Local garages / mechanic recommendations

recommendations

Hi everyone,

I really hate getting anything done on a car as I don’t feel I can trust any of the dodgy looking businesses. As a biker, I know where to take my motorcycle for good quality work and am knowledgable enough to assess the quality, but for the cars, I have a vague idea, but not really.

I’ve been to Prestige Autos and got a simple job done and they gave me a fair price. I’ve also used Five Star MOT for MOTs and minor work and they’re OK too. Halfords auto centre in Sydenham, conversely, were woeful.

Does anyone have any recommendations of local garages?

Recommended shops and services in SE23

We used to live opposite Rodney Garage when they were on Bovill Road. They have relocated to the Malham Road estate now but they were and are excellent. Recommended.

Another option is Ichthus Motor Services off Brockley Rise in Honor Oak. Honest, reliable and reasonably priced - they have been servicing my car for years and do great work.

I’ll second the Rodney Garages recommendation.

Thirded for Rodney Garages. Also used Prestige and they were fine but Rodney is where we normally go.

I’ve been using Rodney Garage for years and am very happy with the service.

Lot of love for Rodney garages on here!

Any where else good?

Hey @Moto_Hodder did you go to Rodney’s in the end?

I’ve just bought a second hand car and looking to get a service on it.
Just wondering what your experience was like?

Cheers

Second for Ichthus and Prestige. We were using a garage in Herne Hill which was meant to be amazing for our particular car (the Queen uses them too), but Prestige gets our vote now. Fab service.

Been struggling on with a growing list of minor repairs required, so can’t comment on Rodney’s as yet. Looks like a job for 2017.

mod: merged into existing topic

Hi, relatively new to the area and in need of a mechanic but unsure who is decent and trustworthy. Any recommendations would be most welcome!
Thanks

Grove Autos on Worlsey Bridge Road. Never had problems.

http://www.albinbmotors.co.uk/ also on Worsely Bridge Road. Kevin the owner is pleasant to deal with. Always does a good job. Been going there for about 4 years.

Ask Mike

There’s a site called Foxy Lady that women can look up reliable mechanics, plumbers, electricians etc that won’t rip you off for being female. I found a great garage who employ people who have been in trouble with the law or had a bad start in life and they teach them a trade. They’ve been really good and they don’t charge the earth. They’re called Smart Garage Services (not just for Smart Cars but I have one) http://smartgarageservices.co.uk and there are several branches. I use the one in Woolwich.

That really annoys me, an Audi garage tried this with my other half and she rang me in tears. I had a word and suddenly a service bill of over £1500 came down to a few hundred pounds. Right bunch of chancers.

Happened to me too. Halford’s said my cam belt needed changing…not realising that I’m alright with cars and know that Smart Cars don’t have cam belts, they have cam chains that don’t need replacing! Was treated like an idiot throughout, even when I wrote and complained.

Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

Based on recommendations from you lot, I’ve spent a fortune at Rodney Garages this last two months. Can’t really complain about anything except how often I’m there which is not a function of them, but a function on the churn of vehicles at my house.

Had a good experience with Rodney Garage for our first annual MOT and service since moving to SE23. Did a thorough job, the tracking was way off, so they called to let me know before proceeding with any extra work.
Friendly and efficient service, will be using them in future.