Archived on 6/5/2022

Manbag/Satchel Repairs in the FH area?

Bolgerp
27 Jul '17

Hi all… I have a rather lovely (and somewhat delicate) leather man bag that unfortunately is in need of some minor repairs (one of the front clasps needs to be replaced… I suspect both will need to be done to match)… do you good people have any suggestions/recommendations for any local repair places? I know there’s the shoe/bag place in east Dulwich but was wondering if there’s somewhere else closer.

Londondrz
27 Jul '17

Timpson at Sainsburys Bell Green may be able to fix it.

starman
27 Jul '17

I think you’re thinking of Merrifield’s. Given the quality of the bag I’d be inclined to use an expert in leather.

Pauline
27 Jul '17

I know someone that makes really good quality leather satchels, next time he’s in I’ll get his number for you :slight_smile:

mwfrost
27 Jul '17

It depends if it’s a bag of value or not, that doesn’t always mean cost either. For leather I always reccomend not doing quick and easy as the results show and cannot be amended, take time for a good place even if you have to travel. Alternative contact the brand you got it from who may be able to supply the matching hardwear and even offer to fix the problem. I hope this helps

Pauline
27 Jul '17

I’ve had a handmade leather bag from the guy I’m recommending, he’s brilliant with soft leather products! Will try get his info asap

maxrocks
30 Jul '17

I went to the shoe repair shop on London Road next to the dentist to get a pair of church shoes re-soled he did a beautiful job I think I’d go to him as he is from my experience capable of doing quality repairs if required.

Claire_Hunt
3 Aug '17

Pauline did you find the name/number? I’d be v interested too! Thanks

Pauline
3 Aug '17

As soon as I see him I’ll get his number :slight_smile:

Claire_Hunt
3 Aug '17

Thank you!

Bolgerp
7 Aug '17

Satchel Update 1: Went to the shoe repair place next to the opticians. He wasn’t able to repair as he didn’t have any suitable clasps.

Further updates to follow…

Charlo
4 Aug '18

Does anyone know of a good cobbler in FH?

Can’t see on the service recommendations list.

Is the shoe place on London rd now closed?

Fagin
4 Aug '18

The only cobbler I know and recommend is in Catford the precinct the big cat end.

RJM
6 Aug '18

The guy on Station Approach at Sydenham seems ok - he’s done a couple of repairs for me.

Pea
6 Aug '18

The dry cleaners on Perry Vale opposite GPs does general repair and I’ve used them many times over the last few years. Sure they could do this sort of thing.

Nivag
6 Aug '18

The place in Grove Vale in East Dulwich is good, also I’ve used a place over on Gipsy Road along from the Paxton pub to fit new soles to a pair of motorcycle boots.

MDB6000
1 Dec '18

Hi,

I was wondering if you found a suitable place as I am also in need of someone to fix my beloved bag.

Thanks in advance for your help

honoracorn
2 Dec '18

This is 100% the best post I have ever seen on SE23 Life. Wishing you loads of luck with your manbag :briefcase:

Bolgerp
2 Dec '18

Nope. No luck I’m afraid. It’s still sitting in a cupboard awaiting repair :worried:

Londondrz
2 Dec '18

Have you tried Timpsons at Sainsbury’s Bell Green?

Swagger
2 Dec '18

We had a lad start with us in September who wore a manbag and it got caught in the mixer and he could’ve done himself some serious damage if we hadn’t acted faster than we did. He was still very shaken-up when the boss sacked him ten minutes after. Now we’ve got a rule that all foremen and chargehands must adhere to: I don’t care how desperate they are or if they go down on their knees. If they’re wearing a manbag tell 'em there’s nothing going work wise.

MDB6000
2 Dec '18

Thanks for the answer :wink:

starman
2 Dec '18

If it’s leather Merrifields in East Dulwich will do a great job. They’ve done multiple repairs to a much loved satchel.

Swagger
2 Dec '18

Timpsons at Bell Green can’t even be trusted to cut a key accurately, let alone potentially expensive leatherwork.

Londondrz
2 Dec '18

They did a very good job on my wife’s handbag. Mind you she told me it only cost her £10!!

Swagger
2 Dec '18

I had two keys cut by those clowns and neither one could lock or unlock the door.

MDB6000
2 Dec '18

Thank you very much! I will go there tomorrow and ask them.

Londondrz
2 Dec '18

Fair enough but the op was looking for leather work.

maxrocks
2 Dec '18

Go to the shoe repair guy on London road more or less next to Sainsburys.
Mr Liu I think he’s called I think.
I’ve had him repair several pairs of expensive leather shoes and he also does bag repairs.
He really is very good at leatherwork and is reasonable too.
Highly recommended I’d never go somewhere like Timpsons to get a bag sewn
they glue stuff.
definitely go and see him.

Popsy
4 Dec '18

Try m m drycleaners in Wastdale road they do all types of repairs and alterations from leather to making curtains relineing jackets and much more been in business for over 30 years.