Archived on 6/5/2022

Man caught on CCTV using credit card stolen from elderly SE23 lady

anon5422159
24 Sep '18

Click for the video:

https://www.facebook.com/791775322/posts/10161050352450323/

jonfrewin
24 Sep '18

I find this intriguing, in that I can’t imagine how someone could get hold of CCTV footage of someone using a debit card, the same day the card was stolen and used, and identify with confidence the person who used it. I’d have thought it would take quite a bit of digital forensic investigation to match up bank records with exact time-codes of card use and CCTV clocks etc.

Natalie_Dolan-Erb
24 Sep '18

As far as i am aware, as soon as the bank was called to cancel the cards the victim was told the contactless card had already been used at a specific time and location that morning. Go to location, ask to see cctv, check times and u have your culprit! It isnt complicated. If you watch the video carefully u can see the suspect has his finger over the name on the card the whole time. Also, his bill was over the £30 limit, rather than use the card with the pin, he paid the £30 limit and the rest in cash.

starman
24 Sep '18

I had no idea that could be done.

jonfrewin
24 Sep '18

Fair enough - I stand corrected! It’s good that a bank can give you that detailed an analysis of card use on the phone on the same day.

MajaHilton
24 Sep '18

Hmmm,

A store that shares CCTV images with anyone but the Police…

jonfrewin
24 Sep '18

Hi Natalie, out of interest, why have you taken this post down?

jonfrewin
24 Sep '18

Quite…