Archived on 6/5/2022

Noise from Valentine Court

anonymous3
11 Aug '20

Over the last few months, there has been a huge increase in the amount of parties being had by residents in Valentine Court, an estate managed by Lewisham Homes. These are excessively loud as they use external sound systems, sometimes with an MC, and continue on in to the early hours of the morning. I count at least 8 loud parties in the last 6 weeks alone, and have a suspicion there may be one happening this evening. I know I’m not alone with this problem, and expect it’s something that is happening up and down the country, but that doesn’t make it OK.

Last Saturday (8th), a gathering of around 70+ people went on until past 1AM and had to be broken up by Police arriving in 3 riot vans. This is the 2nd time that the Police have been involved in dispersing a huge party here in the last 3 months.

Lewisham Homes seem to be struggling to a grip on the situation. I’m aware that residents from outside of the estate have written to Lewisham Council and their local MPs about this. It’s been an ongoing thing since before the Coronavirus hit, but got significantly worse during lockdown. Mandy O’Brien is the ASB Officer assigned to investigate this. If anyone wishes to add their voice, she can be contacted via email at mandy.o’brien@lewishamhomes.org.uk (please CC: asb@lewishamhomes.org.uk)

Just to add, I’m not against people having one-off parties and enjoying themselves, especially when the weather is like this. However, extending some consideration to neighbours when it comes to the volume of the music, especially at unsocial hours, goes a long way to foster good relations. That being said, big gatherings during Coronavirus feels a bit tone-deaf.

DevonishForester
11 Aug '20

Perhaps they are not getting the support they need from Lewisham Council. Seems to be a big problem with environmental health services in the borough.

John_Wilson
11 Aug '20

This wouldn’t time up with the police helicopters over FH would it?

Swagger
11 Aug '20

I’ve always thought that with council tenancies there should be a three strike rule and on your third strike you’re out on your ear. Such a rule might go some way to making people think twice before hosting an event that could put their tenancy in jeopardy.

John_Wilson
11 Aug '20

Then they would be homeless and the council’s problem!

Swagger
11 Aug '20

No, they’d be homeless and it would be their problem.

Alphabetbyrne
12 Aug '20

Got the same problem round the corner at Radcot Point. Flat on ground floor facing onto Inglemere rd. Almost every night loud music, Loads of people talking, shouting and hanging about outside of flat on balcony. Impossible to sleep. Council not doing anything. So disrespectful to neighbours.

anonymous3
15 Aug '20

Posted through the letterbox this morning.

Thewrongtrousers
15 Aug '20

As much of a relief to suffering residents as the recent rain. Let us hope change is on the way.

anonymous8
29 Aug '20

ThorNogson
29 Aug '20

Though this looks a very good intervention by Lewisham Council and the other local agencies on this occasion.

Twitter
8 Sep '20
DevonishForester
8 Sep '20

Better late that never I suppose, but action when the problem is happening is what sufferers want. You never get back your lost evenings.