Archived on 6/5/2022

Maths Tutor needed for GCSE preparation (higher level)

RachaelDunlop
23 Mar '17

Just wondering if anyone knows a good local maths tutor? We need someone who teaches up to A-level as the new GCSE introduced this year has a lot of AS material in it.

My son is working at the higher level in maths, but missed nearly a month of school in Jan/Feb due to illness and is struggling a bit with the new sample papers, despite being very capable.

I’ve posted on the East Dulwich Forum which is a great resource for these sort of things, but thought I’d ask if there’s anyone SE23 based I could use.

Londondrz
23 Mar '17

Hi Rachael, a friend is a math tutor. I will ask her if she can teach that level and if she is available. She is FH based.

RachaelDunlop
23 Mar '17

That would be great, thanks.

Londondrz
23 Mar '17

Just left a message, will come back once I have heard.

Foresthillnick
24 Mar '17

I’ll ask at work (I work at a well know local coed independent school) - some staff are local and also lurk on here…

RachaelDunlop
24 Mar '17

Brilliant - thanks.

AndyS
24 Mar '17

We used an online service - http://www.mathsdoctor.co.uk . It’s a bit like Skyping a tutorial and the connectivity issues got a bit frustrating (though that may have been laptop issues rather than anything else). But it was certainly useful.

felixtorrance
26 Mar '17

Hi Rachel,

I’m an A-level student studying double maths in my final year. In year 11 I got an A* in GCSE maths and also took the Advanced level FSMQ and got the highest grade. I did A-level maths in year 12 and got an A*, and I’m predicted an A* in my further maths A-level that I shall take this summer. Next year I’m taking a gap year and I’m applying to study maths at uni. Last year me and my friend set up a maths club at my school designed to stretch enthusiastic students with challenging problems and encourage mathematical discussion. It’s fair to say maths is my passion but I also know all the tricks and techniques required to get a top mark.

I live in SE24 and I’m happy to travel locally to teach.

If you’re interested and the job is still vacant, please get in touch!

email: felixtorrance13@gmail.com

anon5422159
26 Mar '17

Thanks for all contributions, but a gentle reminder that we’re looking for recommendations rather than solicitations here.

I’ve had a chat with the team, and we decided I was a bit hasty here.

AndyS
26 Mar '17

“Self-recommendation”? :wink:

felixtorrance
26 Mar '17

Oops. Sorry, wasn’t aware of the format!

Beige
27 Mar '17

The ad was posted in wanted/offered for a tutor and didn’t ask for a recommendation explicitly, so what was wrong with the solicitation here?

Would it have been different if was, say, a forum regular suggesting their daughter?

anon5422159
27 Mar '17

I was a bit hasty here - I’ve had a chat to the team and what you posted is fine. Apologies for the false alarm.

RachaelDunlop
28 Mar '17

Thanks for all the replies and referrals. I think I have found someone for now, but I’m glad to have Felix’s details in case I need them in the future. He comes highly recommended.

RachaelDunlop
28 Mar '17