Archived on 6/5/2022

Misuse of Local Politics

starman
22 Jun '17

Right or wrong, this Forum has a secret private place to air all sorts of political thought and ideas. I was of the impression this particular forum Group was hived off from General Politics to limit political discussion to solely local issues to Lewisham.

In the last few days I’ve seen a couple of topics created veiled as local issues when it seems the topic is really more general or national in flavour but SE23 is used as an example. I also see topics which quickly degenerate into national issues.

The two examples which brought this to mind are More social housing in Forest Hill and Pressure to support Labour in SE23.

On social housing, the question may have been SE23 specific but the OP made it clear the issue was London-wide (not Lewisham) and the ensuring debate/argument focused on social housing not specific to Lewisham. In fact any discussion on local issue was abandoned almost immediately.

On Pressure to support Labour, the OP expresses fear of putting up a Tory sign in SE23, but references issues nationally, and seems to be using a perceived local issue to outline a perceived national problem. Particularly when there is no evidence given to support his concern.

Can we have these moved to General Politics?

anon5422159
22 Jun '17

Since we’ve been discussing it this morning, I think you’re aware it’s not “secret” and nor is it private (unless you deliberately opt out of it, as you did a couple of days ago). As we discussed in detail this morning, new membership requests for “General Politics” are currently restricted to verified members for good reason.

Yes you’re right and I will move several topics into General Politics where commenters have brought up issues broader than local.

starman
22 Jun '17

@anon5422159

Thank you. Coincidentally I’m guessing you moved the topic Social Bashing to another group. Was it Politicos General?

anon5422159
22 Jun '17

Yes - as you know, it diverged from local political issues in SE23 and Lewisham.

starman
22 Jun '17

I"ll take your like as affirmation. I agree. Should never have been in local politics either. But politicos isnt the right home either.

That topic spoke to SE23.life reputational issues. To treatment of members and mods.The thread wasn’t political in itself. But spoke to the purpose of politicos.

Best place for it is the lounge.

If you dont want to move would you add a note advising that as it has moved I can’t participate anymore. I don’t want my absence to be characterized as tacit agreement on latter points or interpreted as flouncing off.

Londondrz
22 Jun '17

Starman, why do you feel you get to choose where it goes? You have opted out of Politics but want to make some of it public. Why?

anon5422159
22 Jun '17

Some of the posts touched on SE23.life, as Politicos posts often do. But the content of the original post was highly political in nature, as were some of the subsequent posts.

I want to be consistent to your original request, which was a sound one.

If you want to debate this further let’s do it over PM, because people interested in Local Politics did not come here for a discussion on whether a topic should be in General Politics or the Lounge.

I will do this now.

anon5422159
22 Jun '17