Archived on 6/5/2022

Local furniture / cabinet maker recommendations

Bolgerp
20 Jun '16

Hi there… I think this is in the right category… if not, apologies…

I would be interested to hear of any recommendations for a furniture/cabinet maker local to FH. I have a rather large wall I’d like to fill with a unit made to house AV equipment, lots of shelving etc. etc.

As I am hopeless with plans and drawing etc. ideally I’d like the person to help with gathering ideas and design as well.

I haven’t been able to find anything commercially available that fits my bill so I guess I’ll have to go down the bespoke route (or at least explore it… the cost may put me off completely!!).

Anyway, all ideas/suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Londondrz
20 Jun '16

Try Dovetail Joint off Dartmouth Road. The designed and built our kitchen and I know they do cabinet/shelving work.

Bolgerp
20 Jun '16

Cheers @Londondrz

saratateno
20 Jun '16

There’s also the ManCave Creations chap who works on the BBC Great Interiors Challenge programme.

Brett
20 Jun '16

You could try Andrew Hall - he is a cabinet maker and has a workshop in Herne Hill:
http://andrewhallfurniture.co.uk/contact-andrew-hall-furniture.php

anon64893700
20 Jun '16

Here is my recommendation

Pauline
21 Jun '16

Geoff is really good & he also teaches, so if you wanted to learn how to do it yourself you could :+1:

Brett
21 Jun '16

OP asked after a cabinet maker - quite a difference from a carpenter!

anon64893700
21 Jun '16

God forbid the ignorance of people trying to be helpful, albeit incorrectly.

Londondrz
21 Jun '16

Dont you have to be one to be the other?

Pauline
21 Jun '16

Brett he builds cabinets too :slight_smile:

RachaelDunlop
21 Jun '16

If he wants a built-in unit rather than a piece of fine bespoke furniture, a carpenter is what he wants, however he worded it.

I’ve seen lots of recommendations for Freeborn Carpentry and had Lee round to give me a quote for both a new front door and built-in alcove units. I wasn’t able to go ahead with the work, so can’t vouch for that, but he had some great ideas and was very helpful in working out what sort of design would be right for what I wanted. His Facebook page shows a range of his work. https://www.facebook.com/FreebornCarpentry/

Bolgerp
22 Jun '16

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.

Nadia
26 Jun '17

Hi guys, this may not be the best thread to ask, but I’m not sure where… I’m looking for someone to sand and finish my lovely oak (I think?) dressing table that I completely ruined by painting as I was annoyed with all the stains on it. I miss the wood! Any ideas which type of business offer this, is it a carpenter?

appletree
26 Jun '17

Thanks for all these suggestions as I am also looking for a joiner/carpenter.

starman
26 Jun '17

Yhese guys are over on Kirkdale near Dartmouth Rd. They do cabinetry work as well.

AmandaSE23
30 Aug '18

Cannot recommend Kastas enough

He worked 12hrs straight on a sweltering day to build - on his own - 9ft high triple wardrobes to our spec and great quality hinge recs too

kestutistubys@gmail.com