Archived on 6/5/2022

Neighbour’s garden infested with bindweed

FaeryCatmother
6 Aug '17

I’m always battling invasion of bindweed from my neighbour’s garden. It was annoying more than anything in previous years (although once I came home after a prolonged break to find a bay tree I’d had for years completely strangled). Now that the trees/bushes on their side of the fence has become quite tall, it’s requiring a daily patrol.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how to deal with it (other than asking neighbours to control)?

RachaelDunlop
6 Aug '17

Although I’m generally against using weedkiller, I might make an exception in this case. If you put up a few canes and train some of the bindweed around them, separate from your own plants, you can treat that with a systemic gel weedkiller without damaging your own plants.

Wynell
6 Aug '17

The other option is a pair of rubber gloves dip in weed killer and caress the weeds. You could suggest to the neighbour you would be willing to clear some of their garden? That way you could clear along the fence line sounds like they wont be bothered if they have bindweed and you could clear a foot or so along the fence line.