Archived on 6/5/2022

More cars on the roads in the past few days?

maxrocks
12 Apr '20

Since middle of last week I’ve noticed a large increase in cars on the road.
this was especially noticeable this afternoon when the roads looked busier than a normal sunday and if I can add most of the cars I’ve seen dont seem to be taxis doing deliveries.
Today I did wonder where everyone was actually going as all Supermarkets would be closed and I did find myself wondering how many are just off visiting people?
I thought we were only supposed to make essential journeys using both public and private transport?
And surely sitting in a car is not a daily form of exercise ?
I’m not a curtain twitcher Its just been bothering me as the first week of lockdown I saw barely any cars on the roads but this has steadily increased alongside noticeable speeding and 'boy racers ’

marymck
12 Apr '20

If cars just sit on the drive for months without moving I’m told the tyres get damaged. So maybe once a month they need a little drive just to warm up the tyres. But I agree loads more cars on the road over the last couple of days and probably not because of saving the tyres.

Foresthillnick
13 Apr '20

I did notice that yesterday on the way back from the allotment - more cars round Bell Green that could reasonably be accounted for but maybe folks just forgot the shops were shut!

ChrisR
13 Apr '20

I noticed when I went to Sainsburys on Saturday afternoon there was definitely more traffic on the South Circular than I have seen for the past few weeks.