Archived on 6/5/2022

Male apprehended for throwing knives in London Road

anon5422159
11 Jan '17

[thanks, @anon64893700, for the tip-off]

This happened in London Road, and thankfully no injuries, but some shop windows were smashed. Did anyone witness the incident?

Londondrz
11 Jan '17

Yes, I was there. It was interesting. Very encouraged by all of the shop keepers who banded together. Special mention to The Teapot who looked after my girls whilst we kept an eye on the guy before the police turned up.

AndyS
11 Jan '17

[jaw drop!!!]

When was this??? Horrific!

anon5422159
11 Jan '17

Blimey, John :astonished:. Sorry to hear you and the girls were caught up in this and glad you’re all unhurt.

Londondrz
11 Jan '17

Girls thought it was a great adventure, off school for the day and a weirdo with knives. Unfortunately that isn’t the worst they have seen.

Londondrz
11 Jan '17

Around 11am. I don’t think the pizza place next to the opticians will be open for a while, he was apparently living in there.

Thewrongtrousers
11 Jan '17

Thank goodness he only had knives. lets count our blessings

Pauline
11 Jan '17

So glad you and the girls (and everyone else) are okay & weren’t hurt.

Well done for helping keeping an eye on the idiot :+1:

Londondrz
11 Jan '17

Sadly he had thrown a large tile at the window of the optician and the architects practice next to the butchery. I arrived after he had disappeared back into the pizza shop and closed the shutters. Seeing some of the local shop keepers gathered on the pavement I stopped for a chat and was told what had happened, he then reappeared and it all went a bit Pete Tong.

What amused me was trying to warn people away, especially delivery drivers, to be met with strange looks. A van driver told us “I will take him on”. People are strange.

Pauline
11 Jan '17

So was this the owner or a staff member of the pizza shop, or someone living above with keys to the premises?

anon5422159
12 Jan '17

The story just made the Evening Standard:

Looks like they were in touch with Jacqueline, who commented on our Facebook post:

Londondrz
12 Jan '17

I have heard a version but only hearsay so don’t feel I should comment.

Londondrz
12 Jan '17

I also understand the hair dressers opposite Sainsbury as well as the pool cue maker where raided over the weekend by scooterists.