Archived on 6/5/2022

Local carpenter recommendations

Mikemac
19 Jun '16

Hi there! Does anyone have any recommendations for good, reliable and reasonable handymen/women or /carpenter’s in FH. Hoping to get a simple fitted wardrobe made.

Thanks!

Londondrz
19 Jun '16

Give Peter at The Dovetail Joint a call. Very nice guy and they are FH based.

Mikemac
19 Jun '16

Thanks @Londondrz - will give him a shout

Matthew_Benney
15 Sep '16

After having been kindly given a new front door by @Squwif (thank you!), I am looking for a recommendation for a carpenter to fit it.

It needs trimming down by a few cm, so will not be the most straightforward door fitting of all time. Therefore I’m thinking it will need a carpenter rather than a builder / handyman.

Any local recommendations appreciated.

Thanks

kaye
15 Sep '16

Hi Matthew,

We recently had Robert at http://www.rkalcoves.com/ build and fit some cupboards for us. He was great, might be worth getting in touch to see if he can help.

tomswanson
15 Sep '16

Hi there! I can recommend the professionals at https://handymanhandy.co.uk/carpentry-services/. They are well equipped and reliable. I needed some help for the kitchen in my house and hired their services. Thumbs up for the guys, they did a great job.

Matthew_Benney
21 Sep '16

Any more for any more :)?

clausy
21 Sep '16

Quick shout out to Ian from Direct Glass in Sydenham. We had an (accidental) broken side window in the kitchen yesterday and after googling SE23 Emergency Glass and getting a bunch of people who looked like they were paying to outrank each other in the search results (and therefore not cheap) I opted to search google maps for a local glazier.

I called Direct Glass close to 5pm yesterday 020 8778 6437 and he was here 1st thing this morning at 8am on the dot as promised. AN hour later and it’s sorted. He even matched the odd fluted glass we had (victorian) after i described it on the phone. Fabulous. I love people who do a decent job. I think an ‘emergency repair’ would have cost 4x as much, so I’m very happy to go local.

AKB
24 Mar '17

Just had some custom made wardrobes, cupboards and bookshelves fitted and we’re so pleased with them that we would like to recommend Kastas (07885 989666) who made them and Arvydas (07840 065671) who painted them.

Any questions, please PM me.

Baboonery
10 Aug '17

Can I just bump this - I need a kitchen base unit either removing or cutting in half so as to squeeze a dishwasher in. No interest on mybuilder and the handymanhandy lot recommended upthread aren’t returning calls or messages.

starman
10 Aug '17

I’ve had the same issue with Checkatrade. Of four kitchen people contacted only one replied to say they were on holiday until the 17th. I want a cabinet for a built-in fridge taken out to allow for a stand alone fridge.

Maybe we should offer a job lot.

Ed
10 Aug '17

I find that Rated People is good for urgent stuff, as generally only tradesmen with time to spare pay to read your ad. The more info you can give in the ad (including photos) the more likely you are to get a call from an interested person.

Baboonery
10 Aug '17

Funnily enough, I posted on Rated People immediately after reading starman’s post, and got a bite within seconds.

starman
25 Sep '17

Could you share who you used again? I posted what i thought was a comprenensive explanation and got nada.

Baboonery
2 Oct '17

Sorry, not logged on for a few days.

It was a chap from Beckenham called Rik Bennett - known as Jack of All Trades on there, I think. Was good.

cmcdonald1
29 Jun '20

Morning,

We recently had out kitchen refitted by Joe Kensington (07813679882) and he did a great job. Three days work and a really professional finish. Joe was very easy to communicate with; he sent a clear quote with a breakdown of costs in advance and we he was respectful of our home. We would definitely recommend him.

Queenie23
29 Jun '20

Does anyone have a recommendation for someone to come and build a bookcase/shelving unit please? thanks

anon5422159
29 Jun '20

Hi @Queenie23, it would be helpful if you could try some of the recommended tradespeople above and let us know if any of the recommendations are out of date or otherwise need updating. Thanks.

clausy
29 Jun '20

Peter just came to give us a quote - he’s local and seems to be good at understanding requirements and being creative with ideas. To @anon5422159’s point he’s still active, so still up to date.

Londondrz
29 Jun '20

Lovely guy, please say Hi from the folks who were at Number1.

jonfrewin
29 Jun '20

Pete made our kitchen a couple of years ago, couldn’t have been more helpful, and we couldn’t be more pleased than we are with the result. You need a fitter to install what he makes, but I think he has people he can recommend if you don’t have someone lined up, as we did.

Queenie23
29 Jun '20

Thanks - will try him.

clausy
3 Sep '20

We ended up using Joe for some large built in custom wardrobes. Absolutely fantastic job. Great quality, no fuss, clean and tidy and included all in design, drawing, build and fitting.

Joe Kensington (07813679882)

Stuartf
1 Dec '20

Hi all, lots of recommendation for Pete here and i’ve already booked in time with him but not for another month as he has a deserved christmas break. Can somebody confirm he is reasonably priced? I just don’t want to wait a month to find out i’ve got a carpenter that I can’t afford.

clausy
1 Dec '20

Both Joe and Pete gave very similar quotes - they were ‘reasonable’ in the sense that it was pretty much what I expected, but custom carpentry is skilled work and they do seem to be well in demand.

Goonergal
7 Dec '20

Booked him in to do the job or booked him in for a quote?

SoutheastHoop
21 Apr '21

We used Joe Kensington after seeing recommendations on here. He was very responsive and managed to fit us in earlier than planned because of a cancellation. He did a very good job in building floating alcove shelving and we would definitely recommend him. He came round prior to the job, chatted about what we wanted and provided a quote. As well as doing a good job, he was very easy to deal with and professional throughout the process.

YorkshireLad
26 Apr '21

Another recommendation for Joe Kensington. He recently replaced our old kitchen worktops. He excellently prepared, precut and installed the new oak tops. Done a thoroughly good job.

Taurus
2 Aug '21

Can anyone recommend a carpenter or handyman to renovate my garden table and benches? They are traditional cast iron with hardwood slats and the slats need replacing. Thanks.

jo
11 Aug '21

@Taurus or anyone else looking for a carpenter, I just used Toby James (tobyheiser@gmail.com/07748642583/https://www.toby-james.co.uk/) who I found on Next Door. I needed someone to repair a wooden floor that was quite problematic so wanted a carpenter rather than a floor fitter. He did a really good job, and did some other bits e.g. boxing in a bit of pipework in bathroom while he was here. Nice guy and decent price I thought. I read other recommendations for his cabinet making, plastering and general handyman work and I would definitely contact him again for any of that.

LBrydge
10 Oct '21

Looking for quote or recommendations for someone to put up four MDF shelves either side of fireplace in alcoves.

Thank you!