Archived on 6/5/2022

Old computer wanted

Satchers
17 Nov '18

WANTED OLD COMPUTER

My 14 year old is desperate to take a computer apart and put it back together and I’d prefer that he did that on an old one!

Does anyone have a just about working otherwise little use computer they would be willing to give him for this purpose!

Bottle of wine or other modest donation in exchange!

Many thanks

anon51837532
17 Nov '18

If your 14 yo is looking for a desktop, I have one which is a hybrid pc and multi media device which has not been powered up for sometime - can probably provide a a keyboard and mouse. If you don’t have a monitor can probably provide an old one of those too.

No gifts required - just mutual arrangement for delivery/uplift.

I would need a short time to ensure all personal info has been removed from the device.

weepy
18 Nov '18

I have an old Sony laptop. Never known what to do with it. Happy to donate.

phaz
18 Nov '18

I’ve used “MusicMagpie” to sell old laptops before - worth checking out.

Satchers
18 Nov '18

Thanks @anon51837532 that sounds great. I will DM you to see if we can arrange a collection when you have managed to sort out the info.

Thanks @weepy He says he wants to build a desktop so thank you for the offer.
I’ve got rid of several just about working and not really working computers in the past to EcoComputers who operate out of Crofton Park and Sydenham Libraries and do up old computers to fund community projects and the libraries. http://ecocommunities.co.uk/donate/computers/

Pauline
18 Nov '18

Hilary we probably have some at the library, I’ll check x

Pauline
19 Nov '18

Plus if you let me know the components he needs I can ask Des if he has any spare.

anon51837532
28 Nov '18

Satchers

DM did not reach me - are you still interested ?

anon51837532
30 Nov '18

Perhaps did not do that right. Let me try this way.

@Satchers

Did not receive a DM - are you still interested ?

Matthew_Benney
30 Nov '18

We have several old, barely working apple laptops in the house that we’re scared of getting rid of because we don’t know what sensitive data might be on them. (I’m talking work and financial stuff rather than racy pictures) :man_shrugging:

Satchers
30 Nov '18

Hi john
Yes please. I’ve just found my message without the send button pressed!

I can’t seem to DM from my phone so will message properly later!

GillB
30 Nov '18

Hi Matthew, if you take them into Crofton Park Library, Peter who deals with re-cycling & all things IT, will sort them for you. :blush:

Matthew_Benney
1 Dec '18

Thank you! Do you have a contact for him? Email or phone number would be great.

GillB
1 Dec '18

Hi Matthew, you can ring him at the library on 0208 694 9373. He is there Monday-Saturday from about 10 o clock onwards. I am going in today, so will tell him you are going to ring at some point. :slight_smile:

system
30 Jan '19

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.