Archived on 6/5/2022

Nursery Recommendations?

Ed
2 Aug '16

We’re looking for a local nursery that might be able to look after a 9 month old from the start of next year. We are on a couple of waiting lists already, but am interested to find out whether anyone has any strong recommendations (or ones to avoid)?

Thanks in advance!

Londondrz
2 Aug '16

Our two went to Faith Montessori on the South Circular. Both loved it and staff were fantastic. We still see them out and about and there are always hugs from the kids to the “Aunties”.

Chipcity
2 Aug '16

Our daughter attends Townsend Montessori that she has done so from seven months (she is now three and a half). She seems very happy there and although the staff turnover can be high I understand that this is not uncommon in nurserys. The other parents are friendly and like minded.

armadillo
2 Aug '16

Likewise, our little boy has been at the Townsend Montessori for the past 2.5 years (leaving next month as he moves up to ‘big school’ - his words, not mine) and I’d echo Chipcity’s comments.

Billing and organisation seems a bit haphazard at times, and we had a few tears when favourite key workers left through turnover, but overall he’s been very happy there - which is the main thing in my book.

Dave
2 Aug '16

Whereabouts are you? Our daughter goes to Young Oaks on Ackroyd Road (upper floor of the Ackroyd Centre). The nursery hasn’t been open long and is an offshoot of Tiny Acorns down in Crofton Park. Would really recommend you take a look - we’ve been very happy with everything there.

Emily
2 Aug '16

I looked around Young Oaks (before I settled on Townsend Montessori) and they refused to let me know the prices. She said she could tell me but I couldn’t write them down as management wouldn’t allow it - needless to say I didn’t sign up!

Ed
3 Aug '16

Whereabouts are you?

We live on Westwood Park, but I work on Havelock Walk. Rubadubs therefore the most convenient, although noone has mentioned them yet…

Thanks for all the recommendations!

Jerry
3 Aug '16

Our daughter has been attending Rubadubs for almost three years now and absolutely loves it. The staff turnover has been minimal during that time, its well run and she has learnt a lot and has a really good circle of friends. I cannot recommend it highly enough - if it is your closest then you should certainly keep it in mind - we chose Rubadubs over all the Honor Oak nursery options.

Dave
3 Aug '16

I guess people see things in different ways - we thought it was fair enough that they didn’t want to share their full price list for different days and sessions. Pretty much all of the nurseries we looked at had some sort of sliding scale where it was cheaper per day if you were going 4 or 5 days a week rather than one or two and they would only give you a cost for what exactly you wanted.

A few people we know send their kids to Rubadubs and all speak highly of it. Seems really well-run and staff turnover is apparently amazingly low for the industry. They do tend to have a long waiting list but hopefully you’ll be lucky.

Emily
3 Aug '16

I didn’t realise that - we saw 4 nurseries in HoP/ FH and they all gave us price lists or had them on their website. Why would they need to be secretive, do you know the reason?

Dave
5 Aug '16

I put it down to the fact that it’s early days for them and prices might change. @Emily, if you don’t mind, I will mention to the nursery manager that it was something which put someone off (no names, obv). They’re generally very open to feedback.

I think Pitta Patta is the most transparent - they have their day / week rates for different age groups on their website.

Emily
6 Aug '16

I don’t mind - I told her at the time that it was an odd policy!

Townsend, Seedlings and and Oaktree all have prices on their websites too

Emily
6 Aug '16

I guess you just have to hope they’re not charging different people different prices!

Moto_Hodder
8 Aug '16

I’m completely biased as my wife is a childminder, but have you looked into that option instead? More flexible than a nursery, competitively priced and low staff turnover!

Ed
12 Aug '16

Haven’t looked into childminders yet, but definitely an option to consider!

Ciel81
20 Sep '16

There is an amazing new nursery in Forest Hill called, Creative Stars Day Nursery. They just opened so have plenty of spaces. We are sending our 2.5 year old son there for half days (8-1pm) but they also accommodate a full day from 8-6. He is really loving it - which of course makes us very happy. :slight_smile:

Andres
25 Apr '17

:file_cabinet: moderator: moved into existing topic

Hi there
Does anyone have any local nursery school recommendations for my niece, who will be three in March.
Thinking Elliot Bank in Sydnenham or Kilmorie in Forest Hill, but keen to hear feedback or personal experiences.
Thank-you
Andres

ForestHull
30 Jun '18

Grace’s Day Nursery on Perry Hill is a reasonably new nursery. It’s been refurbished and has a nice airy layout inside, and there are 3 Directors who seem nice and have experience in running the sister nursery in Ruxley Manor (which is Ofsted excellent).

The small out door area is perhaps a compromise they have had to make, and they still have some agency staff though there is a good core of staff and they borrow from the Ruxley site from time to time.

It’s also open from 7 to 7 which is great for flexibility, and they were open between Christmas and New year when a lot of other nurseries are closed.

divya_m
5 Apr '18

Hi Lucy, My daughter is in Rubadubs and very happy with it (they also had a recent Ofsted inspection and were rated good). The staff are all very lovely, caring and communicative. My little one has come on leaps and bounds in confidence since she started 6 months ago. It has the added advantage of being very close to the station. You could also ask to join the SE23 mums facebook group. This question has been asked there loads of times, and typically parents tend to be quite happy with whatever nursery they pick, so it is really about setting up a visit with your nearest ones and getting a feel for whether you think your child will be happy with the type of setting.

Hollow
5 Apr '18

Rubadubs latest ofsted report they were given a 4. The worst possible ranking and inadequate. I don’t even have kids and even I know that because it was the talk around the coffee shops lol. Having said that I know a mate who has a kid there and he doesn’t have any issues.

armadillo
5 Apr '18

They’ve been reinspected since then and are now rated as a 2 (Good).

http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/index.php?q=filedownloading/&id=2761053&type=1&refer=0

oakr
5 Apr '18

Keep in mind what is good for one person’s child is not necessarily ideal for another. Some children are better in more structured environments, some less so, some handle anything.

It probably also depends on whether you want 5 days per week or less, and full days or just mornings or afternoons, or roughly where you want it geographically.

Dependant on your child’s age, school nurseries might also be available. Dalmain and Stillness both have such nurseries. Dalmain only did 1/2 days previously but now does mainly full days with some 1/2 days.

Both my sons went to Busy as Bees in St Saviours Chuch Hall on Brockley Rise which has lovely staff but is (or was) comparatively unstructured compared to some. quite a few children from here end up going to local schools which is also nice. I used to only be mornings but I think they do full days now - not 100%. They then both went to Dalmain Nursery which is ok, not exceptional, but ok and a nice safe environment and has had a nice mix of children and parents both years which helps.

I remember Seedlings looking very nice when we had a tour, but it had a 1-2 year waiting list - not sure on it now.

Childminders are another option - quite a few around - am happy to put you in touch with one I know well, though not sure if she has room or not now.

Good luck!

BrightStar
7 Apr '18

Hi Lucy, my son goes to seedlings and he loves it too. I was initially torn between seedlings and two other nurseries which we got placements for but I decided on Seedlings because I felt the key workers were very warm, caring and friendly and I preferred the smaller social settings. The managers are lovely and I like the fact that they address all my questions big and small very promptly.

Shan
21 Aug '19

I went to view forest Hill montisorri which was called townsmead or something beforeand had a very bad experience we arrange to meet the manager for a viewing at 2 we arrived to her having a cigarette outside. When she finally approached us she looked confused that we were even there. Very unfriendly and unwelcoming. Seedling is brilliant I have worked there myself and would recommend to anybody.

Cari_Hoskins
18 Mar '22

Any reviews of Little cubs on Boveney Road?

ARR
21 Mar '22

Would also be keen to hear any views on Little Cubs or any other local nurseries!

Pea
21 Mar '22

Our son is at Forest Hill Montissori. I viewed it back in 2017 and really didn’t like it, but viewed it again last year once it came under new management as we weren’t happy with our (now) previous nursery. We moved our son and haven’t looked back. I can’t tell you how happy our son is there. The staff are brilliant.