Archived on 6/5/2022

Longhorn American / Italian Diner Crofton Park

oakr
1 Oct '16

So I’ve not seen much written about this place, but tried it today ( 2 adults 2 under 5s).

Really nice burgers, homemade and beautifully seasoned, great milkshakes and super friendly welcome.

Good portion sizes, clear plates all round, good value and very close to reach -171, 172, 122 stop 30 seconds away. It’s just opposite the beer dispensary / Mr Lawrence Wine bar a stone’s throw from Crofton Park station.

Whilst the table and seats ae basic as such, the atmosphere is really nice inside.

If you like burgers I’d urge you to try it, with or without kids. The mac and chesee looked good also, and they had steaks on the menu.

Al

Dave
1 Oct '16

We’ve eaten the food from Longhorn as takeaway and sitting in and it’s been great every time. Not fussy, but cooked with real love, care and attention - it’s a local gem.

Pauline
1 Oct '16

Been meaning to try this place for a while, looking forward to it when I get a chance :slight_smile:

fran
2 Oct '16

Ah this place is my secret! It doesn’t look like much but the food is great, it’s very reasonably priced, super kid friendly (so avoid after school time if you don’t like kids) and never too busy. And the meatballs are both giant and a secret recipe from genuine Italian Nonna. The kids love it! Try the Oreo milkshake :slight_smile:

Thewrongtrousers
3 Oct '16

Its top food served by nice people. Its a good family owned local joint. Sadly it has become very pressing that I lose some weight therefore I will not be going in for the foreseeable future. ;-(

oakr
4 Oct '16

Sorry for revealing the secret Fran! :slight_smile:

I didn’t realise they did takeaway Dave - this is not good news for my waist!

Irmani_Smallwood
10 Oct '16

Inspired by this thread we went in at the weekend. Great burgers and the boozy milkshakes very tasty!

DickWynne
12 Oct '16

Working at home today I felt a burger craving coming on so popped in lunchtime for a New Yorker (sadly sans fries & bun while I tune up carb-less to start at the the gym.:innocent:). Crikey, it was good – and Rudi and Maria charming. Now if only apple pie was carb-less… This place really deserves to succeed.

fran
10 Jun '17

I know I’ve commented on this place before but having just had tea there wanted to again say how awesome this place is. I really don’t get why it’s not busier. The decor is a little 1997 but the food is great, the owners are lovely and it’s cheap especially the massive kids portions. They sell booze now too. They’ve just started deliveroo too. Highly recommend.

FaeryCatmother
10 Jun '17

I’m going to have to try it in situ. I ordered some takeaway from them via Deliveroo and it was awful.

Scully
21 Jun '17

Another here here for this place. Fabulous burgers. Calabrese burger was particularly fantastic. Kids loved it. Lovely owners. Would thoroughly recommend.

Howdo
22 Jun '17

Like this place too (and kids absolutely love it) but if the beef has the good provenance they advertise they should offer the burgers cooked rare - as with other restaurants targeting this market. I did suggest this to them but they said it’s illegal to sell rare burgers. It’s not.

Londondrz
22 Jun '17

We were in Byron Burger a month ago, they would not serve us a medium rare burger. Group policy until they had some new fangled cooker installed.

CHfigaro
22 Jun '17

That excuse has been going on for months!

oakr
22 Jun '17

They aid the same thing to us first time we went in - I was worried I’d get an overdone burger but it was very nice.

It does seem odd though, and they did seem adamant.

Londondrz
22 Jun '17

Health and Safety dictate they cant. So they dont otherwise big fine and potential closure. If I was a burger joint I know what I would do.

oakr
22 Jun '17

Of course if that was the case, we’d all do that. My question was more is that the case - I’ll check next time I get a burger somewhere else - maybe it’s the way they make them.

Londondrz
22 Jun '17

I have to say I was worried that my burger would arrive looking like a sacrificial offering, it looked pretty damn medium rare to me.

https://www.byronhamburgers.com/news/medium-rare/

oakr
22 Jun '17

Byron is generally pretty good!

Does not that show it’s not a health and safety issue though? Any I guess we are going off track and I don’t want to put people off this great place - however they are cooked they are great and beautifully seasoned.

Londondrz
22 Jun '17

OK it’s the Mirror but other publications are available :slight_smile:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/you-shouldnt-order-medium-rare-7124070

There is specific advice on the FSA web site but I am guessing it has to do with not wishing to be sued. I may be wrong.

Brett
22 Jun '17

Of course it is. If a place refuses to cook a burger to order then I do wonder about the provenance of the meat. Having said that, to be clear, have tried the Longhorn burger and thought it was pretty good for the price.

starman
13 Jul '17

We’ve ordered twice this week from Longhorn using Deliveroo. Don’t judge us. We’re blaming jet lag and a general post-holiday malaise.

First impressions have been wonderful. Food has arrived quickly and hot. The beef patties are very good though TOH didn’t quite like the “London” combination with a sausage patty. Last night I had a hot dog which was full of flavour.
The chilli on top wasn’t too hot but did not shy away from its heated roots. We’re now both fans of their garlic butter chips.

So much for getting those holiday pounds off early.

appletree
13 Jul '17

It is actually a rule in Westminster that you can’t get a rare burger. Apparently chopped meat is a very different proposition than steak concerning foid safety. I like rate burgers but I don’t fault Longhorn for insisting after having argued this out with Byron.

I did not like Longhorn burgers, though, because like many burgers in the UK, they had all sorts of extra seasonings. Hamburgers should be just meat. Only Byron has hamburgers that satisfy me as US person. Sadly none in South London that I know of.

Brett
13 Jul '17

There is a food safety difference. E-coli tends to contaminate the outside so a rare steak is ok as the cooking process kills the pathogens. With mince, the outside has been mixed in, so yes different but it is not true to say that a rare burger is not allowed, just more hoops to jump through:
https://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/guidancenotes/meatregsguid/less-than-thoroughly-cooked-beef-burgers

RachaelDunlop
13 Jul '17

Having lived Stateside for a few years, I know what you mean. I’ve found a solution, though. I make my own with aged beef mince from The Butchery. It has just enough fat in it that you don’t need to add any binding agent, just whatever seasoning you do (or don’t want). And cook it as rare as you like. The flavour of their mince makes an outstanding burger.

starman
13 Jul '17

Here’s another trick. Add some Guinness. It really boosts the beefy flavour especially if you’re not using Butchery beef.

Pauline
26 Aug '17

My son waned to try this for ages, and we tried tonight - he was so vocal about how dry the food was - I had Chicken & not beef burger & it was so chewey. I didn’t eat it, it wasn’t nice, sorry :frowning:

Dodge
26 Aug '17

I have eaten there before had the ribs to start, they were awful frozen stuff. Burgers were average.
Fries and milkshake were good though.:rofl::rofl:

oakr
27 Aug '17

That’s a shame - I feel slightly guilty!. We’ve always enjoyed it, maybe they had an off day or maybe you have better taste buds in the family than I! Only every had the burgers and hotdogs though - it’s not gauchos to be clear, but it’s a lot cheaper!

Pauline
27 Aug '17

I agree very reasonably priced & possibly they may have been busy on the weekend - plus I only have take away about once a year & make my own burgers from scratch on the rare occasion we have them, so maybe I shouldn’t judge too much.

I will give it another try :slight_smile:

oakr
27 Aug '17

Did you get it delivered or ear in? I’ve only ever eaten in, but I think someone else said they were disappointed with the delivered option .

Pauline
27 Aug '17

Was delivered & was about 40 mins, I think this might be an issue.

starman
28 Aug '17

Weve used quite regularly through Deliveroo and always liked. We’re huge fans of the garclic fries.

anon64893700
28 Aug '17

As somewhere I have long wanted to eat, it gets some very mixed reviews. Almost makes me want to bump it up the list a bit and see for myself sooner.

It’s either very hit and miss, or we all have very different opinions and expectations.

anon5422159
17 Sep '18

New shutter art courtesy of Owain Nicholls:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnyR33qhOC_/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

anon5422159
7 May '19

Sad to discover this news today:

anon5422159
28 Oct '19

Continues: New to Crofton Park: TR Spice (formerly Longhorn)