No overnight rail service on New Year's Eve

trains

It appears that TfL aren’t providing any overnight Overground services on New Year’s Eve to Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park.

The final train will be as per a normal Monday evening with the Southern train from London Bridge at 0035, instead the normal Fri/Sat Night Overground service will operate to and from New Cross Gate.

The last connection to Forest Hill by changing at New Cross Gate from Canada Water is at 0031 which meets the Southern train.

Absolute con

And the 3.1 percent increase in Jan helps us how?! Thanks for the info though

3.1% barely keeps up with CPI / RPI. And that doesn’t factor in inflationary pressures currently on the railway workers salaries which are going through the roof due to a shortage.

Another issue is that TfL are in deficit. They were hoping that Crossrail/Elizabeth line would open in December to fill the funding cuts.

To run trains overnight on NYE means paying Network Rail additional carriage fees south of New Cross Gate. The section of line between Dalston Junction and New Cross Gate is owned by TfL.

Is the failure to run overnight services on New Year’s Eve / New Years Day due to costs, engineering issues or just because they can’t be bothered?

Are other TfL services running as usual over the New Year?

Latest info is updated on TfL here:

Last year they provided an all night service on the North London Line and a full night service on the ELL between Highbury & Islington and West Croydon/Crystal Palace.

This year they’re providing an all night service on the ELL between H&I and New Cross Gate only, North London Line between Willesden Junction and Stratford until 0230 and some trains out of Liverpool Street for the first time until 0230.

I’d speculate that they’re keeping the access costs to Network Rail down by only having trains that run on their infrastructure until 0230 only, while running an all night service on the ELL core which is largely on TfL infrastructure. (Section from H&I to just before the train goes into Dalston Junction is Network Rail).

So why can’t LO or Southern provide something on our line until 2.30pm too? Southern are running to East Croydon via Streatham Common, Norbury, Thornton Heath & Selhurst all through the night so why nothing at all after 00.35 on our line? South Eastern are running from Charing Cross & London Bridge to Catford Bridge until 3am and from Victoria to Penge East until the same time. But then there are no late buses from either of those stations either. We really seem to have been forgotten!

As far as I know, TfL subsidise those overnight services provided by the other train operating companies.