Local meet ups/clubs?

I am indeed from the great county. Bowers Gifford was home for a number of years, still got the badge and gun to prove it :wink:

Hi @Emily_Ray funnily enough I played football down the road from you for hullbridge once upon a time, small world :blush: anyway, I’ve lived locally for 15 or so years now and if I had the chance to revisit that choice I wouldn’t have changed a thing. Welcome to the area :blush:

2 Likes

https://www.celiahammond.org

1 Like

Hey Emily,

Welcome to the area! In my experience so far, pretty much everybody round here is a couple in their late 20s / early 30s with a love of cats, so you’re in good company :slight_smile: We found this out by sticking notes under our neighbours’ doors when we arrived and asking them round for a drink, and now we all take turns to host, cat sit etc. Would definitely recommend getting some wine in and giving it a go!

If anything, I’m missing the grit of Hackney and am trying to ferret out SE23’s less cosy / more avant garde side. There’s great alternative comedy at the Honor Oak Pub, vintage nights at the Rivoli theatre and I gather there’s an art-house cinema in Deptford, but if anyone has any other quirky local tips please let me know…

2 Likes

Subplot 57 just opened under Leaf and Groove as SE23’s newest speakeasy/community space. Opening night was Cocaine for Christmas with jazz, blues and gin.

Less cosy enough? :wink:

2 Likes

To avoid any ambiguity: Opening night was entitled “Cocaine for Christmas” :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Emily_Ray you’re welcome to drop into the book club, all welcome and we don’t take it (or ourselves) too seriously. Details of Feb’s meet on the forum

2 Likes

Hi @Emily_Ray
I’d be keen on a knitting group, if you and @Maxine_Hamilton want to venture along together one evening?

1 Like

Hi just to add on the sports side that there are parkruns every Saturday at 9am in both Dulwich Park and Peckham Rye - they’re very friendly and welcoming and very well attended (this week’s in Dulwich had over 500 runners according to the results page!) - although not technically a club I’m pretty sure quite a few people from Forest Hill head to the Dulwich one and from Honor Oak to the Peckham Rye one.

3 Likes

Yes, this one sounds great @finnac - what do you think @Maxine_Hamilton?

Thanks all so much for your help! Lots of great suggestions and can’t wait to try them out :smiley:

Thank you so much for the tip off! I am definitely going to check this out. I did see the Cocaine for Christmas posters but once I worked out it wasn’t a maverick gift idea, I came to the erroneous conclusion that it was some kind of community theatre project (I think the name ‘Stage Door Guy’ got me confused). I also followed a few things they follow on Twitter and shall hopefully be on a counter-culture odyssey before long - will let you know how it goes.

2 Likes

@finnac I can’t knit, but would be fun to learn @Emily_Ray! Depends on the times really!xx

1 Like

@finnac @Emily_Ray @Maxine_Hamilton Hi Ladies I am new to the area too - just moved to Honor Oak with my husband and cat, and looking to meet some friends to do things with every now and then! Did you guys meet up? What have you found that’s fun to do so far? Thanks :slight_smile: Jessie x

2 Likes

Hi all ! I’m new here too - I’m 30, just started a new job and moved from Cornwall
with my boyfriend and cat (seems to be a theme) - so totally new to London life and don’t know many people ! Very keen to get some meets going or join in some volunteering /
clubs / groups if anyone wants to try any :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, I would also like to make some new friends in the area if there is room for one more :grinning:. Late 30-ies, no cat though…

2 Likes

Welcome to all our new members on this topic! :wave:

Keep an eye on the SE23.life Agenda page as there’s always loads going on locally.

1 Like

Hi @Jessie,
Thanks for reminding me about this, we didn’t ever get together but if people are keen then shall we try?
@Emily_Ray @Maxine_Hamilton @tashya14 @JS and indeed, anybody else too!

Full disclosure - I don’t have a cat.

4 Likes

Sounds good! Maybe we should just arrange to go for a drink somewhere and go from there! Maybe a weeknight in Feb? I’m free any night w/c 18th…

1 Like
SE23.life Meetup, Feb 2019, Sylvan Post

I’m awful at keeping up and checking this forum but I’m definitely keen to meet up. Shall we choose an evening to meet for a wee drink - maybe in Chandos, to chat about things coming up?x

4 Likes

If you’d like to poll for a date everyone can make, there are some handy instructions here: How to create a poll

1 Like