Archived on 6/5/2022

Modern renovation of 1930’s house

Bandy
10 Aug '18

Hello,

We will hopefully become SE23 residents in the next month or so subject to exchanging. We currently live in Peckham and have been trying to find the right property for well over a year now.

The house is by the Horniman and is need of quite a bit of modernisation. Whilst searching for our home, we viewed a few of the 1930’s houses on Tewkesbury Avenue that had been modernised and we loved the the modern ‘box’ extensions to the side of the houses.

Has anyone done anything similar and would be happy to share photos of their modern extension/renovations? At some stage we will get an architect on board, but for now (and while we wait to move in) I’d like to daydream about the possibilities!

Also I’d be grateful for any local architect recommendations?

Thanks in advance! We’re looking forward to finally becoming SE23ers, it’s been a long time coming!

weepy
11 Aug '18

Can you post a picture. So we can what similar means ?

There’s a number of 1930s plus extensions up here in whittell Gardens and neighboring sydenham Park rd.

:slight_smile:

Bandy
11 Aug '18

Good point!

We viewed this property on our house search and really liked what the owner had done.

weepy
12 Aug '18

Wow that’s great! Unusual to have as much spare land as that to build on. The house round here only have back and rear extensions with an occasional small side extension.

Fixated
21 Sep '18

Hi Bandy, Not sure how far you’ve progressed this but feel free to drop us a call/email if you need to talk through options etc. We provide residential architectural design services in SE London… do quite a few extensions as well as bolt on new dwellings every year a bit like the one you were looking at. Email is mikail@fixateddesign.co.uk. I hope the move goes well. Cheers, Mikail

Bandy
26 Sep '18

Hi Mikail,

Thanks for the message. Our move has been delayed, so we’ve had to put this to one side for a bit.

We’ve now got on green light to move this weekend, I’ll be in contact in the next few weeks.

Thanks!

Fixated
26 Sep '18

hi Bandy,

Glad things are moving forward for you. Give me a buzz when you are ready. All the best,

Mikail

Kim_Clarke
2 Jun '20

How is it ‘modern’ when it’s 1970s style? - A decade that was hideous enough 1st time around. *People actually knew how to design in the '30s; now we stick on cheap looking boxes & excuse it as ‘modern’, our Emperor’s new clothes. I do not envy the neighbours…