Archived on 6/5/2022

My builder/carpenter/tiler [no longer available]

Anotherjohn
22 Oct '19

My builder/carpenter/tiler has some spare availability over the next couple of months so please let me know if you’ve got any work that needs doing and I’ll let him know.

He is THE most tidy and reliable builder that you could ever imagine and the standard of his work is impeccable. Stuff that he did for me 30 years ago is still sound.

Foresthillnick
22 Oct '19

Does he do stuff like bathrooms - fit new bath, toilet etc…

Anotherjohn
22 Oct '19

Yes.
Generally, with bathroom refits there’s a fair bit of remedial work to be done before prepping and boxing-in pre tiling - and this is where he, unlike some other builders, makes sure that everything is sound and square so that the finished job is millimetre perfect.

HannahM
22 Oct '19

We have a couple of dodgy fitting internal doors that need rehanging and a cupboard door that needs to be replaced, possibly with a custom made one - is he good with that sort of stuff? We have really struggled to find someone as apparently it is a “small job”.

Anotherjohn
22 Oct '19

Hi Hannah
Yes, he does these jobs.
Out of interest, do you have any idea why the doors aren’t fitting well now?
Sometimes this is the result of a bit of movement in the building.
Regarding the cupboard door, that shouldn’t be a problem for the man who made this fire & TV surround from scratch.!

willmorgan
23 Oct '19

Hi John, could do with someone to take a look at some brickwork at my place that needs someone who knows what they’re doing. If you could put me in touch that’d be great.

Anotherjohn
23 Oct '19

Hi Will
You’re right - I’m gonna have to let Fred loose on here so watch this space.
In the meantime, is it a brickwork repair or a new wall?

Alison
23 Oct '19

Perfect timing! We need to replace the bannister and ballastrades on our stairs, and potentially other carpentry work (creating something built in wardrobes)- would you be able to send his details? (Long time lurker, created an account just to ask this!)

BrightStar
23 Oct '19

Thanks John! Could I get the contact details too? Thanks in advance!

Anotherjohn
23 Oct '19

Ha - that’s so funny!
As you’ve come out especially for Fred I hope he’ll be able to do this for you.

Now, with all the enquiries coming through, I thought I should at least phone him to let him know that I’ve put a shout out on his behalf because I didn’t have any work lined up for him. As grateful as he was, I think he was a mixture of touched and shocked that I’d done it.

So, the situation is this right now - he’s doing a bathroom refurb for the next 2-3 weeks and he should be able to start lining other work up from then onwards.

However, as he lives in Carshalton and the bathroom job is in Morden, he’ll be pushed for time to get over this way to look at everyone’s jobs so I said I’d be happy to survey and report back to him, after which he’d contact everyone personally. This might seem a bit weird as I won’t be taking any commission, but I’ve got lots of spare time on my hands and my experience in house building and refurbs and knowing Fred’s capabilities (having had him working on all of my properties including my homes since the late 80s) means that you’ll be in pretty good hands.

So, if you would like me to have a look or chat about any work you need doing please drop me a PM and I’ll give you my mobile number.

Anotherjohn
23 Oct '19

Hi,
Please have a look at my previous post as I’ll be taking enquiries for Fred for the moment and drop me a PM if you would like to have a chat before I pop round to look at what you need doing.
Cheers

Anotherjohn
24 Oct '19

@Foresthillnick, @HannahM, @willmorgan, @BrightStar, @ThorNogson, @Alison
Now PMd

Alison
24 Oct '19

Thanks! Have messaged you!

Anotherjohn
24 Oct '19

Got it.
See you tomorrow morning.

Alison
29 Oct '19

Was fab to meet you :slight_smile:

ThorNogson
14 Jan '20

A word of endorsement. Fred has just completed 4 days of work at our house and @Anotherjohn is completely right. It was messy work taking out two sooty fireplaces, filling, plastering and making good the area ahead of decoration, and Fred went to great trouble to cover floorings, carpets etc and to keep everything clean. His work was first rate. His general attention to detail particularly in the finishing touches in cutting and recreating skirting and trim to match the original was also excellent. Knowing how hard it is to find reliable people we feel fortunate to have been introduced to such a skilful and resourceful man.

Anotherjohn
14 Jan '20

Thank you for your kind words Tim.
I will pass this on to Fred as I know he will be over the moon.

HannahM
14 Jan '20

Agree - after an introduction from John Fred fitted three new internal doors for us. He did a great job and as mentioned above we was very reliable and tidy.

Anotherjohn
14 Jan '20

Thank you Hannah.
I will let Fred know you gave him a shout - he’ll be grateful.

JH
14 Jan '20

Hi
Is Fred able to fit a new corian kitchen counter?

Thanks

J

Anotherjohn
15 Jan '20

Here’s Fred’s number
07967 012935

oakr
23 Feb '20

Hi John

Does Fred so electrics as well?

Thanks

Al

Anotherjohn
24 Feb '20

Unfortunately not.
But I might have someone for you.
What needs to be done?

oakr
24 Feb '20

Thanks - I’ll likely contact Fred anyway for some other bits.

We’ve got a light circuit that has blown, but can’t find it on the box which I guess means it’s either been badly put in / not added to the new box or I’m missing something obvious - either way the lights not working and I’d like a some qualified who knows what they are doing to look at it and fix it so it’s done properly (assuming it has not been).

Hope that makes sense, I can explain more to your person, if they are happy to take it on. We might like some lights changing but I’d like to discuss that with someone again who knows what they are doing, but this bit is not sure.

Anotherjohn
24 Feb '20

One of my tenants has just done all the latest electrical installation and testing qualifications so I reckon he’ll find it.
Pm me for his details.

Queenie23
24 Feb '20

Hi @Anotherjohn - I’d like to ask about your builder as we have two bathrooms that need doing - both are tiny so i also need some help on rearranging them to make use of the space. Not sure how to PM you on this site though? Thanks

anon5422159
24 Feb '20

I have created a PM thread you can use for this.

Note to other members: Private messaging is automatically enabled when you have participated in the forum for a while. Alternatively you can fast-track this by getting your profile verified.

Anotherjohn
24 Feb '20

Hope you’ve got my pm reply now.

Queenie23
24 Feb '20

yes thank you very much!

SweetPotato
15 Sep '20

I’m looking for a reliable tradesperson to fit some internal doors. I found this post from back in Feb and I wonder if you are still managing Fred’s work @Anotherjohn or could I contact him directly? Also would it be possible to have Fred’s surname please?

Lj
15 Sep '20

Could I also jump in on getting the tradespersons details for some joinery work I need doing too @Anotherjohn ?

Anotherjohn
15 Sep '20

Hi @SweetPotato

Unfortunately, after doing a few jobs for some SE23.LIFE people, I put Fred on to an upmarket kitchen company and he’s there permanently now (but, thankfully, they let him take time out to do my work occasionally).

I wish I had someone else who I could steer you towards - although I seem to remember seeing recommendations on here for another handyman/builder.

Sorry, but good luck it.

anon5422159
15 Sep '20

Thanks @Anotherjohn for the update. I’ll mark the topic with a note to explain the situation