Jul '16

It seems like they may be testing the line…

Baboonery
19 Jul '16

I’m glad I don’t live above Doopo Doopo any more.

Liz_Hall
20 Jul '16

Does anyone know if trains are back running this morning?

AndyS
20 Jul '16

TfL website says ‘Good service’ on the Overground - no sign of any disruptions.

Southern website has no news as such, but the live departure boards online show everything running on time. What??!?

armadillo
20 Jul '16

The Overground Twitter feed says it’s all back up and running, although Southern Twitter reports delays due to an imposed speed restriction along the section of the line (like we’d notice…)

Can definitely hear trains running in the background outside!

Liz_Hall
20 Jul '16

Great. Fingers crossed for a more successful commute for all today!

Jimsthename
20 Jul '16

What sinkhole? Trains are lovely and quiet too!

FYI Devonshire Road closed to traffic at junction with the South Circ

Phil
20 Jul '16

I’m actually very impressed with Network Rail’s response to the problem. Easy commute to London Bridge this morning, trains even seemed a bit more punctual than usual!

faultythinking
20 Jul '16

Likewise!

anon17648011
20 Jul '16

Yep given how vocal people are when things go wrong (and deservedly so, especially in the case of Southern) I think it’s fair to acknowledge how quickly a potentially serious issue was fixed and recognise the staff who worked round the clock to minimise the disruption. For once this was a problem that really was out of their hands…

Jimmythepope
21 Jul '16

There is Japanese knotweed all along the footpath adjacent to the sink hole if the ITV photo is accurate. I told a member of staff at the station about a month ago and he came to look but nothing has been done as far as I can tell.

AndyS
21 Jul '16

Just asking, but did the member of staff share your concern? Did they appreciate why that’s a problem? Perhaps a more ‘official’ means of alerting Network Rail is called for in order that this information quickly gets into the in-tray of someone who appreciates the urgency.

anon5422159
21 Jul '16

They may not have been aware of this:

fran
21 Jul '16

Or this http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/14532257.Woman_taking_legal_action_against_Network_Rail_over_invasive_plant_growing_behind_her_garden/

Jimmythepope
21 Jul '16

I have just been on the phone for about an hour passed from one machine to another with the odd disinterested operator from Lewisham council. Eventually they passed me to the environment team and I spoke to the most unconcerned man ever who said it was nothing to do with them. How could it possibly be?! Then I phoned Network Rail and couldn’t get the right person although someone has emailed me from the freedom of information department with an online complaint/request form for the contact and communities team. Of course! At least there is an email now so there is a “paper” trail of sorts. I also notice it is in the yard of the skip hire place near WHSmiths. Some Japanese Knotweed appeared near the garages round the back of our houses (Hyndewood, Inglemere Rd) earlier this year very near to where people have their skips left. Hmmmmm