Archived on 6/5/2022

Not receiving notifications of Private Messages

RachaelDunlop
29 Sep '16

I am not getting an email notification of private messages, although I’m still getting them for replies and mentions. It is turned on in my settings but no emails.

Also I was wondering if there is an easy way to reply to a public post, but make it a Private Message? At the moment I’m going to the user banner of the person I want to message and opening a new message to them from there. But I’m sure there must be an easier way that would link the message to the thread I’m messaging about, if that makes any sense.

anon5422159
29 Sep '16

Sorry for this confusing behaviour. It turns out the forum has skipped sending notification emails to you because you’ve been active on the site.

In your user preferences you can change this behaviour:

RachaelDunlop
29 Sep '16

What does ‘active’ mean? I probably left the site open on a device somewhere but hadn’t looked at it for some time. Came back to find I’d been sent a PM 30 minutes previously.

anon5422159
29 Sep '16

Yes - I think leaving the site open would count as being “active” (it’s always updating its view of latest posts, even when left alone).

Let me know if you still see this issue after changing the setting.

Brett
29 Sep '16

I can see Rachael’s point on this. Just because I have the page open on a browser does not mean I am looking at it. Is it possible to make the default to that setting to be checked? It seems a bit counter-intuitive to find it unchecked if having only previously set it to send email notifications.

RachaelDunlop
29 Sep '16

@anon5422159 - Will do, as soon as someone sends me a message…

RachaelDunlop
29 Sep '16

All working now.

RachaelDunlop
29 Sep '16

I just got email notification of Brett’s reply here, eleven minutes after he posted it. I’ve had a fair bit of lag on notifications now I think about it. Maybe a separate issue.

anon5422159
29 Sep '16

Another little curveball thrown by the default forum settings. I think some delay is appropriate (allowing edits), but we probably ought to reduce this:

Say, 2 mins?

anon5422159
29 Sep '16

Quite happy to change the default setting for new members so emails are always sent regardless of whether the member is active on the site.

Only slight concern is that members may get irritated with all the mails and hit the “unsubscribe” button.

Perhaps let’s give this setting a try ourselves for a week or so, see how many mails we’re getting, and if it feels reasonable then we can change this default for new members?

Brett
29 Sep '16

Ok good point. I don’t recall what the other default settings were.

anon5422159
29 Sep '16

If you can make it to the meetup this eve we can go through the forum settings together (including the default settings for new members) and maybe make some tweaks.

Brett
29 Sep '16

Sadly cannot. Will be putting child to bed while you quaff beer!