Londonist: “Why Gentrification Isn’t Always Bad for London”

anon5422159
24 Jul '16

CHfigaro
25 Jul '16

Gentrification is GREAT

anon5422159
25 Jul '16

I don’t agree with everything in here, but this is an interesting article that distinguishes the “good kind” of gentrification from the rapid phenomenon we’re current seeing:

http://www.citymetric.com/politics/words-gentrification-and-regeneration-are-no-longer-fit-purpose-we-should-stop-using-them

anon5422159
17 Aug '16

Jobcentre becomes hotel:

Posterchild gentrification! #MorePlease

anon64893700
17 Aug '16

I prefer to see it as the success of people championing the area, people taking a chance on opening a business, and making it more interesting for people to visit.
For some reason the word gentrification drives me nuts.

The suggestion of a planned re-purposing of a building by a chain of hotels, to increase their hold on the market place. Penge has a Travelodge, not exactly a thriving redevelopment. That was an old office building too.

anon5422159
17 Aug '16

To me it signals that Forest Hill is becoming more of a destination. We don’t know what chain of hotels will take the lease, but whoever it is, this broadens the range of services available to the area, and it will increase our profile, and hopefully the footfall on the high street too.

anon64893700
17 Aug '16

Footfall to the high street for sure, raise the profile of the area? Less sure about that one. I don’t think the Trip Advisor ratings for SE23 will sky rocket for having a branch of a chain of economy hotels in it.

Travelodge will take anywhere they can to put people visiting London, preferably not needing to construct a building but instead convert existing, as they do regularly.
Penge is named “Crystal Palace” on their website. Near enough and probably cheap enough to make it worthwhile.

I guess we disagree what having such a company means.
Either way, if it is good for local business, I am all for it.

Ideal destination as far as the hotel companies are concerned, direct and quick link to London Bridge means a more premium room charge. 5 mins from the train station, buses etc. As locations go, its brilliant. But I will bet most coming to stay there will be heading into town, not directly choosing it to visit Forest Hill.

starman
17 Aug '16

I suppose many (like me) would consider Travelodge and Premier a low budget (though good value) brand with homogenized interiors. Perhaps not quite the standard we’d hope for FH when we also praise the high quality independents and hope for an Everyman takeover of the Capitol.

anon64893700
17 Aug '16

I agree with you, the position in the market of the companies is very clear, but I enjoy my stay each time. Nothing wrong with them at all, and they serve huge purpose in the market.
I doubt very much it will be anything grander than either of these two, or a bright orange EasyBed lol or whatever it would be called.

Forest Hill is indeed rising slowly but surely, and the bulk of the credit goes to those investing their time and ideas in local businesses.

Either way, I don’t quite see this as a massive boost to the area as such. Few jobs maybe, that would be good.

anon64893700
17 Aug '16

Now if the development were to include a Nando’s, THEN I would consider the area taking a huge step forwards. If we can’t have a Domino’s, can we have a Nando’s?

CHfigaro
17 Aug '16

Isn’t Nando’s a bit chavvy? A Carluccio’s would be better!

anon64893700
17 Aug '16

Oooh are we starting to judge people now! :joy:
I love a good Nando’s, whatever that makes me.

anon5422159
17 Aug '16

Nandos on a “Gentrification” topic? Talk about off topic! (only kidding, I love Nandos)

anon64893700
17 Aug '16

I thought it was spot on. Surely its about what we see as the development of an area. If a Waitrose can signal the up and coming status of an area, why not a Nando’s?

(I’m kidding)
And yes, Nando’s rocks.

Yours truly
43 year old chav.

anon64893700
17 Aug '16

On a lighter note, it made a pretty quiet topic quite busy. Feel free to split off to its own topic at will. Or merge it with the original post by Pauline.

I blame the person that duplicated a thread on here to make their point :yum: :joy:

CHfigaro
17 Aug '16

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy a Nando’s just as much as the next guy. But on the topic of gentrification I do think Nando’s is quite low end for what is ideally want SE23 to be!

Pauline
17 Aug '16

I used to love The Orchard (now Thai Orchard which I like too) when ainsley & her husband owned it.

A restaurant similar to this (I used to love when they had escargot on the menu & so did my daughter who was 3 upwards at the time) along with a funky or very different type of bar on the ground floor of the building as a hotel would be amazing!

Probably wishful thinking on my part on this thou, but you never know stranger things have happened :slight_smile:

Pauline
17 Aug '16

If you’re a chav Michael then I certainly am :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hands up & I give in :joy::joy::joy:

anon64893700
17 Aug '16

But I’m not Pauline, you are on your own there lol

Pauline
17 Aug '16

Haha Michael, I really don’t mind any title good or bad being pinned on me, but would rather just be P :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

robin.orton
17 Jul '18

I hadn’t heard about the Gentrification Resistance Brigade. How do I join? Do they have a smart uniform and a secret oath?

starman
17 Jul '18

Does this mean there is an Anti-Gentrification Resistance Brigade too? Wonder if they’ll get a balloon?

starman
24 Jul '18

According to GoCompare, Lewisham is the least gentrified part of London. Seems there is room for more coffee houses.

https://www.gocompare.com/landlord-insurance/gentrification-hotspots-london/

Andy
24 Jul '18

I wonder about the “salary change” figure. Is that an intra borough average salary figure, i.e. jobs located within the borough, or does it reflect the salary of people living in the borough?

starman
24 Jul '18

Good question. No idea

Beige
24 Jul '18

I’m pretty sure it’s the latter. Intended to show if higher earners have moved to the area.

robin.orton
25 Jul '18

This is good news. Perhaps our children or even our grandchildren will be able to buy a property in Lewisham and look after us in our old age.

Fagin
25 Jul '18

Lewisham is home to the finest cafe in Sarf East London called Maggies. The breakfast will feed an army the coffee is great the service spot on and properly priced. So if you are in the area check it out.