Archived on 6/5/2022

Make Them Walk

Swagger
14 Dec '20

Firstly, hands up, I’m not a parent so please, parents among us, don’t take this personally. That being said, I can’t be the only one who has noticed this.

On Friday I was driving through Bromley near the magistrates court and I was caught between two double decker buses. In my rearview mirror I could see a yellow sign stating that only 14 passengers were allowed on at a time. Both buses were packed with school kids and upon overtaking the bus in front I noticed a conspicuous absense of masks. I understand that they’re kids who were doing exactly what I did on the way home from school: chatting, showing off and being a general nuisance. However, when I was at school we didn’t have the luxury of free bus travel and had to walk home and weren’t confined to a bus during a pandemic. Besides the obvious health advantages walking home from school benefits school kids, these kids riding home from school on the bus must be the biggest group of carriers of this virus. And they’re completely unchecked. On the few occasions that I’ve had to use public transport I’ve been sternly reassured that the network is patrolled by police and TfL officers but I’ve never seen or heard about anyone disobeying the rules being challenged by officials. On the strength of all the above, is it any surprise that COVID scepticism is rising every month?

ForestHull
14 Dec '20

I think there’s a fair bit of assumption in that there post - are you sure it wasn’t a School Service, hence packed with kids and keeping others separated?

For what it’s worth, when I’ve caught a bus - or gone anywhere for that matter - people of all ages seem to be ignoring the rules or wearing masks as chin-straps.

Singling out any one particular group isn’t particularly helpful in tackling this problem together.

Swagger
14 Dec '20

Correct me if I’m wrong, but they’re the least vulnerable, hence why I singled them out.

Londondrz
14 Dec '20

My kids admit that use of masks etc by their peers is crap. They are not bothered. It doesn’t matter to them.

Beige
14 Dec '20

Perhaps I am being slow, but what does any of this have to do with COVID scepticism?