Archived on 6/5/2022

New Perry Vale street art

starman
7 May '21

By the All In One.

Fran_487
7 May '21

I watched them put this up today. Punchy!

And let the comments roll in 5…4…3… :laughing:

Jonny_Five
7 May '21

Nice brushwork.

HonorOakBloke
7 May '21

Hmmmm

God knows I’ve no time for the Government’s policy on immigration, but I can’t help but feel that this is going to cause more bad feeling than good.

Would much rather see positive affirmational messages on street art rather than confrontational stuff of this ilk.

LEON
7 May '21

Would be interested in the views of some other members

Anotherjohn
7 May '21

I totally agree.
And I like to see images that lift the spirit, which this type of thing doesn’t do for me.

JohnH1
10 May '21

I think it’s absolutely awful. Who sanctions all this depressing, drab political stuff? It would be much nicer if we could have some of the lovely colourful street art like they have in Penge. Just google Penge Street art or take a walk down Maple Road/St John’s Road to see what I mean.

BirdinHand
10 May '21

We’ve told the billboard owner who will arrange for it to be removed. Totally inappropriate to be using someone else’s paid for advertising space to make a political point.

Thewrongtrousers
10 May '21

It’s a bit unsubtle, but overall I think I like it. I like the fact that it inappropriate. Since when did protest have to be ‘appropriate’. I also like that it has highjacked someone else’s paid for advertising space. Reminds me a bit of Banksy but less witty.

GillB
10 May '21

It isn’t appropriate at all, but I suppose like a lot of people who do a job like there’s, they do get their fair share of abuse I would think.

blushingsnail
10 May '21

According to Wikipedia, the UK Border Agency was dissolved in 2013 and split into three new organisations: UK Visas and Immigration; Immigration Enforcement; and Border Force.

So whoever did this street art/political statement is 8 years behind the times.

starman
10 May '21

Politics and protest have long been bedfellows to urban street art, Banksy being a prime example. Art like this piece is imminently transient and will disappear sooner than later so for those who don’t like it, their concern will be addressed pretty quickly.

GillB
10 May '21

So not someone who is very savvy with the times then.
I must admit I hadn’t given the fact that they were split up such a long time ago a thought, but the sooner it is taken down the better before it really causes offence.

Poppleoppledus
10 May '21

It is often those who complain about how easily offended a certain generation gets, who end up getting the most offended themselves.

Nivag
10 May '21

You could say the protest art has done its job and made people think about the piece and double check facts.

Nivag
10 May '21

https://www.facebook.com/100609620374037/posts/1200984753669846/

blushingsnail
10 May '21

According to that Facebook page there is/was another advert in Forest Hill - near the Platform 2 exit I think. It looks like an advert for the Conservative party. Did no one notice?

Beige
11 May '21

I think you mean this one (photo from that Facebook page).

Thewrongtrousers
11 May '21

Love it.

Anotherjohn
11 May '21

To me they’re all the same.
Seemingly [to me] ‘guided’ by who’s saying what the most and the loudest on stoopid social media, which then gets picked-up and pumped into into us by our mainstream fake-nooze outlets.
A sham, the lot of 'em!

ForestHull
12 May '21

Looks to be a blank canvas now:

Anotherjohn
12 May '21

Add the word ‘for’ - because I’d be very surprised if it’s not ardorned with someone else’s version of art very soon.

starman
12 May '21

Street art can be collaborative… and sometimes combative. Next time grab your paints and have your say.

Anotherjohn
12 May '21

Now I can look at that because there’s no hate or anger in it.

Beige
12 May '21

it seems so - I wonder how long it was up. Perhaps too subtle for us lot.

In the back of my mind I saw the word ‘conservatives’ on the ad as I walked past in the last couple of months, but I didn’t pay attention to the rest and my mind could just be making it up.

Cecil
1 Jun '21

This post was flagged and is temporarily hidden.

Cecil
1 Jun '21

Yeah street art can be collaborative - how about collaborating with people who live next or opposite it and come out of their fronts doors, with it rammed down their throat every day…yeah less selfish self-interest and more thought for others I think…would be more useful…failing that get yourself an artists studio somewhere instead.

ForestHull
1 Jun '21

This topic is now in slow mode.

The original street art was removed a number of weeks ago and the discussion here has meandered and may now be starting to broaden beyond the site guidelines and local SE23 focus on what can be an emotive topic.

Please carefully consider the site FAQ before adding to any discussion here.

Anotherjohn
2 Jun '21

Or, is ‘Speakers Corner’ at Marble Arch still a thing on Sunday mornings?
(Last time I was there I must’ve been about 10 - gulp, that would’ve been late 60s!)

Rosered
18 Jun '21

I love the ones in Inglemere Road. They are thoughtful and beautiful. I look forward to seeing them whenever I’m headed that way.