Archived on 6/5/2022

Meet my new pet

Pauline
27 Jul '17

Meet my new pet, Sonic the hedgehog.

We found him last night on the Road. & fell in love with him.

He is so lovely, snuggles up to us & just nibbles our necks.

He’s amazing, and is fast asleep right next to me in his homemade bed.

Any pointers on looking after hedgehogs peeps.

mwfrost
28 Jul '17

The only thing I know is they eat cat food as they like meat, you probably was already aware of this though.

Pauline
28 Jul '17

Yes, we have been feeding him dried cat food with meat :heart:

smiris
28 Jul '17

The advice is that you should take the hedgehog to the nearest rescue centre. Also not every hedgehog needs rescuing - it might have babies somewhere. You can get further advice here…

starman
28 Jul '17

Don’t call him Sonic. They think it is stereotyping.

Pauline
28 Jul '17

Thanks so much for this, thankfully we did all it said in your post though not the hot water bottle - we transferred him to a bigger box & he is really settled & really comfortable with us :slight_smile:

Pauline
28 Jul '17

We can’t not call him Sonic :joy::joy:

smiris
28 Jul '17

Lovely that you’re caring for him but hedgehog populations are declining so it’s probably not a good idea to keep him as a pet. He’s a wild animal and could be released back into the wild if you take him to a rescue centre!

Michael
28 Jul '17

@TimLund may be able to offer advice as he found a hedgehog in Dacres Wood and took it to a recue centre. Dacres Wood may also be a good place for it to live rather than Dartmouth Road.

TimLund
28 Jul '17

Yes - here’s a web page to look at

https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/

Pauline
28 Jul '17

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I’m thinking that as it was found on Dartmouth Road it might be a good idea to take it to Albion Millennium Green incase it has babies nearby?

Pauline
28 Jul '17

Sonic the hedgehogs new home is now Albion Millennium Green, so look out for him if you’re there :slight_smile: