Archived on 6/5/2022

Loyalty cards for coffee

JS
24 May '18

If you collect stamps or points for your coffee, do you actually know how much you have to spend in order to get a free one? I thought I did, but clearly I didn’t…

Conclusion: Costa is a joke. Spend over 70 pounds to get one free. Compare this to:
Caffee Nero~25.20
Starbucks~ 40.50
McDo ~11.34

On the Hoof~24.30
Beany Green~22.40

If you like to add any extras to your drink obvioulsy that will push up the cost.

applespider
24 May '18

I have a loyalty card for posh coffee in the office - 10th one is free. Minimum spend would be £10.80

Beige
24 May '18

Is this based on ordering the cheapest drink? Presumably a single espresso?

anon30031319
24 May '18

Surely a freebie is a freebie, if you are buying the drink anyway? I would not choose a retailer on the basis of getting the freebie, I would choose based on product.

I see the point, but …

JS
24 May '18

regular or medium cappucino…I found the reference to Costa, starbucks and McD on the internet… I really had to fact check the price of my free Costa…

JS
24 May '18

In a different context I would agree.

anon10646030
24 May '18

I think it works for regulars who go there anyway but doubt it will attract mir business it’s just a nice way to say thank you

RachaelDunlop
24 May '18

Well, yes. But say you liked Costa and Nero equally and had the same daily access to both, then you’ll get more free coffee by choosing the latter over the former.

Beige
24 May '18

Just because something is free doesn’t mean it doesn’t have value. I prefer freebies of greater value to those of less value. Surely I should then take freebies into account when making purchasing decisions.

Beige
24 May '18

So the retailer wants to give money away to people who would be there anyway, and these cards fail to attract more custom?! IF this is true then these companies must be mad (and making less profit than they could be).

anon10646030
24 May '18

No it’s not mad it’s about keeping there customer base and repeat customers it’s easier to sell to established customer base than to recruit a be new one , imagine a Pub would rely on new customers rather than have regulars

Philippe
24 May '18

A bit off topic, but I avoid Costa anyway :stuck_out_tongue: and I hate when they’re the only option around (like in some airport I can’t recall). Worst UK coffee shop chain.

Beige
24 May '18

But these regulars ‘go there anyway’… why do they need to give them freebies?

Philippe
24 May '18

A free coffee is an invitation to consume more, like a croissant, which hopefully becomes a habit.

Beige
24 May '18

But it’s not like a croissant… it’s another coffee… I don’t think many of these regulars will buy a coffee, complete their loyalty card, immediately order another coffee and then develop a habit by which they drink 2 coffees each visit.

imho the cards are used to ensure the loyalty of existing customers (ie there is a good chance that without them they would not ‘be there anyway’).

anon30031319
24 May '18

I guess we all have something which drives our purchasing process.

starman
24 May '18

Wait. On the Hoof has a loyalty card?

JS
25 May '18

My bad. It’s matchbox at Brockley st. Not on the hoof. Sorry I made a mistake.

Jon_Robinson
25 May '18

there’s a coffee place next to the bus stop by Dalston Junction, with a loyalty card - 9th coffee is free. I go there most mornings anyway, so it’s nice to get a free coffee every now and then (coffee is a flat price of £1.50 regardless of how you take it and how it’s made) - £12 buying 8 coffees gets me my ninth free.
There’s also a reward card in the Bird In Hand, buy 8 pints of real ale and get 9th free. We got four pints in there while watching the semi final play off on Tuesday night, and we’ll get four more watching the championship play off final on Saturday, and we’ll get a free one. In most other london pubs, a pint is near enough £5 - so this is a good deal. In the Bird In Hand, a pint of Doombar is ‘only’ £1.99. still a good deal, but not as good as it could be in other pubs. but in this instance the loyalty card will get me back in there.

Beige
25 May '18

Where do you get Doombar for less than £1.99?

Jon_Robinson
25 May '18

I don’t know anywhere that sells it cheaper than that.
but if the beer costs more (£3, £5?) then the free one has a higher value?..

Beige
25 May '18

Sounds like a bargain to me. I guess I misunderstood the below.