Noise coming from above Matoom restaurant

Does anyone know what the awful noise coming from the flat above Matoom restaurant last night was? It sounded like someone shouting into a PA system. If it happens again is there anything that can be done about it? It woke my children up and stopped me from sleeping.

1 Like

Was it karaoke?

There was noise at 9pm on Friday night and again last night when we walked past at about 8.30pm.

It was really loud and did sound like a party or event.

Hello. We’ve had problems with the new tenants of that flat for a week or two now. Very loud music all the time with the windows flung open, chucking rubbish out on to the lane at the side of the building etc. They’re keeping my son awake at night and we’re not even in the same building. I’m trying to find out who the landlord is. Matoom said it’s John but didn’t have his contact detail, is that the same John on here who I understand owns a few places in the area?

Do you mean @Anotherjohn? (They are more likely to notice if you @ mention a user as they get notified :slight_smile:)

1 Like

Thankfully, it’s not one of mine.

3 Likes

Unlike other Boroughs, Lewisham does not provide a noise patrol service. You would have to record dates, times, of repeated nuisance before the Lewisham Environmental Health ‘Service’ would take any interest.

1 Like

Could a Land Registry search find the free holder or lease holder (it will cost £3), who you could then write to in the hope that they would like to know of any issues and may investigate?

Thanks all. Once the Manager of Matoom is back in a couple days I should be able to get the landlord contact details from them. I understand he is on holiday at the moment and will return to quite a lot of complaints from local residents and businesses! Hopefully we can resolve it that way rather than via the council which sounds like a pretty painful process.

1 Like

Good luck. My experience though is offsite landlords have little interest in their tenants activities, as long as it does not cause damage to the property.

1 Like

Thank you. I did wonder if this was the case as when I went onto the Lewisham website to find out how to report it the only option was to fill out an online form which they said would be responded to within two days! Not much use when the noise is keeping everyone awake!

1 Like

Such a shame Lewisham have ditched this service- if it’s not dealt with st the time it’s seems like it will just happen again when these repulsive people decide to .

I think the days of angry villagers with torches and pitch forks has gone . Shame .

1 Like

Have you tried calling 101? Can be a nightmare to get though to, but if you do they should be able to provide a quick knock on the door to quiet things down a bit.

1 Like

Just spoke with the guys at the architects. It seems quite a few of us have now submitted complaints to the council and also a couple to the police. If it happens again I would say do submit the report to Lewisham council as they are all piling up now. I will also try 101 next time. Landlord route has been tried and didn’t help. Direct talk with the tenants has also been tried and they turned the volume up in response. If (when) it happens again and if the council have not responded, the next idea is to club together and send a group letter to a local councillor. @Rachel I can’t work out how to message you on here but if you pop into the architects they can add you to the list if you want to be involved.

1 Like

I have just enabled private messaging for you. To send a PM, tap a username / avatar then tap :email: Message

Note to other members: Private messaging is automatically enabled when you have participated in the forum for a while. Alternatively you can fast-track this by getting your profile verified.

1 Like

From what I know about the council’s environmental health team, which includes having been at a few meetings and met some of the team on various occasions. As previously pointed out, they do not run a monitoring service, however they do work on a Saturday night, and they can arrange to change shifts to work other nights if regular disturbance occurs then. The main thing they will need is detailed evidence - keep diaries that note the times of any problems and if it is contained inside or spills into the street and when. Make recordings too, but only if safe to do so. If there are enough of you then form a little action committee to speak on behalf of everyone, get signatures from others who may also be disturbed but not reporting it. The committee can then take all the diaries and evidence and go to environmental health, speak to their councillors and generally keep on top of it, relentlessly if needs be. The better organised you are as a group, and the more detailed information you have, the better your chances will be.

3 Likes

The council’s noise service is not really fit for purpose, unless you have a regular, ongoing issue. They have clearly decided to cut the funding to save money.

A shame, as I used to live in Wandsworth and they had an out of hours service at weekends. You could actually ring and speak to them and they would come out.

But hey. At least we got those 20mph signs…

2 Likes

Good idea. If people would like to use the forum for this, I’ve created a topic here which can be used: Log of noise above Matoom restaurant

2 Likes

The council knocked on my door a couple of years ago after my house alarm decided to go haywire whilst I was away for the weekend. They are there somewhere.

In other words, the citizen does all the work, then hands it on a plate to the salaried official who might or might not do something.