Nuisance Neighbour on Devonshire Road

The government just gave councils a £1.6bn bonus on top of their existing funding. I think we should expect them to provide existing services with funding taken into account. I suspect the problem is more with staffing and logistics.

1 Like

@anonSE23 I’ve just seen on Next Door that a few days ago PC Gillian Pearce who is one of the dedicated ward officers for Perry Vale ward posted that the manager of the car wash on Waldram Park Road had been issued with a fine for continuing to work during the lockdown period and that he was told to close up and go home. If you haven’t already done so I would suggest logging all the details relating to your nuisance neighbour on the met.police.uk website so the details can be passed to the Forest Hill ward team to investigate…

4 Likes

£1.6bn is a nationwide figure. This averages to about £4m per council. Lewisham faces £40m budget cuts. So in other words the “bonus” merely reduces the cut by 10% or, turning that round, still leaves 90% of the cuts.

1 Like

Bit of an update, heard absolutely nothing from either council or police even though mentioned to met.police.uk at lease twice. They said it was being passed along to Forest Hill ward team to investigate but not hear from them either.

He continues to operate the car wash and it seems to now be a hot spot for “car enthusiasts” to congregate, as people have said they block the road doing filming and photography and obviously breaching social distancing rules.

Not really sure what route to go down now. Had a word with some neighbours who are rightly fed up as well and all have confronted him only to be ignored.

In this case I don’t think it’s got anything to do with the virus. It’s more likely that the opposite is the case, that Environmental Health Officers have no restaurants to inspect so they might be freed up for other work like noise enforcement.

Try one, wait 7 days then try another.

Has anyone on Devonshire Road, bottom of Ewelm/Benson noticed the revving and car noise happens with great enthusiasm during Thursday evenings clap for carers… could we ask a copper to be around at that specific time?? Just a thought.

1 Like

Yup thats the same guy, I honestly think he believes that is his equivalent of clapping…

Looks like the cops paid him a visit today though as a few of his mates turned up and they were all just hanging out on the street. Music still persists though, but in much shorter bursts.

1 Like

Hi all,

I’ve written to officers about this - will let you know when get a reply (this may take a little longer than usual as many officers have been re-asssigned to ensure the continuity of ensure services and hope vulnerable residents during the pandemic).

Thanks,
Sophie

9 Likes

Amazing, thank you very much Sophie. I wonder if its just a coincidence but had a very quiet weekend for once, which was very welcome!

7 Likes

lets hope it continues

1 Like

I live very close to this nuisance. This has been going on for at least 4 years. I raised this with the council several times and had no response. I finally threatened action against the council by going to an ombudsman and they finally called me (however I was on the way to the airport and never returned their call). Expect Lewisham council to do absolutely nothing! As they have done nothing all these years with regards to this particular person. I also reported him to the environmental agency and they did send me a form to keep a diary but honestly the noise from his property is everyday!! Why can’t the council just evict him by now he is an absolute nuisance! I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night from the sound of his car leaving the property! My house also shakes from his music and I’ve just about had enough of it! Let me know if you get anywhere!

4 Likes

That’s a very depressing picture. I get the sense that this sort of behaviour is becoming normalised in these parts, and once that happens, it will be you who will get evicted for trying to impinge upon his human right to do what he wants when he wants to do it

4 Likes

Well he seemed to disappear for a couple of weeks but he is back now and back to his old tricks. Flat is currently shaking with the bass from his car stereo…

I have had zero response from police, zero response from noise complaints submitted and the only action that seemed to take place was from Sophie above. The area is full of young families and people working from home that surely also are being disturbed by this individual, but surely they have submitted complaints as well so I am completely out of ideas

4 Likes

Have you tried reporting on Fix My Street? Such a public posting might shame the Council into doing something?

3 Likes

Resorted to reporting him to 101 at the weekend as my eardrums were actually starting to hurt (no exaggeration). Was told “you’re not the first person to report him today”. Police were going to send someone out and then Sod’s law, after 5 hours of our house literally shaking from his music, he stopped so they probably didn’t catch him in the act.

With this hot heat we need to keep our windows open and it means we just cannot hear a single thing other than him. Our enjoyment of our home is gone. I’m at work now but have heard that he is very much playing the same excruciating level of bass today. It’s not even the music level, apparently the music isn’t too loud when up close it is the bass making our walls shake.

3 Likes

It’s just so selfish! I feel really sorry for you and hope it gets sorted out.

4 Likes

Thank you.

My advice to anyone who is disturbed by him is to report him to 101. When I’ve called them before they wouldn’t do anything as it was a domestic disturbance. The weekend was the first time they acted and most likely because of other complaints. The more complaints to them the more seriously they will take our grievance. Lewisham council are completely useless with this matter.

5 Likes

Can you check the address to see if it’s registered at companies house, if not HMRC may be interested if he’s taking in cash. If there’s any kind of tax evasion going on you’d be surprised how quickly they sort out revenue issues.

9 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Post moved from ‘Nuisance Neighbour’

That is grievous