Loft conversion - any recommendations?

recommendations

Hi, looking to have our loft converted and could do with some building firm recommendations. Ball park prices would be a bonus too if anyone had had recent work done and would mind sharing. Looking to have one bedroom and bathroom with dormer hip to gable.

Thanks!

Loft conversion / planning permission
Recommended shops and services in SE23

Possibly helpful:

@BMSE23 is a verified member so his recommendation is extra-credible.

Hi James1P

I used Classic Lofts a few years back and they were very good. From start to finish was about 6/7 week. Cant remember the exact cost but was somewhere in the region 35k I think.

PM me if you want a recommendation of who to avoid. For the life of me I wouldn’t have them do my loft again.

Prices are typically quoted in the 35k area depending but you really have to check what you get for that. Our didn’t include the actual cost of the bathroom furniture for example - just the cost of fitting it. Tilling, flooring, decorating etc can all be extras. Like @Stephen we had a fairly rubbish experience although our end product is OK.

Hi @James1P…we very recently used a firm called Detailed Developments for our loft conversion, even though they weren’t the cheapest quote. We had a great experience and are really happy with the finished product. They’re a small firm in Croydon. If we ever have the funding to do our kitchen we’d definitely have them back. Good luck with it - it’s a huge decision!

Thanks Nick, might have to look a bit further afield. Quotes I’ve had so far, only a couple, have been a lot more. You’re right about checking what’s included, seems to be quite a range being offered. Hard work!

We used benchmark lofts (tom) and they were excellent and very competitive.dont know if you can private message on this forum but do if you can and want to take a look
P

I had my loft converted by a company called LMB Lofts. I do NOT recommend them.

I thought I’d add to this as we have recently used benchmark Lofts and have been very impressed. They started and finished on time, (7weeks start to finish including decoration for 2bedrooms and a shower room) very competitively priced and included decorating costs too. All their workman were nice and respectful and importantly, good at their job - especially the decorators who have given a really good finish and Tom was always on hand to discuss design ideas and troubleshoot concerns that may be arising. Thoroughly recommend

Just wanted to add to my earlier recommendation for Tom and add to JBrew’s to mention that he and his team have been out to redecorate after areas around the new staircase settled (inevitable after loft conversions) and they have been fantastically responsive with the odd snag. Brilliant team of builders and 12 months on from completing our loft, first and ground floor adaptations and installing a kitchen we still absolutely love it. Competitively priced and very highly recommended. Google Benchmark lofts or he’s on 07747 694087

We used Taylored lofts - excellent and I would recommend them. It is worth running a competitive an informal tendering process though, so you understand the differences between the suppliers, what’s important to you in the design and it also helps reduce the cost.

Hi Nylon,

We’ve just had a quote from Taylored Lofts. If you have any more insight you can share with us that would be great! Did they complete on time? Anything to watch out for? Basically anything you could share with us would be really appreciated!

Hi Emily, Can you share who you weren’t happy with? We’re looking for companies at the moment and obviously want to steer clear of people who aren’t good!
Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hi pm your email address and I’ll send you the quote comparisson I did. It was a few years ago now so costs will have increased but may still be of interest.

Thanks so much Nylon that would be great - can’t work out how to PM you though!? Do you know how to do that?!

I’ve enabled PMing for you, @plumface.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Thanks - have just PMd you.

Hi James,

Alas my builders who were great have re-located but for what its worth this is what I learnt from the process:

• Measure, measure, measure. We have small London houses and every inch counts. The builder/architect does one of these everyday and they’re not going to push to the limits unless you push them.
  • Don’t skimp on the insulation. Good insulation not only means it can be thiner (giving you higher ceilings) but will also make the difference when it comes to using the room in the summer and the winter.
  • Rooms in the eaves look bigger when you extend into the eaves. Even though you can’t actually the feeling of space really helps.
  • If at all possible go with you neighbour. Lots of gains: generally cheaper, you don’t need insulation between the two houses (meaning you can have bigger rooms) and it looks neater.
  • When you’re told you need a saniflo get a tape measure out and see if you can’t persuade them that there will be enough drop on the soil pipe to avoid one.
  • If you’re having a shower put in then put lots of sound insulation under the floor below the shower so the people sleeping in the bedroom below can’t hear too much.
  • If you’re running hot water pipes up to the loft run them alongside the central heating pipes. That way the water in the pipe is kept warm meaning you don’t have to wait ages for hot water.
  • Fit as many big Veluxes as you can. Not only do they provide light but crucially they artificially increase the headroom in the eaves bit.
  • Perfect builders do not exist so be realistic about what you can deal with and what you can’t. Mine drove me mad because I thought they were too slow but in hindsight they A. did a good job and B. were trustworthy. I had no concerns about them being left alone in my house, my neighbours trusted them, they were considerate when school children were about etc. That’s worth gold.
  • Remember your builders are more like live in staff you have with you for several months than contractors popping in to do a fixed job. You’ll need favours off them, you’ll need them to want to work for you and want to do a good job. To do that you need to keep them motivated and motivated right the way through the job.
  • All the extras will add up, even though you think you’ve planned everything in. You’ll want to budget for them as it’s generally cheaper to do this/change that/add that now than it is later.

Only my thoughts and I did most of mine myself (all bar the actual building bit with steels and bricks and stuff) so can’t comment on most of the internals. Hope it helps.

Dan