Archived on 6/5/2022

“No 5” on Dartmouth Rd (previously Berries) to become pop-up Christmas shop, then coffee shop

Pauline
16 Nov '17

I’ve been told No 5 D Rd will become a pop up Christmas shop - then in the New Year a coffee shop.

Not sure if a Coffee Shop will cut it as we have so many great ones in FH already such as @TheArchieParker @StDavid & Aga’s.

A great Greengrocer’s would probably do well in that spot I think.

anon5422159
16 Nov '17

Previously:

8DFCA4BD-DDFC-45F6-89EF-445F0973285B

blackfiresong
17 Nov '17

I think a bakery would be a much better thing to have in that area than a coffee shop!

Dave
17 Nov '17

Seconded - Aga’s and The Archie Parker and (though slightly further afield) The Teapot often have lovely bread and pastries, but it would be amazing to have something like Gail’s / Blackbird within walking distance.

anon10646030
17 Nov '17

I would love a bakery too, I get nice bread sometime from the German Bakery Van stopping in Forest hill on Saturday’s
10:40 -11:15 Dietrich-Bonhoeffer-Kirche – 50 Dacres Road, Forest Hill SE23 2NR
https://thegermanbakery.co.uk

divya_m
17 Nov '17

Agree. A bakery or greengrocer would be great to have in the area. We end up in ED every weekend for both.

starman
17 Nov '17

Oh. Thanks for that.

Sgc
18 Dec '17

Grew up in Germany and main thing I have missed for last 10 years is the bread!! Thanks for tip

appletree
20 Dec '17

Bakery or greengrocer would be great.

HOPcrossbun
20 Dec '17

Just because we already have a few coffee shops in Forest Hill doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have any new ones. Aga’s, Archie Parker, Teapot and David’s all have very different vibes, and I’m sure this new coffee shop will also have its own unique contribution to the high street.

Also - the more competition amongst coffee shops, the harder they will all have to work to treat their customers well, offer them better prices and more exciting offerings. A stagnant high street can lead to laziness of existing retailers and, ultimately, their failure as consumers get bored and stop giving shops their custom.

HOPcrossbun
20 Dec '17

Sorry - just to add - from talking to the owner when in buying my Christmas tree - he seemed to have a lot of ideas and vision for his new coffee shop. I wish him all the best and will definitely try it out.

Anotherjohn
20 Dec '17

Fair play to them.
With all the overheads that come with business premises it make total sense in my book to take this opportunity to grab a few Christmas pounds before having to endure a barren period whilst making the shop ready for the new business.
I also agree that there’d be no harm in having another individually quirky little coffee shop.

anon10646030
20 Dec '17

Forest hill must rival Vienna soon

Pauline
21 Dec '17

Have to say, I hope it’s not a Coffee Shop as we have excellent ones already.

Greengrocer or bakers sounds good to me .

dlathwell
26 Mar '18

Hi do you know if there’s an update on this?