Archived on 6/5/2022

London Bridge to Forest Hill - Am I Dreaming?

starman
17 Jan '18

Wasn’t there a Southern service from London Bridge to Forest Hill leaving just after 6pm… like 1806? There’s a 1706. There’s a 1906. There’s even a 2006 and a 2106.

As it stands there is almost a 30 minute gap at the height of the evening rush hour.

Am I dreaming?

Jimsthename
17 Jan '18

There was, but it disappeared when they started the London Bridge improvements work. Huge hole in peak time service.

Sgc
17 Jan '18

Been gone for at least 2 years. I have frequently had to run for 18.52!! Otherwise come up with ways to kill the waiting time (luckily now few more shops at the station which helps).

Forethugel
18 Jan '18

The service should come back (or at least an equivalent) with the new timetable in May this year which will change all train times. In the last consultation, Southern has shown the following departure times for trains from London Bridge to Forest Hill (minutes departing past the hour):
10, 40 (Croydon trains)
28, 58 (Victoria trains)

The last Victoria service would be at 22:28. After that time there would only be a train every half hour, whereas today it is every 15 minutes until about midnight!

This was only the consultation though so it remains to be seen what will actually happen…

JDND
18 Jan '18

Yes there was once upon a time…
It seems strange that of all the trains they cut is a key one at peak times. Then last night the 1822 skipped past Brockley, HOP, FH and Sydenham, so had to wait until the 1837, it’s not that uncommon for that to happen.
Hopefully they bring the 1806 back in May.

starman
18 Jan '18

Crikey. Glad I ran to catch the 1752.

Forethugel
18 Jan '18

I think it is to do with the construction works, and all the issues two years ago which led to trains being taken off the timetable. Remember there used to be 9 platforms, now there are only 6. There are trains to other places outside London which only run during peak times - one can only assume that they have many high-fare paying commuters on them as well as an army of MPs standing ready if their voters’ train was to be affected. It is a totally different picture in London and our area in particular, where voters of one constituency are spread across many different lines.

All history in May though…

jrothlis
18 Jan '18

The morning services seem very reliable, but the evening ones (from 17:00) are incredibly unreliable! If I’m slightly late they are guaranteed to depart on time, but otherwise they always seem (sometimes heavily) delayed.

starman
18 Jan '18

Snap.

Paul_R
18 Jan '18

Two things that have started to annoy me about the services from FH - 1) Trains missing out FH - NXG entirely if running late - this happens in both directions and is especially annoying if you are on the train (e.g. me coming back from Gatwick last weekend) when an announcement happens.
2) Trains leaving EARLY, for example today the 11.09 to Crystal Palace leaving at 11.07 just as I was getting to the top of the stairs!

Forethugel
18 Jan '18

The best response to this is probably sending some customer feedback to Southern. Twitter has proven to be particularly effective as a way in. Whether this changes anything is a different matter, but say if all passenger annoyed by this spent the time to follow this approach it is not unlikely that it would be picked up and something done about.

maxrocks
18 Jan '18

I’ve noticed that in the past 6 months morning services (I catch the train into town around 9am) have been getting worse and worse, consistantly late, and cancelled trains.
Its REALLY REALLY getting me down, that coupled with the overcrowding and hellish interchange at Canada water when I get an Overground is really starting to grind me down.
every day this week my trains have been cancelled or delayed.
I feel in Forest hill we are at the mercy of the trains as there is a paucity of bus routes into central west end.

FaeryCatmother
19 Jan '18

I’ve started going in an hour and half early to miss the Canada Water Crush in the mornings. I can leave earlier, but that then means I’m hitting peak time coming home. It’s really getting to me too. The commuters on the Jubilee Line are at least civilised, lining up at Canary Wharf etc., but the behaviour of the people at the Canada Water interchange is appalling.

I’m seriously thinking of going on to Wapping and catching the bus from there. It will had at least half an hour to my commute, but at least I won’t be crushed, elbowed, coughed on and sworn at.

Michael
19 Jan '18

Or you could change at Canada Water to the northbound train, and change at Rotherhithe to the southbound train. It may add 15 minutes to your journey, but probably not more (and sometimes it adds nothing) - and it will avoid most of those negative ‘human interactions’.

FaeryCatmother
19 Jan '18

It’s the changing at Canada Water at all that’s the problem for me. Yesterday I had someone push me into the door as we were getting off. I honestly don’t know what it is about the Ginger Line and that station that make people act like such animals.

Hollow
19 Jan '18

I think the desperation stems from those people who live beyond Sydenham mostly towards West Croydon. Because if you don’t get on your exact train, you will be waiting for quite a while. The Crystal Palace train the people are slightly less agro. But yeah I avoid Canada Water like the plague after 5:30pm

Sgc
19 Jan '18

Yes I always try to get on a train starting at Crystal palace. Do think everyone calmer as on it for shorter time.
Within Canada Water can also do the longer walk for interchange to avoid crush. So walk upstairs to to ticket barriers and back down the other route.

divya_m
19 Jan '18

Totally agree with you. I always try and avoid that interchange on my evening commute – If I do need to get on it, I try and get in towards the rear of the train – less aggression there for whatever reason

FaeryCatmother
19 Jan '18

Someone shoved me so hard to get on the CP train before me that I nearly fell on the tracks. It’s not desperation, its just plain cretinous behaviour.

Fishingcat
20 Jan '18

Agreed, the Canada Water interchange is most unpleasant in the morning rush. I’ve just restarted a commute to Green Park after a couple of years going elsewhere and it seems much worse than it used to be. I’ve now changed tack completely and just get the Southern train in the opposite direction to Victoria, then walk. Always get a seat and it’s far more pleasant. It adds 30 mins to the journey but it’s time I spend either reading or exercising rather than being shoved about and squashed into someone’s armpit!

Forethugel
22 Jan '18

Depending on where you’re residing this may or may not be of use, but there are now also three direct trains from Crofton Park to Victoria in the morning - much faster than going around the houses.

The experience of commuting through London Bridge has also vastly improved since the station has fully opened earlier this month. I believe this hasn’t changed the scramble down to the Jubilee Line though.

DevonishForester
25 Jan '18

If you calculate cost per mile, journeys from Forest Hill into London Bridge are probably as expensive as any. (Happy to be corrected)

The evening journey from London Bridge back out is a no-win choice - either risk a 30 minute wait at London Bridge, or go sardine/Jubilee to an overcrowded interchange at Canada Water.

Is it a technical/capacity problem or a political problem? Has anyone had a conversation with our new MP about this?

Doesn’t help that local bus services have been trimmed

Maybe populated by peace-loving Forest Hill residents in the last carriage to be near the exit at FH station?

Forethugel
25 Jan '18

Probably, but to the train company, or central government who owns the risk in this particular case, it’s the total revenue stream that counts, not the fare per mile to the passenger, given trains, tracks and driver are there and have already been paid for regardless.
Secondly, for people with season tickets from Forest Hill, a disproportionately higher share of this fare will go to TfL anyway, because of the frequency of the Overground and also the travel on tube and buses that’s covered.

It’s mainly the former, but as said, there should be a London Bridge train about every 15 minutes again from May.

Not sure if anyone has approached the MP (Forest Hill Society may have?), but it is fair to say that she has been very engaging with the Crofton Park user group (aka A Cindarella Line) which appears to have had great success so far, and she has also many and actually mostly Southeastern commuters to worry about. I think since the introduction of the Overground services our line is sometimes considered as having had its fair share of recent improvements already.

Interestingly, I (and surely many others) had a Tory leaflet in the letter box the other day promising a campaign for better Southeastern services to help people in LB Lewisham if elected. I’m not sure how they think this will buy them any votes in Forest Hill, but they probably didn’t think at all and I’m not even blaming them here, but it confirms the point further above!

Baboonery
25 Jan '18

Periodic reminder that SE23 is split into two parliamentary constituencies (actually there are little bits of it in two others, as well, but for the most part), and the line would probably astonish anyone who hasn’t looked at it before or seen placards for different candidates from the same party at election time. We in fact have two new MPs in the area, so discussions should probably name names.

starman
25 Jan '18

Can someone post the link to the new proposed timetable? Is it firm yet?

hojo
25 Jan '18

Hello, do you know what times these are?